PDA

View Full Version : anyone have trouble with a personal pace

Billpa
07-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Anyone have a personal pace and been having problems with the rear wheels?

I bought one when they first came out 3 to 4 years ago and I bet it saw 20hrs a week peek season over the last few years and to my amazement never had ant trouble with it other than the deck was of poor design and clogged easily.... Anyway, needing a mower and seeing that the deck had been redesigned I decided to buy another one....... well after about a week the one rear drive wheel started slipping so they replaced the wheel because some of the teeth had broke, worked OK for two days then started slipping again and by the end of the day that wheel was shot so i went back and they replaced the wheel and the gear on the rear axle and it still seems to slip every now and then but the other wheel slips all the time now so I took it back today and they looked at it and can't figure out what the problem is, so I left it there and they are calling Toro.

I do have mechanical ability and have looked at it myself so I believe them when they say they're not sure what to do, I don't see anyway to make it work and for that matter it doesn't look as though it should be skipping that much, looks like they cut corners on the new wheel design and it's hard to believe I'm the only one having this problem.

anyone, anyone??

Mark McC
07-26-2004, 07:53 PM
I have a Toro Personal Pace and the previous one experienced just that problem after several years of beating the stuffing out of it on my lawn, which runs very little short of an acre. My new one is fine, although I do expect the back wheels to eventually become a headache.

If it was me, I'd tell them to give me my money back or give me another mower and let it go at that. If the warranty is kaput, tell them the State Dept. of Consumer Affairs and/or the local newspapers might find the story interesting (this is your last card, play only when nothing else works).

txlawnking
07-26-2004, 08:26 PM
If you really want to fix the problem, Quit buying a homeowner machine, Get the Proline and be done.

Billpa
07-26-2004, 10:01 PM
markmcc,
I'm looking at a new ztr so I'm sure they'll take care of the problem once a solution is reached. Thanks for the sugestion.

txlawnking,
I'd rather buy 3 personal pace mowers than one proline. i do understand the difference between homeowner and commercial quality but i just happen to like the personal pace drive system and think that it is one of the most productive mowers for it size, no gears to change and limitless amount of speeds and a very fast top ground speed at that, it will actually keep up with a slow jog, i know your not going to be mowing that fast but in my opinion it's nice to instantly go from a slow craw to as fast as you want with no levers/no effort. like i said my last personal pace was used heavy for 3 or 4 years with no problems and it's still going so you really can't complain about a $400 dollar mower that can do that, i think that mower has held up just as well as a $1000 proline would.

like i said i know there are guys on this site using these mowers and i was hoping someone has run into this already, I'm sure it's probably something dumb that i and the dealer has overlooked like an improperly machined component or something

Mikes Lawn Landscape
07-26-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by txlawnking
If you really want to fix the problem, Quit buying a homeowner machine, Get the Proline and be done.

Yea but do you realize how many lawns he'd have to mow to pay that thang off. LOL:D

Fareway Lawncare
07-26-2004, 11:17 PM
I agree! People buy Homeowner Junk...Use it commercially & then wonder why it breaks...Like some of the Posts on Here from LCO's buying Echo Homeowner Grade Units at HD instead of the Echo Commercial Line...

Billpa
07-26-2004, 11:56 PM
Like I said I also agree with buying commercial equipment but gimme a break it's not like buying a cub ztr.

The problem with this mower has nothing to do with it being a homeowner model, it has a defective part such as a funky bracket or bad deck with the mounting hole slightly off.

hummmm 4 yrs and still going on my last Toro Vs one week on this one,, hay maybe Toro only designed it to last 15hrs since it's a homeowner model.. ok:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Mikes Lawn Landscape
Yea but do you realize how many lawns he'd have to mow to pay that thang off. LOL:D

not sure how you meant that but I'll take it lightly and say not that many

i have another situation for you guys to consider before you go telling me that everyone should buy the most expensive mower available,, i have a few accounts that pay well but are rentals in some of the less than desirable places in town which regularly have any thing you could imagine in the yards such as car parts, cable and whatever else they decide to toss out so what's the obvious choice for equipment on props like that?? If you think it's the best money can buy well then I'd have to say your not thinking at all.... And yes I know some of you will say then you wouldn't mow it but they are multi props and I also mow the customers other props and homes.

So I'll take the good with the bad and make my car payment spending a couple hours a month with my homeowner Toro that lasts over 4 years and when I miss seeing a tie rod end laying in the yard and take out my crank I'll go right back to the Toro dealer and buy another personal pace for under $400 instead of another G on top of the G i already spent thank you very much!!

txlawnking
07-27-2004, 12:19 AM
Bill, I wasn't suggesting that you buy the most expensive mower out there. Especially not a 21.. That said, I wouldn't even pay $400 for a machine that varies it's ground speed by belt slippage.. I wasn't raggin' you mower, I'm just saying, don't send a Homeowner unit to do a PRO's job...

txlawnking
07-27-2004, 12:24 AM
I'm doing a lot of work for a Realtor right now, Foreclosures.. I hit a buied Anchor for a dog chain and wasted a spindle housing on my Surfer.. Cost me $42.37+tax and a 160mi. round trip to get the part.. But guess what.. Who's fault was that.. Mine, for not doing my usual walkabout when I first mow a new acct.. Cheap mower or expensive one.. it wouldn't have mattered.. It wouldn't have happened if I had done my due dilligance.

Billpa
07-27-2004, 01:06 AM
I didn't mean to sound like to much of a prick it's just that I didn't expect such a negative response and sometimes I guess replies seem to be worse than they are,, it just appeared that everyone told me what I was buying or doing was wrong not knowing the circumstances that surround my decision to run these mowers.

i was very skeptical when i heard how the personal pace drive system worked but my old mower is just now getting the point where it needs a new belt which is almost unbelievable, i thought I'd be replacing it every month or two but have never needed to, unreal... i just can't stress enough what that mower has been through so that is why i can't see buying another model when i absolutely love the thing. If they can't work out the issue with this one then I'll move on but being mechanically inclined it appears to be mostly just some freak problem or something of that nature.

as far as hitting debris yeah it is pretty much are fault but no matter how good you look around sometimes you may not see something thrown out on rentals especially when it was raining almost everyday here earlier in the year and the grass was out of control, no way they'd pay to cut more than weekly on those props.. i did take out the crank on a 21" on one of these props the 2nd season of mowing, it was less than two weeks old I believe. ouch!! So that's why I'm a firm believer in what I'm using, as long as it holds up and does a good job what more could i ask for.

LAWNS AND MOWER
07-27-2004, 01:19 AM
What are the model numbers? I have a 20027 and it has grease fittings on the rear wheels. My friend has a 20017 which doesn't have the grease fittings.

txlawnking
07-27-2004, 01:21 AM
Man, I feel for you, I'd hate to waste a crank!! Especially since my 21" Snapper has a Kawi. I don't even want to guess how much a crank would be for it...

Billpa
07-27-2004, 01:48 AM
My old p pace has the grease fittings but the new one doesn't.. yep it is the 20017..your friend ever had any trouble with the gears on the wheels?

txlawnking, yeah I was glad it was just a cheap 21" it ended up costing about the same to just buy a new mower.

even though it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow for the second day in a row i guess i should stop playing on the net and go to bed, if i don't it'll be nice out in the morning, wait maybe i should stay up all night and it'll be 85 and sunny tomorrow:D

have a good one.