PDA

View Full Version : Warm season vs. cool season grasses.

KenH
08-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Are cool season grass stands more susceptable to weeds than warm season grasses??

I have a customer who has a home in Fla who says he never has as many weeds in his St Augustine lawn than he does in his CT KB lawn.

KenH
08-08-2004, 02:25 PM
I have a hard time believing this group can offer no opinions........

TSM
08-08-2004, 03:42 PM
the best weed control is a dense stand of turf.

I am not a warm season guy, but from my vacations i have noticed those st. augustine and bermuda lawns are pretty dense.

now cool season lawns i know. it has been a tough season controlling weeds. We have purchased much more weed control then anyother season that i can remember.

Extremely cold winter= thinning turf
very slow spring= longer time for turf to recover
rather low rain fall amounts in June (here in MA anyway)= thin turf

Rain in July and/or folks begin irrigating their lawns and weeds take advantage of those thin lawns

KenH
08-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks.

Are warm season grasses able to withstand higher amounts of controls???

Liberty Lawncare
08-08-2004, 08:39 PM
I think TSM is right on the spot with his post. But warm season grass is a stinkin weed anyway. :D

Ric
08-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Ken

I am a St Augustine guy and we got weeds. What your customer doesn't see is the grassy weeds because of the course nature of St Augustine and his lack of knowledge. A health lawn is the best prevention for weeds however our spring dry season in hard on a healthy lawn if the irrigation is not working right. What we can control very easy is broad leaf weeds and that may be why your snowbird customer doesn't see weeds. BTW we have had about three weeks of morning rains that last all day. Crabgrass is going wild and we can not control it until the morning rains stop. Some where around Halloween the crabgrass will start to die and your customer might not be as happy with his Florida Lawn. I am getting ready to herbicide all my yards as soon as it drys up just a little.

KenH
08-09-2004, 07:11 AM
Thanks all.

Ric--- Can a St Augustine lawn withstand a stronger herb. dose than a KB lawn??? (I dont have any labels in front of me.......)

Ric
08-09-2004, 07:26 AM
I don't know Kyblue, so can't say

grassworks
08-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Some observations ..... Most warm season grasses spread with rizones and stolens, most cool season do not. Most warm season grasses reseed at lower heights than many cool season grasses (fescues and rye , some kblue exceptions). Warm season grasses will tend to be thicker more competitive turf during thier growing cycles and hold off weeds better but go check on those same lawns when they go dormant and you'll see the that what everyone else said above is true. The best protection against weeds is a healthy turf ( activley growing and mowed properly!)

grassworks
08-09-2004, 10:35 PM
and by the way ,about the "extra dose" with the weed control. Be care full -- Some weed controls are less compatible on warm season and not on cool and vice versa.

TClawn
08-10-2004, 12:44 PM
I agree with TSM, once a lawn (warm or cold season) grows in really thick it will naturally control the weeds. out here in hawaii once the lawn is grown in we don't have much problems except on the bermuda which is either has lots of weeds or is considered a weed when invading my beautifull lawn.