PDA

View Full Version : What is it like doing business in Arizona

Turf Medic
07-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Doing some goal setting, want to move to Arizona in the next couple of years, haven't settled on an area yet, just don't want to deal with the snow anymore. Primarily looking for some input on what it is like doing business in Airzona, no experience growing rocks or landscpaing with cactus:D We primarily feritilize and weed control, all liquid, would like to expand with landscpaing, and ponds, would consider mowing if needed to make the business work.

Rex Mann
07-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Not a whole lot of mowing to do here like back East.

In AZ you have to become licensed. That means, take the required test for your work and a general business test.
When you pass, you have to get the proper bonds and insurance.

All in all it costs from 2K and up to become legit.
Many guys say they do not have to have a license because they
sub out everything. Not true. Many "contractors" are unlicensed, but the ROC, register of contractors, is cracking down.

Peace,

Rex

phoenixpavers.com (http://arizonapavers.com)

The C Man
07-26-2004, 10:44 PM
A friend of mine has family in Phoenix, and he says mostly people have like decorative rocks and plants instead of lawns? What about in central or northern AZ, like up by Flagstaff or Sedona?

Just an FYI - on the back of the 2004 Scag catalog there's a pic of a couple guys from Gilbert AZ mowing a deep green lawn.

Rex Mann
07-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Sedona is in the high desert. Flagstaff has more grass. However, they are in almost a decade of drought and the community leaders are pushing for less grass and high water plantings.

This is a picture from a job in Sedona.

Peace,

Rex

ARIZONAPAVERS.COM (http://arizonapavers.com)

capmaint
07-27-2004, 12:24 AM
There is plenty of grass to mow here. Not like back east where the average lot size is huge however. Most of the residential lawns are in the 2500 sq ft range. Lot sizes are small and houses are very close together. Every trailer in town has two 21" push mowers and a Walker. Walk behinds are as scarce as snow is...Gilbert AZ is the fastest growing city in America right now.

Tyner Lawn Service
07-27-2004, 07:20 AM
Hey Turf Medic, I live in Omaha and can tell you all about Arizona and starting a business down there. Email me and I'd be glad to talk with you. I use to go down there to do winter work off and on since 1986. We have it made here compared to down there! my email is lancetyner@yahoo.com