View Full Version : Home improvement license to mulch?

08-09-2004, 02:11 PM
I found out last year that here in Maryland you are suppose to have a home improvemnt license to mulch somebody's beds. Does this apply every where? Thats about the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

08-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Not everywhere. PA I can do anything!

I am glad you found out. It amazes me how many people in MD have no clue. Almost anything that is done for hire to improve a home falls under that catagory. Get paid $5 to dig a hole and to plant a tree for the lady next door ? Need a MHIC.

Now, my peeves with the whole deal is the test is all about contract law and wage law. A MHIC proves you passed a test and have liabilty insurance. Does not say squat about your ability. BTW you do not need one to build a house for someone. Another screwy deal - by law, I can remove a garbage disposal, but I need a plumber and an electrician to install the new one!

MD Dept of Licensing (http://www.dllr.state.md.us/license/occprof/index.html)

08-09-2004, 05:09 PM
It applies everywhere in Maryland. You need the licence to do any improvement on a residential property.Not for grass cutting , but for landscaping, irrigation , painting , decks , replacement windows ,sealcoating , etc. And it does not have anything to do with the quality of your work , or if you know what you are doing .I would suggest that you obtain the licence , from what I remember its 5 years and a 5 grand fine for contracting work in Maryland with out one. As far as mulch , if you are remulching an existing bed , you shouldnt need it , but if its a new bed its now landscaping and you need the licence.

09-12-2004, 10:52 AM
I got curious and checked the MD regulations. Yes landscaping requires an MHIC license. Take a look at the code:

See § 8-101 (g. 2 i)