PDA

View Full Version : Growth ******ers..

txlawnking
08-05-2004, 08:40 PM
I heard someone here on LS talk about "Growth ******ers", they mentioned a product called Embark, and another one that I can't remember.. What's the skinny on these product's.. How much do they cost, where can you get them, do you need a license to BUY them?? Any help would be apprecieated..Thanks

CSRA Landscaping
08-05-2004, 09:07 PM
I hate to sound like a smart aleck but the search feature will do wonders for answering your question. And you probably want to enter 'growth regulator' in the search.

KenH
08-06-2004, 06:55 AM
It was probably Primo. Primo is pretty costly, but works well. You do need a liscense....I purchase mine from Lesco.

Green Dreams
08-06-2004, 04:29 PM
I doubt they are labeled for St Aug, TxKing

Ric
08-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Green Dreams
I doubt they are labeled for St Aug, TxKing

Both Embark and Primo are labeled for St Augustine and work very well at the low rate.

Green Dream

You need to read the label. Oh and understand it before engaging you key board. Guessing is not really the best way to answer others questions.

Now the Label is that information sheet attached to the package of a product. The manufacture put it there so the end user will understand and use their product in a safe and productive way. Many Pesticide labels as well as the Material Safety Data Sheet can be found on line. Below are two website I use to look up, read, and understand pesticides labels and Material Safety Data Sheets. I suggest you add these to your favorites and USE them before applying Pesticides or engaging your key board.

www.bluebooktor.com

www.cdms.net

txlawnking
08-06-2004, 11:27 PM
Ric, do they work like I'm imaging? Say, spray them along a fence line and the grass won't die, but it will just slow down considerably?? Is my understanding correct? BTW, I did do a search, I'm just mainly concerned about reducing trim time, and thanks for the advice. In TX the law may make these products fall into a fuzzy area, as you do need a liscence to spray an out right pesticide/herbicide, but I don't believe these products KILL grass correct? Again, thanks...

Ric
08-07-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by txlawnking
Ric, do they work like I'm imaging? Say, spray them along a fence line and the grass won't die, but it will just slow down considerably?? Is my understanding correct? BTW, I did do a search, I'm just mainly concerned about reducing trim time, and thanks for the advice. In TX the law may make these products fall into a fuzzy area, as you do need a liscence to spray an out right pesticide/herbicide, but I don't believe these products KILL grass correct? Again, thanks...

Tx lawn

Yes they slow down top growth. However they do redirect growth to cause a thicker or fill in bare spots. Primo @ 0.1 oz per thousand is very cost effective on St Augustine.

Draw backs are. can cause yellowing of even death if applied at higher rate or overlapped. Be careful that you apply it evenly.

Embark can also be used on shrubs. OF COURSE always read and know the label before applying any pesticide.

txlawnking
08-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks again Ric, I checked the stuff out at Lesco..

Green Dreams
08-08-2004, 01:55 PM
I wrote " I doubt" not "they're not" ....

I haven't heard of anyone using it on St Augustine, Ric. If it was used I'd assume I would have gotten wind of it by now. I don't live and die by my replies on message boards, so if I am off a little, my pride doesn't suffer. And it doesn't suffer when those that try to be the resident genius point out when I am wrong. If I ever use Primo or anything else new to me, you can rest assured I'll try to decipher the label. If I can't I'll post up for your guidance and wisdom.

Jethro Bodine
Lonn Speshilest

LwnmwrMan22
08-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Sheesh...

Anyways, TxLawn, I ran Primo at a rate of 1 oz / 1000 on KY Bluegrass up here in MN, along fence lines to reduce my trimming time on a School District that I mow.

I ran it out of my PG Ultra, out of 1 nozzle. Where it was overlapped it worked, there's some areas that haven't been trimmed now for 8 weeks. Some areas it didn't seem to work at all, and some areas we had to trim after 4 weeks.

I mostly contribute this to using the PG Ultra, as the low volume of carrier I do believe led to the inconsistent coverage of the grass, therefore getting "some needed trimming, some didn't".

If you do a search for Primo Maxx, or look up my postings, I have pictures as well from before.

txlawnking
08-09-2004, 12:01 AM
Thanks to all of the replies, Tom, out @ Lesco in Katy, educated me well on this subject...I'd never been to a Lesco before, but these guys seem to really know the chems..After hearing about all of the almost magical capabilities of Chem's... I am definatly, going to get an applicators liscense now..Fellow Texans, I know where to get my liscence ( Ag extension office ) But where can you go to educate yourself on all things chem?? Also, how much does it cost to get the liscence?? Again thanks, as I am clueless about the spraying end of the industry... It looks like it could be very proffitable..

wrestlingcoach
08-09-2004, 01:31 AM
chemical mowing - round up
8 to 16 ounces per acre depends on type of grass

DFWProLawn
08-09-2004, 07:05 AM
TX... Contact this number, tell them you want the study materials for commercial pesticide applicators licence with a subcategory of "ornamental plant and turf"...(979)845-1099. It is the Extension Agricultural and Environmental Safety Program at Texas A&M. The cost is $60(which includes shipping), if I remember right.
When you are all studied up, contact the local extention office for test dates. I think it is like every Monday or something like that. Each test is $24. The licence itsself is $180 per year and you have to have continuing education every year to maintain the licence...The Texas Pesticide Regulations contain recertification requirements for maintaining applicator skills and competency for safety and proper pesticide use through continuing education. Commercial, noncommercial and NCPS applicators must earn a minimum of 5 credits per year, including a minimum of 1 CEU each in a choice of two of the following categories: laws and regulations, integrated pest management (IPM), or drift minimization.
Also, State law requires commercial applicators licensed by TDA to maintain a minimum coverage of $100,000 per occurrence for bodily injury and $100,000 per occurrence for property damage or general aggregate of $200,000.
Hop this helps...good luck

txlawnking
08-09-2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks pro lawn.. will do.

Green Dreams
08-09-2004, 03:58 PM
I am not sure what regs are for the AG Dept. I know you have to have a year of verifiable training to take the test for Structural...

I deal with Tom out here, too. I wish I would have known you were running out here...

txlawnking
08-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Green, I don't operate any where near Katy acctually. I'm down in southern Brazoria county. However, my mum lives off of Fry, this past weekend, while letting the kiddies visit granny, I did some research and found out about the Lesco... Spent probly three hrs talking to Tom, they were real slow, so he took some time to educate me on a few things I wanted to know... I'm still waiting to see if any one else is interested in a BBQ/ fishin'....pm me