PDA

View Full Version : Trim line color dilema

b & t lawn care
07-26-2004, 07:43 PM
They went and done it again......changed the trim line colors !!!! My trimmer uses .95 trim line. I used to be able to get it in black but now the .95 line comes only in floresent orange. The last thing my customers want to see is orange trim line laying around. I also find that I prefer the "star" shaped line, expessially when trimming around rock edging Does anyone out there have any info on where I can look to try to find the .95 line in dark colors and star shaped? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Avery
07-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Gator Magnum. Clear with a black center. It is tuff enough that your customers will not see it laying around.

HOOLIE
07-26-2004, 09:57 PM
If you have the time to worry about this...

Littleriver1
07-26-2004, 10:03 PM
Stihl has Green round and star

geogunn
07-26-2004, 10:04 PM
I understand the problemo.

when I am forced to use an offensive trimmer line color I always stoop over and pick them up.

I always carry a trash bag to dispose of the nipped ends.

GEO :eek:

dvmcmrhp52
07-26-2004, 10:09 PM
Personally if they would make a trimmer line that would last a bit longer I wouldn't care if it glowed in the dark and flew around the yard like a hungry mosquito....................

Orange does stick out in a nicely manicured lawn though.........

Oldtimer
07-27-2004, 12:06 AM
Trimmer line is to be used, not chopped up into little pieces.

Learn to use a fixed line head instead of the homeowner tap and go heads that come on most machines and you won't see any little pieces of line.

It takes a bit of time to get used to having 4 lines but your trimmer line usage will be cut almost in half plus you can trim much faster.

Gator line seems to be about the toughest line out there without soaking for a few days. It would probably be better after soaking.

Oldtimer

SouthernFried
07-27-2004, 12:23 AM
I've been waiting years for snakeskin lookin' line. Water Moccasin orange and black.

It's been such a disappointment.

I need a ciggy...

dustin ward
07-27-2004, 02:16 AM
i swear by gatorline woulnt change for anything

42homers
07-27-2004, 06:58 AM
I'm bout ready to use braided steel cable myself........I can't get anything to last nowdays.

Most of my customers could care less if they saw some trimmer line layin' around though.

Mark McC
07-27-2004, 04:01 PM
I find it hard to believe that any trimmer sheds enough line to be visible...unless your customers are wandering around with a magnifying glass.

B&T, are you sure this is really a problem?

A.J.'s Lawn Service
07-27-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Oldtimer

Learn to use a fixed line head instead of the homeowner tap and go heads that come on most machines and you won't see any little pieces of line.

It takes a bit of time to get used to having 4 lines but your trimmer line usage will be cut almost in half plus you can trim much faster.

Gator line seems to be about the toughest line out there without soaking for a few days. It would probably be better after soaking.

Oldtimer

What is soaking the line???

locutus
07-27-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Oldtimer

Oldtimer I was under the impression that fixed line heads were for those who lacked the grey matter to properly wind a commercial tap head.

Tvov
07-27-2004, 05:54 PM
How much line do you guys go through per lawn? So that it is visible?

We only use manual advance heads. At most, we advance one inch per lawn. That's usually at the truck, before we start trimming. Because it is a pain, guys learn quickly how to trim a lawn without having to advance the line. Sometimes, if there is a lot of edging by rocks/driveways/walkways, we may have to advance the line slightly during the trimming, but it is rare. We don't carry extra spools on the trucks, because we check the heads in the morning that they are full (or at least half full).

We use Echo orange line, round, and it seems to be plenty strong. I've never seen any line pieces lying about any of our lawns.

crawdad
07-27-2004, 06:10 PM
The only time I ever see any scraps of line from my Stihl FS85 is the little leftover piece that flies out when the spool is about empty. I probably won't even get that any more when I switch from .065 to .080. I have a HUGE roll of 080. I gotta take a picture of this roll. It is way huge, the biggest I've ever seen.
Crawdad

SouthernFried
07-27-2004, 06:23 PM
I hope you like that line :)

Steppenwolf
07-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Crawdad,from Crawdad Holler... when ya get rid of that 80 line go to 105 for your Stihl trimmer...Steppenwolf from Wolf central:-)

b & t lawn care
07-27-2004, 07:58 PM
I use a Tanaka auto feed head. I dont go thru a lot of trim line, it is just that i dont like to see orange or red in the grass. No matter how careful a person is when trimming around large rock borders, bits & pieces of trim line break off. My customers pay for their lawns to look great when I'm done and I feel having visible pieces of thrim line laying around isn't making the lawn look it's best. This never before has been a problem for me when I was using the black or gray trim line for the last 13 years, but now that it's orange, it just seems to stick out like a sore thumb. As to how much I use, I fill my trimmer head about once every three days. I have customers paying my daughter to pick up sticks as small as 4 inches in length, now maybe you understand why visible trim line laying around is a concern.

Steppenwolf
07-27-2004, 08:15 PM
If you have a Stihl trimmer you can make life a little easier by cutting a hole,drill it it what ever, in the center piece that seperates the two strings and instead of cutting two strings and inserting each in the little hole and then wrapping, slip your line thru the hole,make each end equal and then wrap both lines at the same time and that way each side is the same length and balanced and will run out at the same time.