PDA

View Full Version : 4' gate

mr. k
08-01-2004, 05:37 PM
hey guys, question for you all here. last season i got a good deal on a 6X12 open trailer. since then i only used it for a 36 and 48 inch WB. well business is growing so its time for a ztr. well i'm worried that the slope on the gate is too steep for a ztr and will scrape the bottom of it when it is loaded onto the trailer. any suggestions as far as any type of gate extensions? should i get a new gate (how much?), new trailer???, use 2"X12" wooden ramps? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......thanks guys in advance............i know i should have passed on the good deal, but hindsight's 20/20.....

LawnScapers of Dayton
08-01-2004, 05:56 PM
My Stander scrapes a little but it is no big deal. It is 61" deck, not that it matters......

You can:
-raise your hitch ball a little
-just deal with it
-spend $300+ on a new gate

Now that I think about it, if your ZTR has a adjustable deck you should not have a problem.

Derek

kipper
08-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Do you tow with a reciever hitch? If so turn the reciever part around so that the ball is sitting as high as it can. This will decrease the angle on the gate.

lawncare3
08-02-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by kipper
Do you tow with a reciever hitch? If so turn the reciever part around so that the ball is sitting as high as it can. This will decrease the angle on the gate.

More wear and tear on hitch and coupler. I had one that was like that it gave me about 1-2' extra gate and it was great but lowering the jack was a pita because u had to have two cinder blocks underneath it to make it be there with equipment on it.

kipper
08-02-2004, 09:49 AM
What kind of jack did you have? My jack swings away and has a wheel on it.

GLS
08-02-2004, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't try to lower the back end by raising the front (via coupler height). It is not safe. The trailer should sit as level as possible.

kipper
08-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Sorry meant to clarify don't look like a dumb @$$ if you do it. It can be unsafe. But you would be amazed how many people have it going the other way.

lawncare3
08-05-2004, 07:03 PM
What kind of jack did you have? My jack swings away and has a wheel on it.

I have a welded in permenant jack. It doesen't swing away. It's made by bulldogg. And it is just a pipe on the bottom not even a closed bottom. Just a pipe. :angry: I can't believe the price for the trailer and what you can get in this area. It was the best trailer for the money but their VERY overpriced here. I paid $1250 for a 5x10 single with a jack and 4' gate. :cry:

BSDeality
08-05-2004, 07:36 PM
the 4' gate will be fine. just lift the deck up before you go up and down with the Z.

Lawn Sharks
08-10-2004, 10:02 AM
Drive to your ZTR dealer with the trailer and try it. Probably will work fine if the deck is up all the way.

kipper
08-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Lawncare3, So when you drop your trailer you have to wind the jack all the way down. On mine you just swing it down, crank it a few time to get it off the ball and your done. It was only $30.00

fixer67
08-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Well if you are thing about putting a longer gate on it you better check local codes first. A friend of mind put a 48" tall gate on his trailer because his mower deck kept getting hung up. He got pulled and got a ticket for the gate being too high. The local limit was told to him as being 36" max. He just cut the trailer gate down to 12" and started using ramps.

BSDeality
08-15-2004, 08:10 PM
gate was too high? wtf? i've never heard of that.

fixer67
08-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by BSDeality
gate was too high? wtf? i've never heard of that.

Well in Polk country NC that is the case. I do not fully understand it but the police told him that it could not be any higher than 36". Tall gates cough too much wind and blocked the view too much. I though that was B.S. seeing as the gate is made out of expanded metal. All I know is he had to take the trailer off the road until he could get it cut down. NC is nuts on trailers any way. One man told me that they (NC DMV) see a 4 X 8 trailer the same as a 50 ft semi trailer. To them a trailer is a trailer no mater the size. I have been wanting to get a trailer for my car but what little I would use it , it is not worth the tag and reg plus ins. Now in SC you do not even have to have lights on a trailer as long as you can see the light of what is pulling it. I live on the state line in-between NC & SC and you see trailers of every type in SC but you will very rarely see any NC. NC DMV is a joke when it comes to trailers. Some ins companies in NC will not even give you any coverage for a homebuilt. It has to have "papers" just like a car.
I help build a trailer a few years back and we like to never got it on the road. Had to get numbers welded on it and he (the owner) had to pay to have some one look at it and make up papers saying it was OK for the road. Any of you out there in NC tell us how it is for trailers in your area. Polk Country is nuts.

tacraven
08-16-2004, 12:26 AM
Put a piece of 1x6 down on the floor of the trailer. First, ride the mower up the ramp and see where the front tires are when the spindle bolts are where they would scrape. Screw down the wood where the tires are at that point. The piece of wood will give the extra lift needed where it is needed. The place where the wood goes should cover the necessary area when you back out because of the caster front wheels. Backing out puts the front wheels a few inches forward when they are in reverse motion.

lawncare3
08-16-2004, 06:21 PM
Lawncare3, So when you drop your trailer you have to wind the jack all the way down. On mine you just swing it down, crank it a few time to get it off the ball and your done. It was only $30.00

It only extends to a certian length. If I have equipment loaded on it it needs two cinder blocks to keep it at the extreme height that the truck has. The truck was kind of lifted so it only extends to 2' but the height of the balls aare about 3.5' so it is kind of hard to lift up a 800# loaded tounge of a trailer. The jack only extends so far and without a reciever hitch on the truck it don't work.

2k1yzfr1
08-16-2004, 11:44 PM
When I ordered my 18' open trailer last year I forgot to get a dovetail resulting in my ztr dragging the deck when coming off. I took it to the place where I bought it and they cut a notch about 2' from the back of the trailer and bent it down, after that they welded a piece of 1/4 plate across the notch for strength. It should take someone who knows what they are doing more than an hour to do. Something to think about.

hosejockey2002
08-17-2004, 12:57 AM
Well in Polk country NC that is the case. I do not fully understand it but the police told him that it could not be any higher than 36". Tall gates cough too much wind and blocked the view too much. I though that was B.S. seeing as the gate is made out of expanded metal. All I know is he had to take the trailer off the road until he could get it cut down.

That is nuts. I don't suppose it occured to these mouth-breathing morons that something like a travel trailer blocks the view and catches more wind than a 48" gate on an open trailer.