PDA

View Full Version : spring clip on Lesco spreader

trying 2b organic
08-03-2004, 06:52 PM
This is a spring clip and is apparently part of my shut off assembly on my Lesco commercial spreader. It went wonky on day one, got bent, started making noise, so I cut it off. Other than I now dont have an annoying noise from a broken flimsy piece I dont see any operational difference. Can you tell me what this does and if I need to get another one?? ty very much.

greenerpastures
08-03-2004, 09:45 PM
Spring clip is used to hold on the "z" agitator assembly. May be used somewhere else also, but I recently had to replace mine. Your agitator is probably wedged tight enough that you don't notice it missing.

trimmasters
08-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Yep thats it, after awhile they get rusted on with the fert dust so you dont really notice it gone. also if you need to replace the z agatator you might as well pull the rod out and drill it and put a pin thru to hold on the agatator. those spring clips are infreakingposable to get on.

turf hokie
08-03-2004, 10:23 PM
Trick I learned to get them on....take a long socket (can't remember the size) maybe a 10 mil and that will fit right over the clip and the post on the Z clip. Now get a hammer and hit hard twice.. usually works pretty well. (Just don't use a brand new socket.)

trying 2b organic
08-04-2004, 03:24 PM
ok guys my bad, i tried to take a pic of where this part came from but the camera focused on a tree 50 feet beyond. I see the clip you guys are talking about when I look down into my hopper from above. This little fella came from below, above the propeller. When it broke it wore out the nylon that meets the rectangle of metal that makes the z agitator move around. In the parts list it is listed as being part of the shut off mech. Looking at it it is indeed holding a spring. Same question though, what is it and can I live without it since I see no change.

trying 2b organic
08-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Ok, It holds the shut off spring, seems like thats a pretty good spring, I doubt its going to come loose and slip down. I wonder what I could jerry rig to hold it in place, maybe a small plumbing clamp. If i was to order 3 parts to keep in stock for busy season for my spreader what would it be? ty again.

TSM
08-04-2004, 07:45 PM
well, i actually looked at several lesco spreaders that we operate. [At first I thought the same as others, that you were speaking of the clip that is inside the hopper.]
none of our spreaders have this clip on the spring...which makes me wonder if the Canadian version is different than the USA's...or if the spreader was assembled incorrectly???

Anyway, good idea to have a few of those clips (for inside the hopper) on hand...a couple of cotter pins for the wheels...and a couple of the 'roll' pins for the propeller assembly.