PDA

View Full Version : question about spraying roundup


Havok
08-07-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm in florida so I can't spray roundup. I was wondering if many people with the roundup license are hired to spray beds and control weeds for lawn services? Even for big companies like Truegreen I am kind of clueless on how much they charge to control weeds. It seems like this isn't something many people get done. I am mainly wondering because I am tired of dealing with weeds by pulling or weed-eating and would like to tell customers to get the beds sprayed because we don't get into the beds.

Greg Amann
08-08-2004, 07:19 AM
I own a pc business in central Florida. We don't and I know of no other companies that sell this service. I do know a couple of licensed landscape companies, ie. TruGreen Landcare and 1 independent, that do it but is is included in their service.
My opinion is to take the test and get licensed to apply Roundup and add to your monthly rate to cover this service.
It isn't something most pc companies have time to do effectively.
Most landscape companies are on their accounts weekly which is what it takes to keep weeds at bay.

ProMo
08-08-2004, 10:02 AM
I have sprayed for a few lco's but most do it illegally

Ric
08-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Greg Amann
I own a pc business in central Florida. We don't and I know of no other companies that sell this service. I do know a couple of licensed landscape companies, ie. TruGreen Landcare and 1 independent, that do it but is is included in their service.
My opinion is to take the test and get licensed to apply Roundup and add to your monthly rate to cover this service.
It isn't something most pc companies have time to do effectively.
Most landscape companies are on their accounts weekly which is what it takes to keep weeds at bay.

Greg

Correct me if I am wrong. But "I believe a limited Roundup license can not advertise weed spraying, etc." However I believe there is a good market for over the top weed control in ornamental beds. However this takes a lot more knowledge than straight Roundup.

Roundup application for regular customer can make a real different on your bottom line. If you want better lawns to mow you have to do weed control. Get the license.

Greg Amann
08-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Ric,

Not sure about the advertising.

I would think that an lco would have more than his fair share of Roundup work on their own accounts without having to advertise for that type of work anyway.

I agree with Ric. Get licensed.

Greg

Precision
08-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Ric,

I am taking the test in Sept. Just wondering if the study guide, example sheet that you get with the packet is fairly accurate as to what the questions are like for the test. Sure seems like it is geared much more towards agro business than what I do.

Studying it all, but you would think our great state could set up 2 different tests. One for agro and one for LCO applications.

Havok
08-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Well I don't have 3 years in the business so I can't take the test yet. Most of the yards that we have that would need it already have their turf sprayed so is weed control a service that most pc businesses will perform on their regular accounts as an optional add on service?

Greg Amann
08-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Havok,
You can go to the county extension office and get the info. you need to take the limited license to apply Roundup. I don't think you need 3 years exp. for this license.

Ric,
Do you know the link with the info. for the limited license?

Ric
08-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Greg Amann
Havok,
You can go to the county extension office and get the info. you need to take the limited license to apply Roundup. I don't think you need 3 years exp. for this license.

Ric,
Do you know the link with the info. for the limited license?



http://www.flaes.org/

Is the State web site. on the left hand side click on entomology and then look for Commercial Limited License link, click on it. Sorry the website does not have direct access.

You need 3 years in the green industry to sit for the limited license test. You do not need to show any experience in pesticides.

I have the unlimited commercial certifications and have a full blown pesticide company. Therefore I have never taken the limited test and can not tell you any thing about it. The L & O certification test was a snap for me because I was over prepared. I was still taking college courses in horticulture and took two different test tutorials because I heard the test was so hard and over 50% fail it first 4 times. 40 minute after the 4 hour test started I was heading home knowing I passed it. However for the next 4 weeks I was on pins and needle waiting for the results and wondering if I really had passed.

ProMo
08-09-2004, 07:38 AM
its the lawnboy exemtion you cant advertise for were you can spray a customers lawn with there equipment and chemicals

birdmann
08-09-2004, 08:08 AM
From what i understnad you need to have 3yrs of experience w/ an id badge in order to be able to take the test ..Also the limited lisence test IS MUCH hard than the full test , just to give ya a heads up . There are other options however , you can pay for or give a percentage to a licenced persons ..All you have to do once you have this id , is put somewhere on your truck or trailer the licenced persons company name ...All you are basically is an employee of the licenced persons company ...hope ya understand what im getting at here .....

Ric
08-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Promo Lawn Services
its the lawnboy exemtion you cant advertise for were you can spray a customers lawn with there equipment and chemicals


Promo

Yes Florida has a Lawn boy clause. However their chemicals and equipment is the biggie. Don't get caught with pesticides on your lawn truck of trailer. First time Fines are getting stiffer. I have seen a lot of guys do Sunday pest control illegal and get away with it. However Many have camera and love to take pictures to turn you in with. Roundup in my mind is no biggie but insecticides, etc are.

ProMo
08-09-2004, 07:06 PM
I have one customer I spray the lawn for I had her buy the sprayer and chemicals she stores at her house. That is legal, putting a name of a company that has the limited lic is not because no one can work under the limited license.

birdmann
08-09-2004, 07:12 PM
But you can work under a license of friend in the pest control biz...
Networking can grow both of your businesses .....

Ric
08-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by birdmann
But you can work under a license of friend in the pest control biz...
Networking can grow both of your businesses .....

Birdmann

Yes you can have a friend who is a CPO hold a card on you. However you had better have his company name on the side of your truck. He had better be able to prove you are an employee by payroll deductions also.

birdmann
08-10-2004, 05:01 AM
That is what i was saying in one of my previous posts ..The name of the lisensed company somewhere on your truck or trailer IS A MUST ... Also let him pay you , no problem at all ...To make money ya have to spend money :) ....You can look at as a lease of sorts .

Ric
08-10-2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by birdmann
That is what i was saying in one of my previous posts ..The name of the lisensed company somewhere on your truck or trailer IS A MUST ... Also let him pay you , no problem at all ...To make money ya have to spend money :) ....You can look at as a lease of sorts .

Birdmann


Yes you can look at it any way you want to. However how the State inspector looks at it is the question. There has been a few who have paid big fines doing this. The card holder is not talking any risk, However the CPO is putting his Cert on the line.