PDA

View Full Version : I need Perma Green advice?

ArchiesLawns
08-02-2004, 09:45 PM
I bought a Perma Green (ultra) in late February and put it to use the first week of March. Within the first month the electric starter went out and had to crank by hand. No big deal! Then in April a shifter arm adjuster broke. Then in May the pump went out. Then in June the other shifter arm adjuster broke. Now on July 14th the clutch, battery and selonoide (sp) went out. I took this machine to Lesco on July 14th, after Talking to Pat at Perma Green. Lesco, finally found someone to fix it this past Saturday in less than hour. Picked up Saturday at noon. Went to do my first lawn this morning and the thing will not climb a slight incline. It is dragging when it starts to take off. So, I call Pat at PG, he says I got a bad clutch, he will overnight me one. For me to change. Okay, no problem. My question is, it is still under warranty (less than a year and less than 500 hours) I have 287 hours on it. They (PG) will not take it back! In 5 months everything has been replaced but the engine and it still runs like crap!!! What kind of advice can you guys give me as what to do? Or have any of you had these similar problems? How can you pay that kind of money and get something that won't last a month much less 5 months?

Any comments and or suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you,

Archie

B&B
08-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Call pat again & tell him he forgot to include a rope with your boat anchor. Seems to be alot of posts about PG's being troublesome.

James Cormier
08-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Boy, you certainly got a lemon there, I would call PG again and ask to speak with Tom, or better yet write him a nice long letter explaining to him everything that has gone on. Then follow it up with a phone call, I would hope he would stand behind it and relize they let one lemon out the door.

If they will not stand behind it I would write letters to every trade mags in the country, cut and paste what you wrote above, and put it in every post about PG's on all the lawnsites out there.

Once its out of warranty dont spend a dime on it, and buy a zspray.

ArchiesLawns
08-03-2004, 08:33 PM
I received the new clutch today. When I took it off there was a washer missing between the clutch and the oil pan(I had Pat on the phone as I was taking it off) the reason for the slow movement and not able to pull, was the clutch was rubbing against the oil pan! Great Lesco mechanic!!! Another 1/8 of an inch and there will be a hole in the oil pan! So, Pat tells me they are going to send me another motor! For me to replace. I am not going to do it. That would really ruin my warranty! So, I am taking it back to Lesco and let them deal with it.

I even asked Pat to put his self in my shoes and see if he would be happy and he said no! So,why don't you do something about it? He said I have to go thru Lesco. So, that is my next option.

James can you tell me Tom's last name so I can mail him a letter?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Archie

ArchiesLawns
08-04-2004, 12:06 AM
James did you ever get a zspray? If so, how do you like it? If not, do you know of anyone that has one? How do they like it? ANy other info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Archie

TSM
08-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by ArchiesLawns

James can you tell me Tom's last name so I can mail him a letter?

you can get that info from their website

www.ride-onspreader.com

good luck

turfsurfer
08-04-2004, 10:28 PM
Archie, I also bought a PG Ultra this year, going against the grain of many posts on this site and others. I figured I should at least give it a try since it was $2000 cheaper than my other alternative and due to their buyback warranty. When I began to have problems with it almost right away I didn't hesitate to return the unit and buy a Z-spray instead. I can tell you that although the PG is $2000 less expensive than the Z-spray it is way more than $2000 cheaper in quality. I have not had any issues with the Z-spray and it solves some of the annoying problems of the PG such as waiting forever for the spray pump to re-prime after spraying the tank dry, and barely chugging up even slight hills. Plus it has a REAL engine and gas tank. I'm sorry to hear about your problems with PG. At this point I would pressure them to stand behind their product. SEAN, I agree with James, they are a sponsor here and if you want people to think you have quality sponsors on this site you should try to ensure they stand behind their products. If it is true that the majority of Perma Green units are well built and trouble free then they should attempt to maintain their reputation and help those that get the occasional lemon.

LwnmwrMan22
08-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Hmmm.... still haven't had problems with my PG. Maybe the guys with PGs that work are too busy working and not sitting around waiting for them to be fixed and posting on here?? :D

ArchiesLawns
08-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Thanks Turfsurfer

I agree that they should stand behind there product. Not replace every part as it breaks! The only moveable part left that has not broke, are the wheels. I will NEVER recommend there product to anyone.

Sean, I may not post alot on Lawn Site, but I read it everyday! How can you (or we) on this site have a sponsor that does stand behind there product? Pat at Perma Green even said today that after I replace the engine on Thursday, that the machine should be like new! How can they run a business that way with those type answers?

I hope Ford doesn't ask me to start replacing parts on my F150!

Thanks for everyone's support!

Archie

James Cormier
08-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Tom is the owner of the company, Jesson I think is his last name.

I haven't bought my zspray yet, I still run 2 PG's ( centri & ultra ) I had lots of problems with both machines, lately Ive been having some problems with my ultra and Ive been getting good help from Pat. That wasn't the case in the past, maybe my negative posts in here helped some what, i don't know.

Arc, My advise to you is to let Tom respond to a letter, if its not to your liking I think your only response would be to move on. Either sell the rebuilt machine, and go with another set up or hope that the rebuilt ultra is fixed and run it as long as possible.

What would I do.....drive the ultra into a swamp, and go get a zspray, and chalk it up to " they got me ". I would make copies of everything that happened and their response and I would send copies to every trade mag, and post it all over the www.

jajwrigh
08-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Where can you buy z-sprays and what do they run?

ANDY-W
08-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Call them at 765-482-2040. If you are in Indianapolis, they are located just north of you in Lebanon. I operate a couple of branches around Anderson and Munice and one down south.

ArchiesLawns
08-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Well, I got the new engine from Perma Green last friday and put it on. After looking at the old engine, come to find out Lesco's mechanic had installed the clutch up side down! So that is why it was dragging and eating a hole into the oil pan on the engine! Started back using that afternoon and everything was fine. Then today the throttle cable broke! So, now it has to be replaced. I just stand back and look at the machine and just try to figure out what in the hell could brake next! This has been a freustrating 5 months with this machine.

It is a good thing I don't hunt! I would have shot it by now!!

Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations!

Archie

TSM
08-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Archie, if anybody in here knows me, they know my dislike for lesco. Your situation just feeds my dislike!!

Had any problems with the wheel bearings yet??

I'd buy parts direct from Perma Green. FYI there are two trottle cables, one fits ultra model one fits older centri model. The only difference is the width of the doo-hicky thingy that slips into the trottle (yeah, I'm not real mechanical inclined)

I know this because lesco sold me a throttle cable (i needed it for the centri) darn thing didnt fit, so I call lesco and asked what was up with that, they said 'oh we sold you the wrong one...no problem just drill the bore the hole open wider'

A ten minute throttle replacement took a better part of the day!!

MrBarefoot
08-11-2004, 11:24 PM
Perma Greens sure get beat up a lot. To bad most of it is deserved. I have plenty of complaints about mine.

Maybe we should start up a website, and have the slogan "It Mustn't be a Perma Green".

ArchiesLawns
08-12-2004, 12:02 AM
If any of you have read all of my previous post, you would see what I have been through. Honestly, I have replaced all of this within the last 5 months. I received the machine the last week of February and started using the first week in March.
Items replaced:
*Both shifter arm adjusters
*Spray pump
*Motor
*Clutch
*Battery
*Starter

What is left I don't know!

Archie

grassguy_
08-12-2004, 12:31 AM
Archie,
Sorry to hear about the problems you've had with the PG, I've a number of them and from time to time have problems but have been able, for the most part, fixed them myself. I still feel the Centri is better than the Ultra for being able to work on and the hopper set up. IMHO, I'm not sure most of the Lesco service centers have the expertise to handle the PG machines. I will say PG has always been good at handling any problems with their equipment with me and feel they would stand behind handling this problem for you.