PDA

View Full Version : Pruning - Check Out Silky Store

Sean Adams
08-05-2004, 09:52 AM
The Silky Store www.SilkyStore.com is the only full-line retailer that provides premium quality Silky hand saws for numerous applications including tree care, landscaping, nursery, tree grower and home gardener.

Silky saws are made in Japan by UM:Kogyo Inc., a company which has specialized in the manufacturing of saws since 1919. Unique Silky technology and design have resulted in an extensive range of finest hand saws with superb cutting ability. No other saws equal the unsurpassed cutting performance of Silky. Silky saws should not be confused with low priced products sold for occasional and general purpose use. They are premium quality tools for the professional user, serious gardener and tree grower. Silky are the best pruning saws available in North America today and The Saws of Choice by Professionals.

The Silky Store stocks complete product lines of straight, curved, folding and pole Silky saws for each and every application, including Arborist Saws, Forestry Saws, Pruning & Trimming Saws, Fruit Tree Pruning Saws, Vineyard Pruning Saws, Apple Tree Pruning Saws, Lawn & Garden Saws, Florist & Nursery Saws, Root Cutting Saws, Bamboo Cutting Saws, Woodworking Saws, Carpentry Saws, Cabinet Maker Saws, DIY & Hobbyist Saws, Outdoor & Hunting Saws, Rescue & Military Saws and Food Preparation Saws.

Please visit www.SilkyStore.com for more product information and convenient online ordering! We are very excited to participate and sponsor LawnSite.com, and become a part of this extraordinary community. We look forward to contributing to its growth and ongoing success.

mdvaden
01-13-2005, 12:52 AM
How is Silky better than an ARS regarding:

a. durability and life?

b. number of re-sharpenings?

c. weight?

D Felix
01-13-2005, 08:03 PM
a. Don't know if there is any specific data, but anecdotally, Silky lasts longer. Just anyone on Arboristsite.

b. Don't think you can re-sharpen the Silky, but it should last longer.

c. Probably the same or close to it.

All in all, the Silky is a better saw. Order the Super Accel, it's ~$26, IIRC, from Sherrills. It's a good saw, and if you don't like it, you won't be out a lot of money.:) My bet is that you will like it!

Dan

mdvaden
01-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Thanks.

Yes, $26 isn't too much. As long as it has the appendage behind the pinky finger to keep a hand from sliding off the handle, that will be good. Without the appendage, a person has to squeeze harder to keep a grip and that can get tiring.

I still have two fairly new handsaws, but I'll try one out around April when I'll be due for a new handsaw.

D Felix
01-14-2005, 07:02 AM
The Super Accel that I have is a little over a year old, and I've not had a problem with it. The handle is curved enough, plus it has a rubber coating, to keep your hand from sliding off.

I also have a Tetu folder that I got from the Silky Store, it has a finer toothed blade. Believe it or not, comparing the Tetu to the Accel, the finer toothed Tetu cuts a little bit faster than the coarsed toothed Accel.... At least in live wood. I'm sure dead wood is a different story.

Good luck with it. Let us know how you like them.:)

Dan