PDA

View Full Version : Organic law care for NEWBIE - St Augstine grass

KevinP
08-08-2004, 07:23 PM
I am a new homeowner and maintain my own yard. I want to use organic fertilizer for my St. Augustine grass. But from all the research I'm doing it seems kinda daunting.

The only product I can find in Home Depot/Lowe's is Milo granite. But since that is 6-2-0 do I need to apply something else to the lawn?

I'm a total "NEWBIE" when it comes to lawn care and wanted something as low maintenance as possible. I wanted to just apply fertilizer 3-4 times a year and mow/water regularly and not touch anything unless there is a problem.

Can anyone outline a plan on how often should I fertilize and if I need any other products? Or should I simply follow the directions on the back of the Milo granite bag? (apply 4 times a year b/w early Spring & late Fall)

Thanks for your help :-)

Randy J
08-08-2004, 07:38 PM
In Texas, and I would think it would be the same in Florida, there were a few nursery's that specialized in organics. If you can find a nursery that does, they would be able to give you good advice for your lawn. I was able to pick up a good quality organic for the spring, and one for the fall. That seemed to work real well for my lawn.

KevinP
08-11-2004, 05:20 PM
Randy,

How often do you have to do fertilize your lawn? My initial plan was to jsut follow the Scotts cycle on the back of the bag, only apply 4-5 times a year.

I wasn't going to de-thatch my lawn or do anything crazy unless I noticed some kind of problem.

Can you apply the same "mantra" doing it the organic way? I don't want to start doing compost and corn meal gluten, etc., etc.

I guess basically what I was "HOPING" for was organic bags to repalce the 'chemical' bags.

But alas, I don't think it is as simple as that :confused:

Randy J
08-11-2004, 06:36 PM
I was just fertilizing twice a year. The packaged organic fertilizer was really pretty good. I had a nice bermuda lawn - at least considering I did it all from seed. Keep looking, I'm sure there are some organic fertilizer providers down there somewhere.

Mower63
08-14-2004, 03:37 PM
Kevin,

If you are newbie to St. Augustine grass try this as a resource. It is basic and addresses your desire to reduce watering and chemical requirements. I've found the concepts to work very well.

Bulletproof Lawn by Bob Imbrigiotta (Natural Lawn Company)
http://www.naturallawncompany.com/main.html

I don't have any connection to this guy, I only found it on the web when I was trying to find solutions to some problems in my lawn.

Now that I'm an LCO, I also want to offer this type of alternative care to my clients.

:cool:

Dchall_San_Antonio
08-23-2004, 02:13 PM
Hi Kevin. I could go on and on about your needs but you know what? I'm not going to. Here's why. Although it might not seem like it all the time, this forum is for professionals in the landscaping business seeking advice about how to do their business better. There are several sources for exactly what you're looking for on the Internet. If you'll write to me, preferably email, I'll get you to the proper place(s) in a jiffy. I'd just rather do the homeowner gig in the right place and leave this place intact as the owner intends it.

dchall8 (at sign) texas.net