PDA

View Full Version : Garlon 3


MrBarefoot
08-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Is anyone using Garlon 3 or Garlon 4?

Lesco doesn't seem to carry it. I Have done a search on the web and not found a supplier.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

EJK2352
08-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Where do you plan on using Garlon Mr. Barefoot????

MrBarefoot
08-02-2004, 12:32 AM
I Well, I plan to use it against Japanese Knotweed, in the lawns of my customers.

I have some good authority, that Garlon applied in a cut-stem method will make short work of my Japanese Knotweed.

But first I need to do a few things, most importantly I need to make sure the Michigan Dept of Agriculture has it approved for use in the state. Since they are closed weekends, it will have to wait until Monday.

Then I need to find a supplier who will sell it to me.

Your question is a little ambiguous, if you mean what state? I will use it in Michigan, if you want to know what part of a property I will be treating, I will be working in lawn areas. If you have another area in mind, let me know and I will answer your question.

I can't tell if you are viewing my post with suspicion that I am a scrub. For the record, I am fully licensed and credentialed in my state and have over ten years of experience in the lawn care industry, three of those years have been self employed.

Do you use garlon? If you do are you able to point me in the direction to get some?

Thank you.

EJK2352
08-02-2004, 12:38 AM
The reason I asked is that Garlon is not labeled for residential use. It is labeled for right of way/ industrial vegetation control.

Neal Wolbert
08-02-2004, 03:59 AM
The latest from those in Wash. State who research controlling Japanese Knotweed say Roundup is the best. There is a new injection tool available that is specific for control of knotweed. Each stalk is injected with concentrated product with a hand held squeeze injector. A precise dose is applied and the studies show 100% control. More info. from my office if you want it. 360-491-7711-ask for Neal.

MrBarefoot
08-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by EJK2352
The reason I asked is that Garlon is not labeled for residential use. It is labeled for right of way/ industrial vegetation control.


Well, the label for Garlon 4 is clearly labeled for non residential use. The Label for Garlon 3 is not clearly labeled.

In the Garlon 3 label they do discuss treatment methods for grass (don't spray seeds, delay treatment until grass has been mowed three times). They also provide rates to control weeds commonly found in turf grass. There is also a section about treating around buildings and farms.

I guess what I am saying is that the label for Garlon 3, according to my reading, does not expressly forbid a residential treatment. However, I go the extra mile to be a responsible applicator, so I will take a closer look at the Roundup solution that Neal Wolbert is talking about. And wait for the MDA to make a call on Garlon 3 before I go any further

EJK2352
08-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by MrBarefoot
Well, the label for Garlon 4 is clearly labeled for non residential use. The Label for Garlon 3 is not clearly labeled.

In the Garlon 3 label they do discuss treatment methods for grass (don't spray seeds, delay treatment until grass has been mowed three times). They also provide rates to control weeds commonly found in turf grass. There is also a section about treating around buildings and farms.

I guess what I am saying is that the label for Garlon 3, according to my reading, does not expressly forbid a residential treatment. However, I go the extra mile to be a responsible applicator, so I will take a closer look at the Roundup solution that Neal Wolbert is talking about. And wait for the MDA to make a call on Garlon 3 before I go any further

From past experiences, I have found the label will clearly state if a product is for residential use. Your creative interpretation of the Garlon 3 label probably won't fly w/ the MDA.

MrBarefoot
08-03-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by EJK2352
From past experiences, I have found the label will clearly state if a product is for residential use. Your creative interpretation of the Garlon 3 label probably won't fly w/ the MDA.


It has been my experience that products not intended for residential use have "NOT FOR RESIDENTIAL USE" in big bold letters on the first page of the label. The label for Garlon 3a does not have this.

The label or Garlon3a does discuss turf applications. Even though it does not come straight out and say "Approved for use on residential lawns"

That is part of the reason I am contacting the MDA, not because I am making a "creative interpretation" but because the label is not crystal clear.

Frankly, I get the feeling that you are busting my chops over this.

EJK2352
08-04-2004, 04:57 PM
I'm not busting your chops. I wouldn't want to see you, or any other licensed LCO getting fined for improper use of a pesticide. So what did the MDA have to say about your intended use of Garlon 3 ???

MrBarefoot
08-04-2004, 05:55 PM
No reply yet, I will post here as soon as I get one.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Shady Brook
08-07-2004, 12:20 AM
http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Product.jsp?REG_NR=06271900037&DIST_NR=062719

This is the Dow link for Garlon 3a. It lists many different Locations for application, and among them is Ornamental Bluegrass, Fescue, Rye, and Ornamental Grass in general. The way I see it, looks like Garlon 3a would be fine in a residencial setting where Garlon 4 would not. I have sent an e-mail to a fella I know at Dow, and will post more info when he replys.

Jay