PDA

View Full Version : pics of my Snapper Z & some of it's work...

Up North
08-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Well finally got some pics of my Snapper Z. It's about 2 months old now, love it. I didn't get any pics when it was new, but snapped a couple when I cleaned it up a couple weeks ago.

52"cut, 21hp Kaw. with canister filter.

Buck

Up North
08-06-2004, 11:52 AM
another view..........

Up North
08-06-2004, 11:55 AM
one happy boy!! (one happy dad!!)payup

Up North
08-06-2004, 11:58 AM
some pics didn't turn out that great, used a disposable camera & scanner.

Up North
08-06-2004, 11:59 AM
hope these aren't boring you all to death...I'm a first year guy doing this part time till next season.

Up North
08-06-2004, 12:00 PM
same apartment complex, backyard.

Up North
08-06-2004, 12:06 PM
a bank I do. They have some irrigation issues, the company that installed it is notoriously slow for warranty work. Plus we have been experiencing very dry conditions for over a month now.

On this pic, in the far back where the slope is, it goes down to a big drainage pond, the first time I did this property I put my Z right up on top of the rocks that sit in the drainage area...slippery when wet.:o :o

Up North
08-06-2004, 12:07 PM
a nicer view of the bank.

Up North
08-06-2004, 12:10 PM
the sun messed this one up, but it's a resort I do. The slope drops off pretty steep down closer to the lake as you'll see.

Up North
08-06-2004, 12:12 PM
nice view of the lake...just don't want to test the water!:D

Up North
08-06-2004, 12:14 PM
some stripes by the lake...you can see the Snapper up in the right hand corner.

Up North
08-06-2004, 12:16 PM
very dry at this account, irrigation is a big time luxury around here. Backyard of an another apt. complex I do.

Up North
08-06-2004, 12:18 PM
same apartment complex, back door area. They water this area occasionally.

Up North
08-06-2004, 12:24 PM
loaded up and ready to go home.

If anyone has any suggestions on anything they see I should do differently let me know. I'm learning as I go and really love what I do, I can't wait to focus on my business full time next season.

Definitely need to get a digital camera, these pics are kind of crappy but I need an edger first. (Then a leaf loader, then a dump trailer, then...it never stops does it?)

Buck

BladeRunner1967
08-06-2004, 01:10 PM
How many accounts do you have Buck? Boy you could use some of my rain. It rains every other day here seems like. They only thing I noticed is you need some stick time turning. I got that same prob. LOL. Later.

Up North
08-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Bladerunner,
Yeah we need rain bad!! And yes, you're right, definitely need more stick time. The pics were taken before I found out about the "no zero turning with a zero turn mower rule). I'm working on it...

I have 12 commercial accounts and one residential, then two on the waiting list. I don't want to take on any more as my days are pretty full now. The two others are commercial accounts also and are willing to start with me next season. Their current LCO is the same guys as the ones described in above post about slow warranty work, they are getting a bad rep around here so I don't mind taking over their customers if the customer calls me first.

Buck

seven-up
08-06-2004, 05:51 PM
nice looking mower

Tonyr
08-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Very nice!

Good accounts too!

Thanks mate, I enjoyed the pics and hope the new investment makes you lots of $$$$

Up North
08-06-2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks Tonyr,
I just wished we had some rain so the lawns would be greener & more lush. Up in the north here it is so sandy that the lawns dry out very fast and we haven't had rain for a while. I almost wish I hadn't posted the pics of my accounts because I think they look like crap, now everyone will think I don't know squat about lawn care. Oh well, that's the way it goes.

Have a good weekend Mate!

Buck

Ridgeview Property
09-09-2004, 02:59 AM
Buck, sorry to talk shop on a pics page but what sort of Transaxel are Snapper putting in their new Zs?

BTW is Lawn stripping the norm over there? and do you just adjust the hieght to acheive the effect?

:drinkup:

SCAG POWER
09-09-2004, 05:43 AM
Nice shots of the work you do.How did you get those commercial jobs?
I have been doing this since april of this year , with all commerical gear and all the paper work that is required by this industry, but have yet too get any type of yard other than residential. I have bided on 4 props but none have gone through.One of them was up in port Orange , I just heared that they got wiped out with the storm that we just had.

Most banks around here go with Valley Creast, US. Lawns. Or Chemlawn Land Care.

wHEN IT COMES TO PRICING IT SEEMS THAT EVERY ONE DOWN HERE WANTS IT FOR NEXT TOO NOTHING. But when i price some thing if I can't make any money then i am not interested in it. :sleeping:

Up North
09-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Buck, sorry to talk shop on a pics page but what sort of Transaxel are Snapper putting in their new Zs?

BTW is Lawn stripping the norm over there? and do you just adjust the hieght to acheive the effect?

:drinkup:

Hey Ridgeview, I'll talk shop anywhere! Snapper is using Hydro-Gear I believe. Not sure if that is good, bad or in-different. All I know is the mower is awesome. I really have enjoyed using it, so much so that I actually look forward to getting back on it after a day off.

As for stripping, it depends on what part of the country you live in, but for the most part stripping is the norm. I find that when I cut at a higher setting the stripes are better. Usually I cut at 3 inches, would like to cut higher but most people in this area want it cut at 2 inches so I have to do a sell job just to let me cut it higher. I have some properties that look beautiful now that we got some rain. IMO the pics I posted in this thread don't look real good due to lack of rain, and wish I'd waited for some better ones. Once I get my film developed I'll put some better pics up.

Buck

Up North
09-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Nice shots of the work you do.How did you get those commercial jobs?
I have been doing this since april of this year , with all commerical gear and all the paper work that is required by this industry, but have yet too get any type of yard other than residential. I have bided on 4 props but none have gone through.One of them was up in port Orange , I just heared that they got wiped out with the storm that we just had.

Most banks around here go with Valley Creast, US. Lawns. Or Chemlawn Land Care.

wHEN IT COMES TO PRICING IT SEEMS THAT EVERY ONE DOWN HERE WANTS IT FOR NEXT TOO NOTHING. But when i price some thing if I can't make any money then i am not interested in it. :sleeping:

Hey Scag Power,
Hope all is going okay for you down there. You Floridians have taken a beating and it looks like it might continue this weekend, best of luck and hope Ivan heads off in another direction.

As for getting commercial accounts, well I just knocked on some doors and talked with some people I knew. Since this is our first year we (wife & I) thought residential would be easiest to get into, so we made up our own business cards & flyers. They look nice, not like some fly-by-night type operation. But then in March I would go into businesses and drop off my card and talk to them. I picked up a few that way, but the most effective method was talking to my realtor. I knew he had a couple rental properties, so we got those. He then referred me to another guy that had rental properties, and we got 5 of his. That guy referred me to another commercial account. Then one of the apartment complexes I mow had the guy that fertilizes it living across the street, (he owns a landscape & fert co.) he came out after I finished up one day and said he really liked my work and asked for some of my business cards. I've picked up my largest customer due to him referring us and he has already given me 2 more for next season as he is bidding out "full service" now and he will sub the mowing to me.

I think the reason we never got much residential is I never got a chance to market in that area, being part time our schedule filled up with commercial before we had a chance to hit the residential. But starting in January 2005 I'm going to market to both commercial & residential as we're going full time. We'll send out a flyer, basicly just get our name out there. Then follow up in Feb. with another flyer to again just get people used to seeing our name, then in March I'll start knocking on their doors and hopefully start adding to our account base. We'll also offer a referral program to our current customer base, since referrals is what really got us going. Some may think January is too soon to start marketing but I want to get out before my competitors do. Hopefull it'll work out, I guess I'll know by this time next year... :)

Buck

NelsonLandworks
09-10-2004, 08:24 PM
nice mower, you do a good job with it. I'm using a snapper 44" right now and it does pretty good. About how much was that mower (if you don't mind me asking) thanks
Wes

Up North
09-10-2004, 08:52 PM
nice mower, you do a good job with it. I'm using a snapper 44" right now and it does pretty good. About how much was that mower (if you don't mind me asking) thanks
Wes

Thanks Wes. The Snapper Z was $6499 out the door with 2 sets of Gator Magnum blades, hitch, & some Snapper hats and shirts... :rolleyes:

I love the thing, it does a real nice job and is good on fuel too. Only thing I wish it had was 1/4 inch increments on the deck adjustment, it has 1/2 inch. But other then that, it's been great. This is only the second year they've produced a twin stick Z, I demo'd JD, Dixie Chopper, Hustler, and Exmark and I kept going back to the Snapper so I finally bought the darn thing...glad I did.

Buck