PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Help

PLM-1
08-05-2004, 08:05 PM
I have a car trailer that i use to mow with every once in a while when i bag grass. I hate using it because I don't want to tear it up. I usually use my 5x10. I am thinking about getting a bigger one but i am having trouble finding trailer dealers. any ideas in SW MO???

Thanks guys!

Rick Jones
08-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Check your local Yellow Pages.

gardengnome
08-05-2004, 09:02 PM
trailer manufacturer sites i've seen have a locator feature to point you to the closest dealer.

ed2hess
08-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Home Depot now handles small trailers...open and closed style.

PLM-1
08-05-2004, 10:11 PM
as stupid as it sounds it is actually hard to find trailers around here..new or used! we have 2 dealers here and they are all really expensive for no reason. 7 x 16 open..no brakes, ramp, or even a tongue jack...for $3100? come on!

Littleriver1
08-05-2004, 10:26 PM
If they are that much then it would pay you to find a dealer 1000mi or ever 2000 mi away and go get it. Around here a 14 X 6.5 is $999. Go to Texas most trailers are made there anyway.

rdran5
08-05-2004, 10:31 PM
http://www.bigtextrailers.com/,
best on the market, just bought a 2003 18X7

drsogr
08-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Drive down to Texas, you won't have any trouble finding a trailer. I have never been to Tulsa, but I bet they are abundant down there as well.

EastProLawn
08-05-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by ed2hess
Home Depot now handles small trailers...open and closed style. I agree, Home Depot here in R.I. actually has some pretty decent open trailers and at a good price.

launboy
08-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Tennessee and Kentucky have a crap load of trailor dealers. Seriously my buddy moved down to Tn. and i went down to help him move and they were everywhere all kinds of people makin them and sellin them. I bought my first trailor down there and saved a lot of cash. around here there are not many dealers at least cheap dealers. only cost 2 tank fulls petro there and back and that was it.

SouthernFried
08-05-2004, 11:31 PM
The trailers I have seen at Home Depot seem reeeaal cheeply made to me.

Of course, I live in Texas :)

I had mine custome made. It has weedeater racks, and a cage for blowers. But, the most important thing I did, was make it 5x12, not 5x10...that extra 2 feet allows me to put 2 walk behinds back to back, with no overhang. Did a lotta little extras I've always wanted through the years, like corrugated steel plates welded over the wheel wells to give me working area, upgraded expanded metal that wont break down as easily as the thinner stuff, shelves behind the cage for gas cans and misc stuff. Tubing for shovels and rakes, 3' solid sides, an extra metal beam on the gate to support the expanded metal ramp...lotsa little things.

I have the perfect trailer (for me anyway)...custom made.

$1200.

WoodBrothersLC
08-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Go to Truck Trailer & Hitch in Kansas City, heard they have a good selection and great prices. Probalby getting a 6x14' tandem axle early next year most likely from them.

DaveVB
08-06-2004, 12:19 AM
Come on up to KC. I bought a 6x16, with ramp, two axle, jack for 1,400.00. Best built trailer I could find. Everyone who pulls it says they forget it is back there. I pulled my 1/2 ton supercab on it and am thouroughly pleased.
Trailer and Hitch in southern Grandview Mo. Right at the intersection of highways 71 and 150. NOT Truck Trailer and Hitch up north in Grandview, higher priced up there.

Royalslover
08-06-2004, 12:42 AM
Joplin, try some dealers in Sikeston. I've bought my last two trailers there. I've bought from Kirk's Trailers and Built Rite.

PLM-1
08-06-2004, 02:18 AM
sounds good you all!...KC isn't too far...

this sounds stupid but i mow in Joplin and live in Lawrence Ks (where i go to school)...i started in Joplin 5 years ago and i guess it is an excuse to see my parents 4 days a week! some one has to mow my 21 yards might as well be me!

clc2003
08-06-2004, 03:46 AM
I bought a trailer in Bourbon MO. Place is called Taylor made trailers. Dont buy from them! They built me a custom 6x12 with trimmer racks, gas can racks, a tool box and a side gate. 2 hours after I picked it up, 3 of the gate pins broke. I almost lost the gate going down the Hwy at 70! The pins they supplied where complete junk. An hour after that the spare tire carrier broke where it was welded to the top rail. So I called them back and reamed there a**. They told me to return the trailer. I told them that I would not drive another 3 hrs. to have them look at the trailer. It was already 9pm. So they said to email some pics and they would deal with it. So I did just that and they did not return my email or my phone calls. Oh by the way, I also told them to make the gas can racks a certain size so I could use a certain gas can. The rack was too small. Should of taken a can with me but I never thought about it. So anyhow, I took my trailer to a machine shop and had everything fixed so I could use the trailer and sent them the bill for reimburstment. They finally responded back to me saying that since they did not fix it themselves, they would not repay me and that I also VOIDED the warranty. They also went on to say that if I continued to HARASS them they would seek legal action. So I contacted an attorney in St. Louis about the situation and they said that I had a good case but attorney fees would equal or exceed purchase price so it really wouldn't do me any good to continue the matter, just bite my tongue and go on. WHAT A CROCK! But thats what I did. Now that I fixed there f*** ups it seems to be a pretty good trailer. Just can't believe that they would treat there customers that way. Sorry for the book.

yrdandgardenhandyman
08-06-2004, 06:30 AM
I'm sick of these jerks and their shoddy workmanship. We take pride in our work and we should expect our suppliers to do the same. Maybe we should take some kind of collection and go after these scum just to make a point.

Ray & Karen
08-06-2004, 06:35 AM
Have you searched Ebay?

Hometown
08-06-2004, 07:10 AM
Go to Sikeston. If you can't find what you need there you don't want a trailer. There are more than 5 or 6 outfits there that make trailers and can do any custom job you might need. I bought mine at trailer express 2 yrs ago and have been pretty satisfied with it so far. Most smaller trailer dealers in the midwest buy from people in that town and resell them at their locations.

MMLawn
08-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Too bad you aren't NC. Kaufman Trailers (a HUGE trailer maker here) all trailers are completely engineer&computer designed right down to the weld spots, a 7'X14 out the door with Jack and Hidden Spring Assist 4' Ramp Gate and heavy duty hitch and 15" tires and rims is only $840.00 out the door even including 30 Day Temp tags. Pulls and works GREAT!

petekief
08-06-2004, 12:26 PM
MMlawn,
We are in MD and that sounds worth the trip to NC. Any Pics, any help with an address, and or website would be greatly appreciated.

mowin at the lake
08-07-2004, 11:59 PM
In Springfield try Evans trailer. They are out on hwy 65. I think they are close to rodgersville.. kane

txlawnking
08-08-2004, 12:17 AM
$3100 for a trailer like you described???!!!!! I'm in the wrong biz!! Down here one of those goes for about $675.. with all of the goodies for landscaping/ lawn equip, they are about $1200!!! Dude, I'd say a road trip is in order... Go to Trader online... LOTS of trailer places on there....God bless you, and I hope you find one soon.....

TADANIELS
08-13-2004, 06:43 PM
I have a 6x12 with side gate and back gate that I bought at Wildcat rentals in Ozark, missouri for $640 brand new. I don't know where you were looking at but southwest Missouri has got to be one of the cheapest places to buy a trailer. You can get a 7x14 tandem trailer for $850 around here.

Hamons
08-15-2004, 12:08 AM
I just ordered a great trailer from a place called custom made trailers in Greenwood, MO. A great place to do business.
www.custommadetrailers.com

The trailer I ordered is being very specvially ordered. It is a combination opena nd enclosed trailer.

**** 18' flatbed trailer made completely with 5" channel (no angle iron)

***** Tandem 7k aaxles with brakes and nreakaway kit.
***** Front 6' will have an enclosed shell and rear 12' will be open.

***** Enclosed area will have 5' door with spring assist rampgate

***** 3' removeable mesh sides on open of trailer.

***** 4' heavy duty rear gate.

FrankenScagMachines
08-17-2004, 11:52 AM
My uncle knows of a trailer place on east side of Missouri that is dirt cheap. I'll try to get the phone number for you. If you don't hear back from me in a few days, send me a PM and remind me.

Premo Services
08-17-2004, 08:26 PM
This spring, I went down to Siekston Mo. There were a lot of trailer dealers there.

Royalslover
08-18-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Hamons
I just ordered a great trailer from a place called custom made trailers in Greenwood, MO. A great place to do business.
www.custommadetrailers.com

The trailer I ordered is being very specvially ordered. It is a combination opena nd enclosed trailer.

**** 18' flatbed trailer made completely with 5" channel (no angle iron)

***** Tandem 7k aaxles with brakes and nreakaway kit.
***** Front 6' will have an enclosed shell and rear 12' will be open.

***** Enclosed area will have 5' door with spring assist rampgate

***** 3' removeable mesh sides on open of trailer.

***** 4' heavy duty rear gate.

How much is this trailer costing you?

turftammer
08-29-2004, 04:53 PM
hometown is right on the money almost every dealer in the midwest gets their trailers in sikeston,mo. and they mark them way up my local dealer asked $1100 for a 16' with ramp gate that came from sikeston so I took a one hour drive and saved $400

Hamons
08-30-2004, 12:35 AM
royals lover -- that trailer is costing me about $4400.00

Royalslover
08-30-2004, 11:56 PM
That sounds pretty fair. I checked the website and they do have some good prices. Let us know the quality once you get it.

Hamons
08-31-2004, 12:14 AM
We'll see- 2 weeks and counting.