PDA

View Full Version : What kills (grass) faster than glyphosate?

Hustlin
07-26-2004, 07:51 PM
I wonder if there is something that I can spray directly on a plant to kill (brown) it within a day or two. Roundup seems to take several days. Thanks.

And I don't have a pesticide license yet.

Norm Al
07-26-2004, 09:12 PM
spray diquat or roundup with diquat at 8 oz per ounce of water and it will be dead brown tomorrow!

GroundKprs
07-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Mix Scythe with Roundup (directions on the Scythe label). Using Scythe alone may not give permanent control, as it is mainly just a contact herbicide. But Scythe enters the plant so quickly, I have seen weeds brown in 15 minutes on a hot day. Using the Scythe/Roundup combo, the Scythe helps the Roundup enter the plant. You get a quick knockdown from the Scythe, and a permanent control from the Roundup.

But Scythe really stinks, LOL! Very potent odor.

CSRA Landscaping
07-26-2004, 11:01 PM
Jim, does Scythe volatilize on hot days?

dan deutekom
07-26-2004, 11:34 PM
If the Scythe browns the plant that quickly does the Roundup actually have the time to enter the plant and kill the roots?

grassguy_
07-26-2004, 11:50 PM
Manufacturers indicate that the Scythe doesn't hamper the control of round up, but I've heard incidents where full control wasn't gained with the combo.

GarPA
07-27-2004, 08:04 AM
Never used Scythe but I;ve used Sahara which leaves a soil residue...does Scythe leave a soil residue?

Hustlin
07-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Norm Al I'm not sure I understand your suggestion. Could you clarify it for me.

(spray diquat or roundup with diquat at 8 oz per ounce of water )?

Chris Wagner
07-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Try Misty Repco Kill III.

But do not spray into beds or let it drift. It will kill bushes, small trees, and stress some large trees. Best for patios, rocks, sidewalk cracks, or other areas where vegetation is not desired.

Browning in less than 8 hours.

rubicacher
07-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Can of Gas & a Match

GroundKprs
07-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Scythe should not volatilize - it is not an ester formulation. I have used Scythe/Roundup in beds as a directed spay on weeds. Spraying under and next to all types of ornamental plants, and never saw damage later, except to the weeds I sprayed.

I suppose, if someone doesn't read the label, and uses too much Scythe, the Roundup may not be effective. I have never had anything survive the combo.

Sahara is a sterilant - prevents weeds from growing for months. As I stated above, Scythe is a contact herbicide - a dessicant: just burns the geen parts of plant like diquat, paraquat, etc. There is no soil residual effect of Scythe or Roundup.

PicturePerfect
07-29-2004, 01:27 PM
try QuikPro. Roundup and Diquat already mixed together. Works really well on annual weeds. Hit or miss of some perennial weeds. (bermuda grass)

Ric
07-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by PicturePerfect
try QuikPro. Roundup and Diquat already mixed together. Works really well on annual weeds. Hit or miss of some perennial weeds. (bermuda grass)

Picture Perfect

You bring up a good question I would like to ask. DOES QUIKPRO WORK AS GOOD????? I have not used OuikPro myself but my guys have. It appears to me it doesn't work as good as Regular Roundup Pro.

PicturePerfect
07-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Ric
Picture Perfect

You bring up a good question I would like to ask. DOES QUIKPRO WORK AS GOOD????? I have not used OuikPro myself but my guys have. It appears to me it doesn't work as good as Regular Roundup Pro.

Like I said it works great on annual weeds. (crabgrass, oxalis, henbit, poa. ) I get kill in just 3-4 days. ( Henbit overnight on a hot day)

I have trouble with bermudagrass coming back. So I have to use regular roundup or fusilade.

Apparently application is the key to this chemical for perennial weeds.. You can't "paint" the weed. I ahve caught my guys spraying a weed 3-4 times back and forth. The extra amount of diquat will kill the top before the roundup has a chance to get to the roots.

Give it a try. It works for me in most situations.

Ric
07-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Picture Prefect

U of Fla. Recommends Roundup and fusilade mixed together for killing Bermuda. Thanks for your reply. What I am seeing with Quikpro is spotted brown on the leaf and not real quick kill a day or so later. I need to watch how they are mixing and spraying.

CSRA Landscaping
07-29-2004, 06:32 PM
A note of caution regarding Sahara:
We had a customer that wanted us to kill some liriope around their pool and we used Sahara to do it (the reasons why I'll let you speculate for) and it killed a good-sized crepe myrtle 8 feet away. Apparently the roots were in the same area as the liriope.

timturf
07-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Ric,

what is the rate of roundup & fusilade to kill bermunda, especial common bermunda?

GarPA
07-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Jeff...roger on the kill power of Sahara. 3 years ago I bought a small container of it.....and its still almost full and sitting on the same shelf I put it on back then. Nasty stuff....but after using it a couple of times I understood why they call it SAHARA...just like the desert...everythings dead and brown for miles....hah

Ric
07-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by timturf
Ric,

what is the rate of roundup & fusilade to kill bermunda, especial common bermunda?

TimTurf

I use 3 oz of Roundup Pro and 1 oz of Fusilade plus a good non Ionic sticker at .5 oz per Gallon and get good results. Now the U of Fla. Also recommends 4 treatment a week apart for total kill out before re sodding. BTW This is just a little over label rate. But works better than any thing else I know of on common Bermuda. It can be hard to control.

Fusilade has a 7 day residual as a pre emerge.

p.s. Long time since we have talked, how are you, send me an E-mail.