PDA

View Full Version : No Speak...


dantelawn
07-31-2004, 08:21 AM
Has anyone hire non-engish speaking pesticide applicator or one that has trouble with English? The work ethic of men from other countries seems to be so much better that the American guys we have hired. If they could pass the license test, I am still concerned about communication skills on the job w/ customers. Anyone had this experience??

Tscape
07-31-2004, 12:32 PM
Hire Americans!

jajwrigh
07-31-2004, 12:39 PM
Learn to speak Spanish and remember something about hiring them. Hiring mexicans to work for you is "domestic outsourcing" so don't complain about a crappy economy down the road. I want to be clear that I am NOT talking down upon Mexican guys but thats the reason our boys can't find work!

WeatherMan
07-31-2004, 03:36 PM
Amen on that Jajwrigh

DUSTYCEDAR
07-31-2004, 04:34 PM
AMERICAN ONLY :D

grassyfras
07-31-2004, 09:50 PM
The reason our boys cant find work is there lazy because everything is handed to them. They deserve to not find work go poor and then have their families over time convince them of getting a better work ethic. Hire who works.

Ric
07-31-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by grassyfras
The reason our boys cant find work is there lazy because everything is handed to them. They deserve to not find work go poor and then have their families over time convince them of getting a better work ethic. Hire who works.


dantelawn

While agree 100% with the above Quote. There are certain Jobs that require the ability to not only speak but to read English on at least a technical level. Pesticide Application is one of those jobs. To hire and have a non-English reading individual, would leave you open to more liability than you want. I have two individual working under my license that do not read English at a technical level. However they do read Spanish and I supply them with Labels and MSDSs in Spanish for the Chemicals they apply, Roundup.

Avery
08-01-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by grassyfras
The reason our boys cant find work is there lazy because everything is handed to them. They deserve to not find work go poor and then have their families over time convince them of getting a better work ethic. Hire who works.

+1! I have 14 hispanics and two americans. One is a crew leader the other crew member. Over the years I have found the work ethics of most americans to be below par at best. Always late for work, always tearing up equipment, no show, quit without notice. I could go on and on. I hire people that want to work. Just happens that most hispanics want/know how to work. Plus all my guys are legal. Contracted through the H2b program. Poor economy down the road due to hiring hispanics? Puhleeze!! I pay everyone the same. Please explain that broad statement to me. :confused:

Tscape
08-01-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Avery
+1! I have 14 hispanics and two americans. One is a crew leader the other crew member. Over the years I have found the work ethics of most americans to be below par at best. Always late for work, always tearing up equipment, no show, quit without notice. I could go on and on. I hire people that want to work. Just happens that most hispanics want/know how to work. Plus all my guys are legal. Contracted through the H2b program. Poor economy down the road due to hiring hispanics? Puhleeze!! I pay everyone the same. Please explain that broad statement to me. :confused:

You want to talk about broad statements? Re-read your post. You can't make generalizations about anyone. However, it is always right to hire your own countrymen before outsourcing the jobs to foreigners. If you can't find anyone to take the job seriously, perhaps you should look at your own hiring process or rate of pay. I just don't know how you could sleep at night giving a job to someone other than an American.

crazy
08-01-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Turfscape LLC
You want to talk about broad statements? Re-read your post. You can't make generalizations about anyone. However, it is always right to hire your own countrymen before outsourcing the jobs to foreigners. If you can't find anyone to take the job seriously, perhaps you should look at your own hiring process or rate of pay. I just don't know how you could sleep at night giving a job to someone other than an American.


i think there are alot more factors then that.

i can give my opinion of why foreign workers, will be considered the better group of people to hire. i personally believe that they carry a different work ethic, as opposed to the general work ethic of our highschool drop/college drop out who choose to work in lawncare as a temporary job, and are ready to leave at any moment for a chance of a better job.

it seems to be the general course of hiring that i see my boss and foreman struggle with. my boss had mentioned to me, that the days of him being able to find hard working people who didnt complain or take random days off has gone by, with me as the last person he has hired that turned out to be a hardworker.

what makes me and the foreman possible dedicated workers to our jobs. for me i can personally owe it to myself to do my best at the job that is presented to me at the time, i dont think the job is at all below my skills or abilitly, i view the job, as one that i should make little no mistakes ever, and i can easily complete all tasked as of me. for clarification i am a 1st generation american, from a filipino family. as for my bosses foreman, i believe his reasons of dedication is loyalty to someone who has given a job for over the years and taken care of him.

from what i have always understand, the harder working, more dedicated person will always get the job, even though that may be a hard fact to understand. but more and more foreigners are becoming better skilled at these jobs, while kids in the age groups of 17-23 seem to be find this job to be below there status in our world, but normally are willing to work for a few weeks, quit with no notice and then leave

that is why i can understand one people would prefer to hire a person who is always there and oppossed to someone who isnt reliable. call me dumb, but i think youll make more money when you hire the more reliable worker

Ric
08-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by crazy
i think there are alot more factors then that.

i can give my opinion of why foreign workers, will be considered the better group of people to hire. i personally believe that they carry a different work ethic, as opposed to the general work ethic of our highschool drop/college drop out who choose to work in lawncare as a temporary job, and are ready to leave at any moment for a chance of a better job.

it seems to be the general course of hiring that i see my boss and foreman struggle with. my boss had mentioned to me, that the days of him being able to find hard working people who didnt complain or take random days off has gone by, with me as the last person he has hired that turned out to be a hardworker.

what makes me and the foreman possible dedicated workers to our jobs. for me i can personally owe it to myself to do my best at the job that is presented to me at the time, i dont think the job is at all below my skills or abilitly, i view the job, as one that i should make little no mistakes ever, and i can easily complete all tasked as of me. for clarification i am a 1st generation american, from a filipino family. as for my bosses foreman, i believe his reasons of dedication is loyalty to someone who has given a job for over the years and taken care of him.

from what i have always understand, the harder working, more dedicated person will always get the job, even though that may be a hard fact to understand. but more and more foreigners are becoming better skilled at these jobs, while kids in the age groups of 17-23 seem to be find this job to be below there status in our world, but normally are willing to work for a few weeks, quit with no notice and then leave

that is why i can understand one people would prefer to hire a person who is always there and oppossed to someone who isnt reliable. call me dumb, but i think youll make more money when you hire the more reliable worker

Crazy

Surly as a First Generation Pinoy you have visited the home land at some point. Look at the difference in work opportunity and rewards. America is the great melting pot and those who come here from foreign lands realize those opportunities. They work hard and try hard to educate their children and instill in them work ethic. They do get a head because of that work ethic. Our Industry is labor intensive and only those who work hard and smart get a head. Many people raised in America have had it too easy and could care less about work ethics. I say hire those who will work, Ethnic is not the point work ethics is.

Avery
08-01-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Turfscape LLC
You want to talk about broad statements? Re-read your post. You can't make generalizations about anyone. However, it is always right to hire your own countrymen before outsourcing the jobs to foreigners. If you can't find anyone to take the job seriously, perhaps you should look at your own hiring process or rate of pay. I just don't know how you could sleep at night giving a job to someone other than an American.

Part of the problem is the my area. Very little local labor to choose from. The large chain stores truck in workers from as far as two hours away every day. Restaurants use foreing exchange students. Look at my hiring process? That is rich. If I have five openings I MAY have one or two locals apply. My rate of pay is higher than any other LCO in my area. It is easy for you to sit and judge me and my business. But you have no idea what my circumstances are. And I sleep very well at night thank you. And most importantly I run a profitable business. If I sat and waited for qualified locals to apply I would have been out of business years ago.

Lawn Sharks
08-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Hire who works. Period. We all were "foreigners" or "imigrants" at one time whether it was you or your ancestors. I hire workers and fire slackers. Don't care where you come from or what language you speak. If you want to work you have a job. If you are a slacker hit the road. To the workers I says Welcome to the United States, the same country that gave my imigrant, illegal ancestors the chance to live the american dream.

Tscape
08-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Avery
Part of the problem is the my area. Very little local labor to choose from. The large chain stores truck in workers from as far as two hours away every day. Restaurants use foreing exchange students. Look at my hiring process? That is rich. If I have five openings I MAY have one or two locals apply. My rate of pay is higher than any other LCO in my area. It is easy for you to sit and judge me and my business. But you have no idea what my circumstances are. And I sleep very well at night thank you. And most importantly I run a profitable business. If I sat and waited for qualified locals to apply I would have been out of business years ago.

Look, I don't know what you pay your workers or how you run your business. I do know that there are a lot of good hard working young Americans where I live. All you seem to do is come up with reasons to run them down. Treat a worker fairly, pay him well, train him properly, and he should work well for you. If not, look at your own practices. You're claiming that the foreign worker is so much better in every way, and I simply say, "You are wrong." Also, don't construe this as a racist or xenophobic stance. People all deserve to be treated with dignity, but jobs in America should go to Americans.

Turf Medic
08-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by dantelawn
Has anyone hire non-engish speaking pesticide applicator or one that has trouble with English? The work ethic of men from other countries seems to be so much better that the American guys we have hired. If they could pass the license test, I am still concerned about communication skills on the job w/ customers. Anyone had this experience??

Not sure what communication you need to have between your employees and the customers. If you send them out with the proper paperwork, notifications and such, have them put up the warning flags, that should be the extent of the needed communication. Might cut down on the freebies :D.

tinman
08-04-2004, 01:05 AM
From what I've seen, I agree that Hispanics are generally better for this type of work or any hard physical work. I know there are good white workers but generally Hispanics don't mind hard work. I don't know if it's because they are used to hard work and white kids are used to watching MTV all day in the A/C.
I'm only 30 but even when I was young I never just sat around the house (busting wood, mowing grass, basically anything I was told to do :)
Let a white guy from down my street work one day earlier in the year, and he worked hard, but complained about weed-eating being rough on his back (20 years old, come on). Wanted to get paid at the end of the day, which I do with my buddy who helps me part time anyway. So I paid him & went to pick him up the next morning, & he never came to the door. Last time I had to worry about him.
Had an older white guy and he worked OK for a few days then started missing stuff because he was in a hurry to get back in the truck & ride. So I cut him loose.
My buddy whom I used to work at a factory with & helps me part time was out of town last week so I picked up a Hispanic day laborer who helped me 3 days. He was great. Could speak almost no English but knew exactly what to do & I will be calling him again when needed.

Cable TV was not around as much when I was a kid, maybe that is the biggest problem here nowadays.
That's my 2 cents

txlawnking
08-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Wow, you guy's hit it square on the head... We unfortunatelly live in a wicked, lazy generation....I could go on and on...But I won't

Turf Medic
08-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by tinman
I picked up a Hispanic day laborer who helped me 3 days. He was great. Could speak almost no English but knew exactly what to do & I will be calling him again when needed.



Another good thing about the no english, IMO you don't have to listen to the bitching about the wife/girlfriend/motherinlaw/taxes/gasprices/taxes/religion/politics/wages/etc, seems that they are always having a good day :D

The main thing that I like about Hispanics over whites, I have never had a Hispanic worker, male or female, stand there and watch you bust your balls trying to pick something up, they will ALWAYS put 2 or 3 people or as many are available to help lift something. However I have watched whites stand there and laugh while another is straining trying to lift something. They seem to be more family or community oriented, had a couple of them invite me to a party the other day, everyone was invited, they didn't really know who the celebration was for, someones birthday or aniversary, mucho dancing, food and drink.

ChicagoLawn
08-06-2004, 01:13 AM
Hispanic people are a fantastic choice for a long term, stable-business relationship!

Remember attitude is everything!

All the hispanic gentleman that have business relations with me and my company are property owners, family men and VERY loyal. They make the BEST out of the opportunity given to them.....PERIOD. The green industry just so happens to be the vehicle that hispanics choose to invest in.

Instead of denying a immigrant opportunity, you may want to give it a chance and see what productivity, attitude and long term loyalty really means!

Russ
08-07-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Turf Medic
Another good thing about the no english, IMO you don't have to listen to the bitching about the wife/girlfriend/motherinlaw/taxes/gasprices/taxes/religion/politics/wages/etc, seems that they are always having a good day :D

The main thing that I like about Hispanics over whites, I have never had a Hispanic worker, male or female, stand there and watch you bust your balls trying to pick something up, they will ALWAYS put 2 or 3 people or as many are available to help lift something. However I have watched whites stand there and laugh while another is straining trying to lift something. They seem to be more family or community oriented, had a couple of them invite me to a party the other day, everyone was invited, they didn't really know who the celebration was for, someones birthday or aniversary, mucho dancing, food and drink.


Very good points. I find I enjoy the company of Hispanics whether at work or not.

Geoffrey
08-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Gentleman,
SPECIFICS!!! Hire Americans for jobs in America was a quote I read. Mexicans can be and often are Americans so really I take it your not racist just patriotic. However I will offer up a specific example. I work with 12 Mexicans and 6 white Americans 1 white guy is lazy as all get out but he's been here 18 years. 3 Mexicans dodge work like it's some kind of game! The way I see it 4 out of 18 employees are slack asses that need to be replaced. I think it come sdown to the company and individual employee not what country or nationality someone if from. As always just my humble opinion.

Geoff

Tscape
08-08-2004, 01:07 AM
For clarity_ a person of Mexican descent who is an American citizen, should be reffered to as an American.

Geoffrey
08-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Turfscape,
Thank you and please forgive me. From my post above I'd like to add I like all the guys I work with. As far as work goes I believe it is better to judge a person not a nationality. As long as things are on the up and up and legal (H2B).

Geoff

Garden Panzer
08-10-2004, 05:20 AM
As far as work goes I believe it is better to judge a person not a nationality


That's the spirit...

grassredneck
08-12-2004, 11:03 AM
I currently work in IT as well as running a small LCO-My job will eventually go to India-I'm not bitter because I hire the best help at the cheapest rate that I can find-Thats CAPITALISM! Thats also why Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, etc. are making better cars & trucks now-The Japanese showed that it can be done better and cheaper (back then at least). I don't buy that you're doing America a favor by rewarding jobs just because they're from here-A responsible business owner should always run as tight a ship as possible and in doing so will usually (not always) find that the latinos are better, more reliable people, for less $$. Check the history-we used to have an agriculture based economy-everyone predicted economic wreckage when we started buying food from overseas, blah, blah, You get the point
there were marches on DC, etc. The economy works best

Rollacosta
08-12-2004, 02:24 PM
unfortunatly from what i hear a good many young 'native american and Brits are lazy bums ..i would prefer to hire locals but if they won't work i'm afraid i have to hire the willing!!