PDA

View Full Version : who's mowing in hawaii?

TClawn
08-02-2004, 07:13 PM
just wondering if there's anybody doing lawn care in hawaii. I know ther's someone from Kauai anyone else?

baka
11-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Hows it going?

I'm a small fry in Lahaina who works part time. I'm working on getting some more accounts. If you have any leads let me know. You can pm me or just reply.

You're in Kehei, yeah? I might know of an account over there. Its a residential. If you're interested, let me know.

Cheers

Baka!

TClawn
11-03-2004, 01:58 AM
hey baka, I tried to send you a pm and you've got them turned off. turn them back on so I can send it.

any way, I would be interested in that account were abouts in kihei is it?

Giant Menehune
07-31-2005, 05:31 AM
Hi There TC,
I've been doing yard services, mowing, weedeating,chainsawing, for some time. Mostly for my family, and for side cash. Anyway, I've accumulated some good equipment and decided I'd try to "get into the biz". Problem is, I need accounts. If there's any advice you have, or any contracts you know of, I'd be thankful if you could throw 'em my way. I'm on the Big Island, in the Puna/Hilo area. I realize this could be a long shot since this post is from back in 2004, but 'ya don't know if 'ya don't try eh? I'm a new guy, and I don't know how to use this site yet. I suspect there is much more info in here than I'm aware of and I'm learning. Thanks for being patient.
Giant Menehune

TClawn
07-31-2005, 06:55 PM
ok, the first thing to know, is that people usually don't like dealing with contracts for residential accounts. scares them off.

BUT, what you can do, is give them a notice telling them what your company policy is.

flyers work well for getting accounts, and is a fairly cheap way to get the word out.
if you go to gopher software, they have some nice flyer templates that you can use.

if you want to get commercial accounts, keep your eyes open, and if you see a property that is a bit neglected, go in and ask the manager if they would be interested in having a bid for lawncare. if he says no, no big deal.

I will be flamed for this, but you will probably have to "lowball" your first commercial account a bit to get in. after that, you can charge market prices for the commercial accounts, and you now have a referance.

btw, if you haven't already done so, I would recomand starting up an LLC.

RedWingsDet
07-31-2005, 09:04 PM
how many sq miles is hawaii?

Giant Menehune
08-01-2005, 02:32 AM
Hi There TC,
Thanks for the help. I appreciate the good advice, and I'll be sure to take it to heart. I don't think you should be "flamed" for saying I might have to "lowball" it some. I agree, that's the way things work and I'm not afraid to "play ball", sounds to me like you were being very real. I was brought up knowing that listening to those who have experience can save me years of grief. Thanks again, I appreciate it much. :)

genoaustin
08-01-2005, 08:35 AM
The Big Island is Hawaii's largest at 4,038 square miles. It is twice the size of all other Hawaiian Islands combined.

Total Area of all islands: 6,427 sq. mi

Honolulu is the largest city in the world -- at least it has the longest borders. According to the state constitution any island (or islet) not named as belonging to a county belongs to Honolulu. This makes all islands within the Hawaiian Archipelago, that stretch to Midway Island (1,500 miles northwest of Hawaii) part of Honolulu. Honolulu is about 1,500 miles long or more distance than halfway across the 48 contiguous states.

So, I guess if you only mow in Honolulu, you need a boat trailer for your mower?

Runner
08-03-2005, 11:34 AM
O.k., guys...I need a winter job. If there is anyone out there that can use over 20 experience, I am willing come out and work. I don't have any dependents, so I have the capacity to do this. I can run anything there is proficiently, and perform all the service on this equipment, as well (provided the right tools). Of course, I also have the management skills to run crews and delegate not only responsibility, but machine power for maximum efficiency of operation (every outfit is geared different, and every jobsite is different). Anyone interested, give me a shout. :)

Lawn Wolf
09-01-2005, 09:00 PM
I wish I was mowing in Hawaii. I was there last year in Honolulu, the beaches is fabulous and the water is spectacular. You guys are lucky to be living there. I know the cost of living there is high and I need to justify more then just a handful of lawns to pay my rent....hehe.. :)