PDA

View Full Version : red dye fuel use in skid steer

Cobra93CPR
08-02-2004, 03:10 AM
Im in MN and just starting skid steer service. I just hear red dye diesel is allowed in skid steer if you are a business. Is this true?

Thank you

Avery
08-02-2004, 08:32 AM
Yep. Dyed fuel is for off road use such as const. and farm equipment.

chuckers
08-02-2004, 05:26 PM
red fuel is just a non-taxed fuel you can run it in anything except for highway use (public road) .....

Mdirrigation
08-02-2004, 07:13 PM
But there can be 2 types of dyed fuel, one is high sulfur commonly sold as heating oil and the other is dyed diesel which is low sulfur , and the same as regular diesel . I ran a oil truck over the winter , when the line was long to fill up with heating oil we spent 2 cents more a gallon and got dyed diesel rather than wait 2 hours

coopers
08-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Yeah, just make sure it DOES NOT get into anything other than 'off road...' we had a rep. from the IRS or whatever checkin' our stuff out....

Blake
WA

Scag48
08-04-2004, 01:53 PM
I've heard this and wonder if it's true, but does road diesel have lower sulfur than off road? Heard about a guy around here that had a diesel truck that he was using for farm use, just off road and said that it ran better with off road diesel in it because it had a higher sulfur content. Needless to say I don't run road diesel in our skid steer.

Avery
08-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Yep. Off road has more sulfur.

bigz1001
08-05-2004, 09:55 AM
We use 12,000 gallons of off-road diesel fuel per 24 hour period, and none of it is high sulfur. It is regular diesel with a dye in it, it's not a cheaper quality product, the price diffrence is in the taxes that apply to it. We run it in Loaders, Dozers, Rock Trucks, Excavators, Buses, and pickups with no problems.

D Felix
08-05-2004, 08:11 PM
One thing to watch out for is switching back and forth between the high and low sulfur fuels.

I don't know how much it affects equipment like skidsteers and tractors, but my father used to run off-road fuel in his 1-ton truck. Occasionally he would get a tank or two from the gas station. He found out the hard way that doing that can cause problems with the diaphram in the fuel pump. He's got an '89 Dodge with a Cummins, so the newer diesels may not be affected as badly.

My advice would be to get a tank from your local co-op and have them fill it with off-road fuel. Chances are the fuel will be consistant with every load....

I've known other fuel delievery companies to buy whichever is cheapest, either the low or high sulfur and dye it red when needed..... You don't mind the cheaper part until something goes wrong..............

Dan

Grassmechanic
08-06-2004, 07:29 AM
Low sulfur, high sulfur, it won't matter. The EPA is cracking down on diesel emissions. It will ALL be low sulfur in the near future.

Mdirrigation
08-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by D Felix
One thing to watch out for is switching back and forth between the high and low sulfur fuels.

I've known other fuel delievery companies to buy whichever is cheapest, either the low or high sulfur and dye it red when needed..... You don't mind the cheaper part until something goes wrong..............

Dan

The fuel delivery companies dont add the dye, its done at the loading rack , all the red dye does is identify that its non road tax fuel. As far as high and low sulfer the only way to truly know is to look at the load ticket that the driver of the fuel truck carries .

D Felix
08-14-2004, 10:12 AM
The fuel delivery companies dont add the dye, its done at the loading rack
You're picking nits here, but the point was that just because it's red doesn't mean that it's high sulfur....

Dan