PDA

View Full Version : zoysia in shade?

greenerpastures
08-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Against my advice, a neighbor installed several pallets of zoysia under heavy oak shade. Receives at most two hours of sun. He claims the HomeDepot Landscape Center salesperson sold him that it would work. Solid sodded, but I don't give it much hope long-term.

I do know that the shade is heavy enough that St. Augustine would have a tough time in its location---no way bermuda. I have little experience with zoysia, so will I be able to say "I told ya so"?

PowerPlay
08-05-2004, 06:56 PM
Even the most shade tolerant zoysias need close to 4hrs. I sodded a property with Zenith this spring which had about 500 ft2 of shaded area. I told the customer it would likely thin out in those spots. It has thinned out some, but actually looks better than I thought it would. Over time though, I still have my doubts. I would say it gets less than three hrs/day. So for your sitaution, I would agree. Less than 2 hrs is going to be real struggle. It certainly won't be a thick stand of turf.

longslawn
08-05-2004, 07:27 PM
If the St. Augustine won't grow, then no other warm season grass will do any better. St.Augustine grass is the most shade tolerant of warm season grasses out there.

quiet
08-05-2004, 10:58 PM
FWIW . . . I have a customer that installed zoysia in his lawn this spring; one side of the house is very shady, north side of house, lotsa big trees, while the other side of the house is full sun all day. The shady side has thrived, while the sunny side has struggled somewhat lately in the baking summer sun and heat.

SWD
08-06-2004, 07:43 AM
If your customer had seeded Zoysia, there wold be problems of establishment.
As far as sod, Zoysia in the shade, in Texas with the high degree of soil temps, will out perform the same species in a comparable sized full sun, unshaded area.
I completely disagree with the global statement from longslawn that St Augustine is the best C4 turfgrass for the shade. The cultural enviroment I operate in, St Augustine does not have the same degree of high temperature resistence that Zoysia displays.

longslawn
08-06-2004, 02:41 PM
I stand by the statement that St. Augustine grass is more shade tolerant than Zoysia. Wheather it's suited for Dallas I don't know.

Getting any grass to grow with 2 hrs sunlight is next to impossible. I don't care what grass you use.............

McCallum & Sons
07-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Empire Zoysia is the best warm season grass for moderately shady areas. Even more so than St. Augustine. It is also more drought tolerant and naturally resistant to herbicides that other zoysias are sensitive to. I have successfully sodded shady areas with this variety in North Carolina. It can outperform other warm season grasses in full sun if cared for properly.