PDA

View Full Version : Teflon tape ok??

CRUZMISL
08-06-2004, 12:09 AM
I used teflon tape between the 90 degree barb and the threads of the body. I know this probably isn't necessary but is it OK to do? Can I really just thread them in without it? It seems like a good place for a leak. Also, how far should the barb be pushed into the funny pipe? I just made sure there were no ridges on the barb visible.
Thanks,
Joe

gusbuster
08-06-2004, 01:08 AM
On most professional irrigation rotors, impacts and sprays you will see the"use no pipe dope". Down to the point, it's a waste of time to do teflon at this point.

As to barb connections, you should go all the way in but at least past all ridges.

DGI
08-06-2004, 08:52 PM
It's fine to do it without, and fine to do it with it. I've had a few people over the years request it, and I always teflon thread fittings close to the discharge on the valve.

The funny pipe barbs should go all the way in. Most should screw on after a certain point. You can get away with clamping on the barbs without having poly all the way in, and because of your low water pressure, you can probably get away with it anyway. It's a good idea to get it all the way on.