PDA

View Full Version : When to seal new driveway?

gadfreak
07-30-2004, 09:02 AM
Just had driveway paved last week. When should I seal it? I'm in NJ.

thanks

PROCUT1
07-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Wait at least a year......Wait till the driveway begings to slightly grey

Mdirrigation
07-30-2004, 10:51 PM
There is a test to tell if the asphalt is ok to seal, basically when the water doesnt bead on the pavement. Buy a high quality coal tar emulsion sealer , add about 3 lbs of playsand to a gallon for traction. Best to do on a sunny day with temps 45 degrees and rising.

joe2106
08-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Is this asphalt or concrete? Concrete--different sealers at different times, but some are asap!!

Don't know much about asphalt, but email me any q's about concrete.

NNJLandman
08-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Worked for a paving company for a couple of months, they always told customers wait approx. 2 years before seal coating new pavement. You won't need to buy a expensive seal coater either as another member stated. Just buy a regular can of driveway sealer, you probably won't need the crack filler either, I wouldn't bother adding sand either for traction, if you want traction get the crackfiller seal coat and spread it a seal coat broom.

Jeff

straightline
08-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Six months min, do the water test first and if it dont bead then apply sealer, you can get it a Home depoe

firedude26
08-27-2004, 09:41 PM
2 seasons, then had it done and every other year after, that is what i do and it works great. The guy that does mine comes back every so often and touches up areas that might of gotten scraped from plowing.