PDA

View Full Version : loosing a job before you start it

rednecktjr
07-26-2004, 09:54 PM
a guy stops me at a yard i mow weekly and ask me if i could give him a price on some landscape renovation.i say sure so i go down look it over beutiful yard.i give him a price he says put him in my schedule.calls to days later and says dont have it in the budgetand cacels.whats a good way to keep this from happening?

cantoo
07-26-2004, 10:51 PM
And the smartazz answer for this week is.............Loan him the money..

It's likely better than you found out before you started the job that he doesn't have the money. It would suck to have him ask you for monthly payments or some other crap. Another thing is he may have found a cheaper quote, move onto the next one.

HOOLIE
07-26-2004, 10:53 PM
Make them give you $5000 before you even do the estimate. That'll keep them from cancelling.

I'm not sure what the problem is. What you described is just part of doing business.

GarPA
07-27-2004, 08:10 AM
last issue of Pro or Turf...I forget which one, has an article on a company that does a fair amount of landscape install work. This company does NOT place any customer into the schedule without a deposit at the time the customer agrees to the job.

Its up to you what the amount of the deposit is but you need to consider doing this....no deposit = no scheduling of the job. In addition, the deposit should cover all of the materials you need for the job. A deposit covering your materials is a common practice in any contracting type of business. We are not in the bamking business so ask for the deposit