PDA

View Full Version : Power Brooming Parking Lots.

MOW ED
05-29-2000, 10:42 AM
I am wondering if any of you power broom or sweep parking lots as part of a commercial bid or as a one time service?<br>Do you charge by the hour-sq ft or what? I have a Walker that can be equipped with a power broom and I am considering testing the market but I would like to have some info before I get into it. <br>Any help that you may want to give is appreciated. I'm not looking to steal trade secrets or look for professional consulting advise - I'm just curious, Thanks.

mountainviewland
05-29-2000, 10:57 AM
When I bid any job I include time for cleaning lots driveways and along curbs. We charge by the hour. I dont have a power broom although I am curious to what kind of job they would do. Currantly we use push and backpack blowers.<p>----------<br>Steve<br>Mountain View Landscaping

Guido
05-29-2000, 11:05 AM
*I'm not looking for professional consulting advise* <br>Good.......I used to have to do 3 parking lots for a church I used to do total grounds maintenance for. Also two mid size industrial building parking lots. Depending on where your at should tell you the amount of work you can get. Is there a lot of sand used in the winter months? Thats where the money is. I used to charge an hourly rate to the church (that I started with), and once I did that for 2 seasons, I figured out how long it takes me for x square feet, and started pricing other jobs by that amount. I'm not familiar with the walker sweeper. Does it pick up the debris?? If it doesn't don't forget to allot time for loading the sand/debris and hauling/dumping fee. I used to use a BCS multi-purpose walkbehind with a front broom (it also has sickle bar, mowers, snowblower, tiller attatchments) for smaller jobs, but it got to be a pain to load all the material by hand. For the bigger jobs I would recomend renting a Bobcat with one of their sweepers because it picks up the debris and youcan dump it into a truck, etc. A lot less work! I also used to get a lot of requests from my older, (less patient) customers to clean the 6'-10' of sand in front of their property in the spring time. They didn't want to wait for the street sweeper I guess. There is money in it, but like I said, unless you have a sweeper like on a skidsteer or trctor, it gets to be a hassle. Also...one more tip........if possible wet the area down before you do the jobs. I used to end up having to pay for car washes, etc because of neighbors who got &quot;dusted out&quot;! Hope it helps!<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: guido

Nilsson Associates
05-30-2000, 06:26 AM
Usually priced by the job<br>Spring cleanup of sand<br>Later - ongoing - litter routes for steady income<br>Look into Tennant Sweeper line of trailerable riding equipment<p>A-1

Nilsson Associates
05-30-2000, 03:35 PM
More info:<br>using a Tennant earns from $65 to $100 hrly<br>beats doing the hard way<br>you'll soon have more work than can handle<br>you'll start a sweeping division separate<br>window is 12 weeks on sand unlimited litter<p>A-1

Nilsson Associates
05-30-2000, 04:02 PM
More info ...<br>A-1 is crankin today !!<br>Tennant is the best sweeper choice<br>Get the propane setup so you do inside work<br>Parking garages make good cust base<br>Dont worry about cost, payback happens<p><br>A-1

Nilsson Associates
05-30-2000, 04:07 PM
Still more ?<p>Start a pavement service<br>sweeping,<br>litter route<br>line marking - parking lot stripes<br>pot hole fix<br>seal coating add<br>will require half dozen employees<br>north? 8 mos window, inside when cold<br>south? no window shut down<p>A-1

richard2
05-31-2000, 08:34 PM
Billy Goats work great for hard surface and are priced so one may own one for even under $1000.

mowerconsultant
05-31-2000, 08:38 PM
tennant is not the &quot;best&quot;<br>there are others out there that perform better.<br>one is called a madvac, they are made in montreal qb, canada.

Nilsson Associates
06-01-2000, 06:12 AM
Tennant is the best far as I'm concerned, they have over 80% of American market so must be doing something right. Try em, you'll like em. I don't get paid to endorse<br>products (although I should) but if you can prove to me that your brand is better go ahead ... prove it right here on these boards. <p>Phil Nilsson<br>Nilsson Associates<br>Green Industry Consultants<p><p><br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Nilsson Associates

HOMER
06-01-2000, 06:20 AM
I have an 84 model tennant sweeper that I will gladly sell for $2000.00 I had the engine rebuilt and it cost me $1980.00 for that. Got it from the factory I used to work at and have only used it one time. Not much need around here for it, bad decision on my part. I had trouble hauling it on my trailer as it was heavy as heck and wouldn't load real well, had to borrow equipment trailer to use it. Its a rider not a walker, 48&quot; main brushwith a side brush and dumpable.<p>Homer

southside
06-01-2000, 08:42 AM
I have used several sweepers and have found<br>Tennant to be the best.Especialy the 275 model. Advance also make excellent equipment.<br>Hako sucks. You can make good dollars from<br>one of these.They move at the speed of a thousand raped apes. :)<p>Karl<br>

Nilsson Associates
06-01-2000, 09:41 AM
Tennants are low to the ground, special trailer, or extra long extended ramps gets it up on standard two axle trailer, model 365 lifts, dumps into one ton truck. Built like a tank.<p>Southside ... we don't have any rats in the United States of America. What are rats? And do they really vomit? <p>A-1<br>

southside
06-02-2000, 05:49 AM
AR15,M16,M60 or who ever.<p>Rats? You on the wacky weed when Phils' out<br>of the office?<p>Karl<br>

Nilsson Associates
06-02-2000, 06:18 AM
Karl,<br>Coffee is good this am, laughing at your post, birds makin noise at just past sunrise, thoroughbreds running so early, no rats in the barn - DJIA is okay - enjoy your sense of humor - guess you don't trust me cuzz haven't received that hat you promised - few bucks out of pocket? Never mind, buy it on the internet, you're too tight with a buck anyway, wasn't askin for much. If it was the other way around, I'd send you a hat if you asked me. You probably don't want the other guys around here to know about it, is that the reason? Hell, I'll send you the money, or send it C.O.D. what's the big deal?<p>Phil Nilsson<br>

MOW ED
06-02-2000, 06:45 AM
Why are the times off on the posts?<br>I just rec'd an e-mail notification when Phil posted and his post reads 10:18am. Its 5:49am in Green bay and the birds are singing too. What time zone are you in Phil or is it a software &quot;issue&quot; . Just curious. <br>Oh ya - I want a hat too.

Nilsson Associates
06-02-2000, 07:40 AM
I'm in Connecticut and it's exactly 7:38 am<br>and I'll betcha southside doesn't send me that hat ... cheapskate ...after all the posts I made at this board? I get a &quot;no show&quot; from the guy. I even offered to send him the money, still quiet in Brisbane. If southside doesn't send the hat, I'm outta here. I let you know if I get it. It'll be his fault if don't see me posting again. All that good info from me for one crummy hat from Australia. Go figure. That guy from Jawja said he'd buy it, if southside was too cheap.<p>Phil Nilsson

Guido
06-02-2000, 01:50 PM
Don't send the hat and Nillson won't post here anymore?? Joking right?? Does that include A-1??<p>Hahaha<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

Nilsson Associates
06-02-2000, 02:22 PM
Guido,<br>The hat came by UPS around noon. It's black, has a real genuine snake skin band, just like the one Crocodile Dundee wore in the moview. Looks expensive bet it cost $100 American easy. So, I guess it's okay for me to keep posting unless folks tell me to get lost. Watch, next 50 posts will say ... get lost.<p>Phil Nilsson<br>

Guido
06-02-2000, 03:28 PM
Phil- GET LOST! (1-50) Just kidding man. Just cause I disagree with your opinion a lot, doesn't mean I'm a bad guy. We all have to act civil to get anything out of sites like this. (Plus your from CT so I have to cut you some slack.!!!<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

slingshot
06-02-2000, 08:47 PM
commercial lawn care forum ..... do these sweepers cut grass too. keep adding on the services i love these jack of all tradesmen .......here is anouther add on service for the profesional lawn maintenance co. mobile oil change station you can go to there homes and cut the grass,blow it off and then change the oil in there car and maybee just maybee if they ask nice you will wash there car for an extra 3bucks and if they say that price is high tell them about all that insurance you need for your lawn care weed wackin biz

bdemir
06-02-2000, 09:16 PM
Slingshot,<p>That funny as hell. I just about died when i read that. Good one.

MOW ED
06-03-2000, 07:08 AM
$commercial lawn care forum$ Jack of all tradsman huh - ok. Some of my potential customer base includes businesses that have parking lots that get dirty. Lawn doesn't grow here year round. When it doesn't, its nice to still be able to work.<br>Full service companies get contracts and I am looking to become better than others. I'm wondering how the successful professional works in this business.<br>Walker sells a power broom for the machine I have and I'm wondering if anyone does this with any success. <br>Hell slingshot, you got some good ideas for add ons. Mayby Walker will design a portable car wash/oil change attachment for the machine-it does everything else.<br>I'm not advocating taking on everything under the sun in service but I believe if there is a market and your willing and able to do some work &quot;professionally&quot;, then why not? <br>As far as this being a commercial lawn care forum goes - mayby I'm assuming that this forum is for issues related to &quot;Professional Grounds Management&quot;. Cutting grass is one important part but there are many facets to this business. If people just want to cut grass trim and go thats fine but others want to offer other services that are related to broader grounds management services. <p>Thank you all for the input, gotta go and bid 2 painting jobs and 2 roofing jobs - its all part of my grounds management company.<br>

Nilsson Associates
06-03-2000, 08:25 AM
Hey .. sell em whatever they're buying! Some of the most profitable (and busy) folks I know are Handyman Services. They do it all just about ... hourly. No risk .. no time management .. billings from portal to portal. Between $40.00 and $60.00 plus an hour depending on the skill level of the specific job. Works well for the one man outfit, with just a van and some hand tools. For the bigger jobs, like painting an entire house, plumbing, electrical, chimney, stuff like that, they refer over and get a small cut.<p>Phil Nilsson<br>