PDA

View Full Version : Annual trip to J. Thomas

cantoo
07-26-2004, 09:43 PM
We just got back from a trip to J. Thomas to pick up some parts. I used to work in Michigan so we thought we would take a run over and pick some stuff up. Even with the exchange and duty it's almost 1/2 price of what I would pay here in Ontario. Sure was glad we got there early, I didn't know they now close the counter at 2:00. That's something they should put on the website, it would have been a long drive for nothing. Of course there was a bunch more stuff I need so another trip is in the works. One of the problem I always run into there is they can't cross reference parts very easily. I have a MTD Pro Z which is the same as Cub and Lesco, they always say they don't have parts for the MTD. I have the same problem with my Steiners, they are the same as the Ransomes Bobcat models and many parts are interchangable. Next time I will have all my part numbers ready before going to the counter, the 2:00 closing is a pain. For those who are wondering why I don't buy locally, I do but right now I have a set of blades on order from my Dealer (90 mile round trip away)for two weeks now. I don't need them right away I was there picking up some other parts and asked for them. And this is for a 61" deck he should have stock out his wazoo for this size. Any other Canadians going to J. Thomas? I need a bunch of tires and some other odds and ends.

tiedeman
07-26-2004, 09:55 PM
the Scag blades are the same size as the MTD and Cubs (just thought I would let you know)

HayBay
07-26-2004, 11:47 PM
Cantoo,

Glad to see you posted this.

How was the border crossing, You declared all your goods ? How long did it take to declare and pay the GST on items?

I know what you mean about the Blade Dilema. I have had this happen from 2 different guys here in town. I just got a pair of 917 Oregon Gator Blades for a Great Dane which were listed for Bobcat, Paid in advance and they just called, its 4 weeks later, to say they are in. The blades are a match also. 163/4 inch 5/8 center

I am down towards that way a few times a year. I would like to meet up with you and go down to J-Thomas some time. What do you think. Mabey we can get Fairway Lawncare on the way

I want to hit Indianna one day in the next year or 2 to get a ZSPRAY.

cantoo
07-27-2004, 12:43 AM
HayBay, we declared everything because I can write it off anyway. It only took a few extra minutes. I have a PST number so I only had to pay the GST and I will get it back when I claim it. Invoice was US$377.89 and tax was Can$34.95
Considering how far away you are I would just get them to ship to your door. I drove cause my wife says it's the only way I would take a day off. We did some shopping too. Get a couple of friends together and make a decent sized order, they ship within a couple of days. When I worked in Michigan I just picked stuff up as I needed it now I try to plan a trip.
We're planning on going to Kentucky this year we haven't been there for a couple and I miss the extreme heat.

MOW ED
07-27-2004, 07:19 AM
You really came across to get some of that Imported Beer didn't ya?

42homers
07-27-2004, 07:43 AM
I'd be more than happy for you to take the heat back to Canada.......leave really fast and see if you can pull some of it with you..............maybe 15-20 degrees of it.

Tharrell
07-27-2004, 07:53 AM
You can get the steiner part numbers on the Jacobsen website.

HayBay
07-27-2004, 09:46 AM
I already contacted them about shipping. They use Cabano Kingsway to get my parcel here. They wanted $200 shipping fee for a 50lb box at $300 in value, no to mention the GST. They wont ship via US Postal to me.

I think I will stick to heading down there 1 day. Plus Wriken is close to there maybe I will drop in and check out his Cub Cadet Fleet. THat is if I am invited.

cantoo
07-29-2004, 12:17 AM
HayBay, that's a real rip for the delivery. Maybe get it drop shipped to wriken and pick it up there?
MOW Ed the beer jokes are already starting "Hi My name is Joe and I'm cAmerican" Glad I don't drink the stuff.

rambler
07-29-2004, 12:26 AM
where you heading in bluegrass land i live just below lexington ky:)

Fareway Lawncare
07-29-2004, 12:35 AM
J-Thomas Stuff is Garbage...I'm in Canada too & Used to Order Lots & Lots of Stuff from them because it was Cheap.

Their Hydro Filters are a Scam...

Look Here http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62745&highlight=jthomas

Their Kaw Oil Filters Leak

Their Blades are Soft

Their Belts are Weak & Often Don't Fit eXactly...

J-Thomas No More !

HayBay
07-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Fareway, where do you do your shopping now for stuff. Wee Enterprises exculsively?

HayBay
07-30-2004, 05:36 AM

cantoo
08-02-2004, 12:55 AM
I don't get my hyrdo filters there. Not worth the risk for the few I use.

Again, blades, tires, glasses, couple of nuts,case of engine oil filters, trimmer line. Fareway we run good equipment so we never have breakdowns.:D
Where do you buy your parts?