PDA

View Full Version : Rain sensor stats?

BSME
08-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Due to the fact that it has rained all summer I figure it's time to put out a flyer for rain sensors... I want to put something about how they'll make their money back in one season... .I'm wondering if this is true... I realize it all depends on how many GPMs, how long they run their zones, and how often... but I was wondering if anyone had any stats or averages on this kind of stuff....
-Any of you southeast MI guys know how much water costs?
-I use the Hunter wireless sensor

Thanks

Instant Rain
08-05-2004, 07:28 PM
How many days does it rain durring the time of year the system will be running? Ok say the average system has eight stations. and they all are about 15gpm. Six are turf on popups, and they run two nights a week for 3 cycles of five minutes. The other two are beds on popups, they are drought tolerent plants with deep root zones. They run ten minutes one night a week. Total runtime per week 200 minutes. 3000 gallons per week. If the city charges at $4 per 1000 gallons that could be $48 dollars per month. Then take the number of days the system may be off due to rainfall. If it were off for eight days due to rainfall they may save close to $50 that year. You could sweeten the deal by adding a freeze sensor. These are imaginary numbers just to give you an idea. The new wireless models come in rain/freeze combos for about $60 pluse time to install. It could take three years for an owner of a small system to see any benifit, unless it rains alot.

firedude26
08-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Well in my little town we have the water sewer rates combined, i have figured it cost me about 1 cent per gallon. when you figure that out it does add up. we use close to 60000 gallons a quarter. You would have to figure how much water is being used per zone per run. i can bet you will definatly save enough using a sensor than not.