turfman33
08-07-2004, 06:56 PM
hey guys,

Thought you may like to check this out.

Steve

http://www.crabgrassalert.com/

Critical Care
08-07-2004, 07:18 PM
I wonder what the active chemical is... I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

nriddle77
08-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Seems a bit pricy to me.

chimmygew
08-07-2004, 09:33 PM
You will still need a license to apply it to your customer's lawns...

mowerman90
08-07-2004, 10:13 PM
I'm sure that this is a get rich scheme (IMHO) by someone who's packaged good old "baking soda" and is trying to sell it as a miracle herbicide. For anyone who doesn't believe this go find a patch of carpet grass and wet it with a hose and then sprinkle a little Arm & Hammer on it and come back in about an hour. What you'll find is black decaying dead carpet grass.

Precision
08-08-2004, 02:28 PM
I have an old lady as a client who swears by baking soda to kill crab grass.

I was like yeah right. But she got some and poured it on the crabgrass and surrounding St augustine. I be damned if the crabgrass wasn't dead this week and the St. augustine looked fine.

So I have to agree with mowerman90

Liberty Lawncare
08-08-2004, 09:33 PM
The grasses in the north rye, fescue, kentuckey blue and bent grass are not tested. That is strange IMO.

GregoryR
08-09-2004, 11:57 AM
I wrote them for a label and MSDS. I wonder if they will send any.
Greg

Norm Al
08-10-2004, 05:55 PM
im curious greg why would you think they wouldnt send you a label and msds sheet?

liberty testing has been done on those grass but it burns the northern turfs,,,,,lesco has done a ton of testing with it!

i have a feeling you guys would be surprised to find out what most of the products we use are made out of! just do a search on permethrins or glyphosates or 24d!

ProMo
08-10-2004, 06:33 PM
its got cinnamon,corn and wheat flour baking soda and a few other ingrediants in it.

Ric
08-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Norm Al
im curious greg why would you think they wouldnt send you a label and msds sheet?

liberty testing has been done on those grass but it burns the northern turfs,,,,,lesco has done a ton of testing with it!

i have a feeling you guys would be surprised to find out what most of the products we use are made out of! just do a search on permethrins or glyphosates or 24d!

Norm Al

You have used that product haven't you not?? Does it work for you?? I know a guy named Scott Sure that likes it a lot.

GregoryR
08-11-2004, 02:19 AM
Norm,
They havent sent any to me. I wonder if they will? How long should it take?
Most companies that produce chemicals in our industry will have specimen labels and MSDS on the website to download. They dont, so they are unusual.

Norm Al
08-14-2004, 01:24 PM
hahahah yes ric i have used tons of it! and it works great!

florida pest control in florida uses tons of it a month and swears by it! you know why? becvause they were begging for a labeled crabgrass killer to kill crabgrass and make some extra cash in an area they couldnt really generate a solution for,,,,,,as the other big companys had given up on a crabgrass remedy! mainly because of the epa and the hoops they make you jump through for new products.

it isnt anything more than a "tool" to make money with! a shovel is nothing more than wood and steel but we keep buying them,,,,why not wittle your own?

dont get caught up in what something is,,,,,,get caught up in it if you can make money with it because your customers like it and it works!

in an area such as spray services who are steadily losing products because of environmental issues,,,,if i was yall i would be learning how to incorporate any new product that works.

tremor
08-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Whether this stuff works isn't the issue. The issue is that in order for anyone to use it for hire requires that it be EPA & State registered or the user is violation both Federal & State pesticide laws as is the company(ies) manufacturing or distributing it. No label or MSDS makes this a very suspicious offering.

Norm,

Does the label indicate an EPA Reg. Number?

Steve

Norm Al
08-15-2004, 02:16 PM
it is EPA exempt as it actually fits the requirements of an organic 25B exemption.

they will get you anything you need! the website you are looking at is "homeowner" product and homeowners dont down load and print labels and msds sheets.

verticon sells the professional package and if you need anything contact them direct or contact agralawn direct and they will get you anything you need,,,,,nobody is trying to hide anything!

why would they? want to hide anything or not get you what you need to be in compliance?

Critical Care
08-16-2004, 12:19 PM
EPA exempt doesn't mean that it shouldn't disclose some information about what "stuff" the public is tossing around on their lawns.

As you know, there have been some non-regulated health drugs, such as ephedra, that have caused major problems - and deaths in this case.

I don't know about you guys, but I just don't feel good about dumping "stuff" on lawns without knowing exactly what it is first. How do you explain to your clients what you're using when you don't know yourself? This doesn't mean that it's not a good product, or safe, but as professionals shouldn't we know what we're doing?

Critical Care
08-16-2004, 12:55 PM
Oh... almost forgot to add that you're right Norm Al that a lot of products do have permethrins, glyphosates, or 24D in them - among other things. But this may just amplifly the fact to disclose information about products, organics as well. Permethrins are synthetic pyrethroids, which are found in chrysanthemums. Organic enough, but toxic to fish. The EPA also classifies it as a carcinogen. You'd hate to be using your friendly organic pesticide around a clients pond and end up wiping out all his prize koi!

Caveat emptor.

Norm Al
08-16-2004, 11:40 PM
critical i never said i didnt think we shouldn't know what we are using?

i said that company wasnt hiding anything,,,,,if you ask them for something they will give it to you OR if you call the distributor he will give you what you want also! no secrets, no poisons, its just a new company that hasnt put the stuff as printable on their website!

also i wasnt implying that those products were harmless i was only using them as examples of products that are simple yet effective! they dont have a big secret they just paid a university for a fancy name for a simple product!

Rob Spread & Spray
08-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Wow you guys are a tough crowd. I m a licensed applicator, have seen the studies on the product, know the guy who created it, have seen it work.

If it does not have an EPA number due to exemption, you dont need a license to apply it. It's just like Mosquito Barrier. No license required due to its content.

Like Norm said, contact the distributor and you will get all the info you need.

Critical Care
08-18-2004, 10:34 PM
For whatever its worth, I didn't mean to knock the product at all. It's probably 100% safe. It's just my nature to be a bit cautious about any product that I haven't used before, that I don't know anything about, and that doesn't display on a label what the active ingredients are.

Norm Al
08-19-2004, 10:21 AM
the label says every product that is in it!

did gregoryr ever get a msds and label?

goforgreen2
08-19-2004, 10:57 PM
From my understanding it's mainly Baking soda which has been used for years by some. It dose seem to kill but is epensive. I hear Dow will have something in the near future and am waiting for the day.

GregoryR
08-21-2004, 01:29 AM
Norm,
No I didnt. Very strange. I am an avid user of ECO Smart products.
I scarcely press the send button for info or insight, or anything and I get a reply by email and a follow up call. I am required to provide anyone who asks for one an MSDS sheet within 24hrs. I would be up a creek if I used this stuff and somebody asked me for an MSDS. From what you and the others are saying it must be a great product. But there is more to it than that.

Nothing To Hide
09-09-2004, 09:22 PM
I don't see what all the fuss is about. I receive very few request for labels or msds information from the thousands of homeowners who have tried and love this product. The few request that I have received were professionals and they did get a reply shortly after they inquired for the information. It is available to anyone who requests it through email and a paper copy is shipped with the product. I am working on adding a link to the website so that the info can be printed from the site. The site is new and needs some updating. If anyone has any questions please email me or go to the manufacturers website at Agralawn.com
Thanks Jim

Norm Al
09-20-2004, 06:11 PM
there you go!

coastallandscapesolutions
09-24-2004, 09:30 PM
I have an old lady as a client who swears by baking soda to kill crab grass.

I was like yeah right. But she got some and poured it on the crabgrass and surrounding St augustine. I be damned if the crabgrass wasn't dead this week and the St. augustine looked fine.

So I have to agree with mowerman90

SO then... how much baking soda would you mix in 100 gallons? I have a yard I would love to try it on.