PDA

View Full Version : ZTR Ride

FULTRTL
08-09-2004, 11:18 AM
I have tested a Kubota ZG23 and Gravely 160Z so far. The Kubota was ok but the Gravely beat me to death.Which stock ztr do you think rides the best,Thanks for your input.

65hoss
08-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Lots of factors make the rides. Tire pressure, seats, suspension, ground condition, etc.

Ferris probably has the best "ride" for overall. Every mower can have a suspension seat added to help also.

KUBOTADAN
08-09-2004, 12:04 PM
I have a Kubota ZD 21 & ZD 18. It depend on the terrian I think they ride as good as any.

ProStreetCamaro
08-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by FULTRTL
I have tested a Kubota ZG23 and Gravely 160Z so far. The Kubota was ok but the Gravely beat me to death.Which stock ztr do you think rides the best,Thanks for your input.

No matter what all ztr's are going to be some what rough. I sat down on a 200 series gravely with the $800 seat option and omg I fell in love! We got a PM 34Z and talk about rough! I checked the tires and they were wayyyyyyyy over inflated so I lowered them down and it got fairly smooth. Our 48"lazer z hp rides pretty good but it to can get rough.

Lawnboy112
08-09-2004, 03:22 PM
I say the Dixon rides the best. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Steve1
08-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Most ZTR's ride somewhat similarly if all things are equal but some are a little better than others.

Five factors affect ride quality: 1) Tire pressure - be sure you run the presssure somewhere in the middle of the manufacturer's suggested pressure range. A few pounds too much will make for an unbelievably harsh ride. Adjusting this pressure up or down can affect the quality of the ride to give you more satisfaction - you just have to see what works best for your terrain and your machine. But you should always stay within the manufacturer's specs.

2) Seat height above the ground - the higher the operator sits, the greater the effect of side to side movement. It's like holding a stick in your hand - if you wave it side to side, you see more overall movement the further away from your hand you go. On a ZTR, the ground is like your hand and the higher you sit is as if you move farther out on the stick example. If you sit on a mower with a higher seating position, you will notice the difference enormously by day's end.

3) Wheelbase - the wider the wheelbase (obviously limited by deck size), the smoother the ride for the same reason as item 2.

4) Seat construction and suspension - a no brainer here. A suspended seat (with good adjustment) will certainly help smooth out the bumps along the way. However, overly suspended can lead to bouncing and bottoming out if not properly adjusted which can be more painful than sitting in a non-suspended seat.

5) Turf condition - obviously, the smoother the terrain, the better the ride.

John Deere's Z-Trak's have an unsuspended seat. However, they are very well cushioned and with proper tire inflation they ride as good as anyone and better than most. Grasshopper also has a great ride. Ferris touts their Independent Suspension which does smooth things out as well.

There are a LOT of great ZTR's out there - demo, demo, demo and see what YOU like.

FULTRTL
08-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks, I tried to lower the tire pressure and helped some but nowhere near where you could cut at an acceptable speed. The dealer told me when they picked it up that there was not an upgrade seat available. The Kubota was the best by far but didn't look that beefy. I will demo a Ferris this week and my Exmak dealer says with his seat upgrade I will not find anything. better. Well we willl have to see.

Steve1
08-09-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by FULTRTL
I will demo a Ferris this week and my Exmak dealer says with his seat upgrade I will not find anything. better. Well we willl have to see.

Good idea to demo all you can.

As far as the "not find anything better", well you may or may not find anything 'better' but you will certainly find others just as good. :D

JPLAWNSERVICE
08-09-2004, 06:56 PM
Prostreet, check your private messages.