PDA

View Full Version : Organic Fertilizer

Keegan
08-05-2004, 12:41 PM
I'm looking to get into the organic fertilizer business. Just looking to see what products and manufacturers everyone uses.

Thanks!

Randy J
08-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Here's a website on a natural organic fertillizer supplier: http://www.naturesafe.com/

Catmann
08-05-2004, 04:18 PM
FYI, Naturesafe is priced for the high-end golf market. It is WAY to expensive for what it is, but they built a name and that is part of what makes the world go-round! Quality product though!

TurfProSTL
08-18-2004, 09:28 AM
For better pricing on organic-based fertilizers, try www.nutrientsplus.com

Better suited for the lawn care market, IMO.....

TheGrassGuy
08-22-2004, 06:59 AM
Are there any Canadian companies out there for organic fertilizers?

jerryorganicalfalfa
08-25-2004, 11:42 PM
hello! this is jerry and i happen to have tons of organic alfalfa pellets(literally) i'm interested in finding someone to distribute my product on a friendly long term basis. all certifications for organic rating available, processed in organic certified equipment. i'm a problem solver who would be willing to work with you. any size packaging available. i'm at jns@inebraska.com if you would like to talk email or (402)786-3973 for me in person. thanks and good luck with your store.

dishboy
08-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by jerryorganicalfalfa
hello! this is jerry and i happen to have tons of organic alfalfa pellets(literally) i'm interested in finding someone to distribute my product on a friendly long term basis. all certifications for organic rating available, processed in organic certified equipment. i'm a problem solver who would be willing to work with you. any size packaging available. i'm at jns@inebraska.com if you would like to talk email or (402)786-3973 for me in person. thanks and good luck with your store.

Hi Jerry,

Is your product weed free and do you have small pellets that would easily go through a Earthway or other commercial grade fertilizer spreader. I am not sure I care about the organic certification, but I do not know what is commonly sprayed on Alfalfa?

When you say distribute your product am I assuming this would involve warehousing? Please feel free to P.M me.

Tom

leadarrows
08-26-2004, 12:30 PM
dishboy
I solved that spreader problem by using Alfalfa meal. You have to shake the spreader to wards the end but at least it fits through the holes. I have two yards that I have been using a mixture of equal parts : Soy meal-Alfalfa meal-Corn meal-Gypsum- on all summer applied about every four weeks. (the time intervals change because nether customer waters there yard so I try to make my applications just before it rains when I can) It has taken some experimenting with the rates but 25 pounds per 1000sq. ft. seems to be working well. I leave the gypsum out of the equation when figuring my pounds of organics per application, then just add the gypsum in later. The gypsum helps the spreader feed the mixture. All I know about this is what I have read here so it's all just a learning experience for me so far. I will say this all I have done is raise the height of the cut and added this mix and these two yards are as green as there neighbors that use synthetics and water. The neighbors do cut there grass too short so I have an advantage from the get-go on that though.

woodycrest
08-26-2004, 12:47 PM
leadarrows..

that sounds like a great mix!

i find soybean meal is great for greening up the grass, and if watered in it starts to 'work' within a week or two.

dishboy
08-26-2004, 11:47 PM
leadarrows,
I have been using straight Alfafa my last round, these are irrigated yards, mulched at 2.75 inch. I modified a spreader to pass the pellet. I get some color in one week, growth in two and good growth three weeks . Nice dark color, thick blades. I like the results much better than milorganite. Rate is 15 pounds a 1000. I would hate to go any heavier as my growth is about to force me to take off the mulch kit.

leadarrows
08-27-2004, 07:48 AM
dishboy
Ya your defiantly dealing with a different set of circumstances than I am. One of my property's is on the bank of a pond and it has terrible soil. 3 inch's of clay on top of sand. I think the heaver applications in my case are necessary. I mow it at 3.5 inches.
Sounds like your doing it right for your yards. The proof is in the results. :)

kthhayes
08-29-2004, 11:51 PM
I love a product called Greens Keeper from lebanon products, and I use it as a two step product.

leadarrows
08-30-2004, 11:22 PM
I took some pictures to day. The small one was taken in July. The large one was taken today. I wish I had thought to take a picture of the property line of the neighbor to the left. She uses Scotts turf builder and waters. The only place her yard is greener than my clients is the first foot of her yard next to my clients. ( I think the wind blows some of my stuff that far. ) LOL

Hamons
08-30-2004, 11:33 PM
I jsut received aabout 7000 pounds of Naturesafe. Great product -- decent pricing. The superior organic that i have found -- and man i have look alot!