PDA

View Full Version : Id Like To Break His Legs But... How Should I Handle This?

Canadian GreenScape
07-26-2004, 09:47 PM
Ok heres the deal. Agreed to sub a few commercial properties from another landscaper this spring as he was getting out of mowing and I would have first dibs and the inside track on the jobs the following year. We agreed on a price and signed a contract and I started in May of this year. After billing him for May and June still no money in my hand. Am I an idiot for extending him 2 months credit.. yep. Call him last week ask him what the deal is.. sad story about being away etc etc.. Ill get the money to you on Sat.. no money on Sat. He seemed to be a top-notch guy whenever I spoke to him, asked about my Dad (who is sick) said hes praying for him, came across as Christian guy. So I asked around about him over the weekend... He was in a bar fight Sunday night, he has a reputation for non-payment, claiming bankruptcy, lieing, being two-faced, and to top it all off supposedly tried to rape a girl a few years ago. I already feel like ive been an idiot so you dont need to remind me.. what should I do? Take it to court right now? Wait till the end of the month then stop work on the jobs and notify the property owners of the situation? Ive never had to deal with this before. He owes me almost 3G :(

Trevors Lawn Care
07-26-2004, 09:50 PM
3 g? OUCH. I stop after 75-100 dollars. tell the commercial property...A contract can always be broken....UM SHAQ (now in miami). Have them sign on with you NOW..Dont lose anymore than you already have.

Trevor

geogunn
07-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Canadian GreenScape
He owes me almost 3G

THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS???:eek:

GOODNESS GRACIOUS ALIVE!!!

dude! you both need your legs in a cast!
just kidding of course! I detest violence of any kind!

GEO

robertsturf
07-26-2004, 10:22 PM
Move to the USA!!!

dvmcmrhp52
07-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Don't cut another blade of grass!!!!!!
3G's?
Courtroom,NOW!.

Mdirrigation
07-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Go to the properties you cut and give them the bill, they can be held responsible for your payment.

tom sumter
07-26-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Mdirrigation
Go to the properties you cut and give them the bill, they can be held responsible for your payment.

Not if they have already paid the other guy.

EastProLawn
07-27-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by dvmcmrhp52
Don't cut another blade of grass!!!!!!
3G's?
Courtroom,NOW!. Yep, and if that doesn't work, break his legs....

BCSteel
07-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by robertsturf
Move to the USA!!!

Ya, then you can shoot him instead of only breaking his legs.

qualitylandscaping
07-27-2004, 10:29 AM
go talk to the property owners, take the lawns from him and then sue him....;)

Mark McC
07-27-2004, 10:35 AM
I think Steve's onto something. At the very least, try to get a contract with the property owners out of the deal. You have to try to salvage something out of all this.

It sounds as though the guy you have a contract with might have no funds to pay you with, so go ahead and get a judgement, but in the U.S., that won't do you much good if the defendant is penniless. Sorry about the money you're out, but I do think you can get something out of it by doing business straight with the property owner.

42homers
07-27-2004, 10:37 AM
One word.....................BOBBYGEDDTIME!!!!!!!!

Up North
07-27-2004, 11:34 AM
I would be careful about going direct to the commercial accounts and signing them up. The guy that owes you money may be able to use that against you in court. I'm no lawyer but I wouldn't give him or the courts any reason to think you are trying to circumvent a contract.

Certainly wouldn't cut another blade of grass for him, whether he pays or not.

Buck

HOOLIE
07-27-2004, 12:20 PM
I don't know about all the legal issues here, but if he's not paying you and you've tried to collect, then HE is the one breaking the contract. Assuming the properties still need to be cut, I think you could set up something with them. Because they will soon find someone else if you don't.

I would try to document any attempts you have made to collect the money, that way if you get the contracts on the properties, this guy can't lie and say that you stole them from him.