PDA

View Full Version : sun burn

bobbygedd
08-09-2004, 08:42 PM
if a person has bad sun burn, is it ok to put an ice pack on it?

odin
08-09-2004, 08:45 PM
think you be better off get a spay or cream for sunburn....man start wareing that sunblock ...i do after the doc had to lazer off some skin cancer's.

1MajorTom
08-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Aloe Vera Gel is great and really relieves the burn.
However, if you can't afford sunblock, you probably won't be able to afford this.... ;)

GBCS
08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by 1MajorTom
However, if you can't afford sunblock, you probably won't be able to afford this.... ;)

After he collects on that $300 he should be able to afford it. :D

tiedeman
08-09-2004, 09:14 PM
I use both Gels and sprays to take care of sunburn, mostly contains Aloe...but man is it expensive. I was thinking of just growing my own Aloe plants

NNJLandman
08-09-2004, 09:27 PM
I usually put sun screen on my shoulders, back of neck and my face, thats where I usually burn, I put it on before I head out to work that way it kinda "soaks" into my skin and stuff won't cling to it while I work, otherwise I don't burn, try to get a nice tan:)

Jeff

tiedeman
08-09-2004, 09:36 PM
my wife yells at me for not putting sunscreen on, but I have tried it before and I am caked with dust and dirt by the end of the day because it sticks to the lotion.
As she says, its better to be dirty than to have cancer. But I still won't use sunscreen. After the first burn of the season, I don't burn anymore after then, seriously

Big Lew
08-09-2004, 10:10 PM
I also have skin cancer.....The Dr recommends only one thing and that is NO Sun.....none.....if your cutting grass....wear a large hat and cover yourself with the lightest clothing to stay cool....they even want you to buy special clothing. I go every 6 months for a whole body chk up and I have also had a malignant tumor removed about 5 yrs ago,,,,had nothing to do with the skin cancer,,,,two different types of cancer here,,anyway,,got the skin cancer from long days on the flight deck of a carrier without a shirt (many years ago)......its no fun to be cut up every 6 months or so,,,,so do protect yourself....take it from one who knows.
><> God Bless

dcondon
08-09-2004, 10:14 PM
for some reason I never burn.......... I have one hell of a farmers tan though;)

tiedeman
08-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by dcondon
for some reason I never burn.......... I have one hell of a farmers tan though;)

LMAO...don't we all.

MudslinginFX4
08-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
if a person has bad sun burn, is it ok to put an ice pack on it?

Back to your question Bobby... I don't think ice will make your burn any worse, but I also don't think it is going to speed up the healing process. About the only thing that is going to make it get better faster is time and possibly aloe spray. Also, of course... not another sunburn.

Ric
08-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
I was thinking of just growing my own Aloe plants

Barbados Aloe is in the same genius as aloe vero and grows wild all over Florida. Everyone here keeps a plant for burns. They can be grown inside in a pot and require very little water or fertilizer.

BooBy

I will recommend you use an other succulent cactus by the name of Century Plant Cactus. In fact your Buddy "Nelbuts" and I were drinking a beer and talking about in on Saturday. Yep it will make you forget all about the sunburn for sure.

odin
08-09-2004, 10:46 PM
lol ric .....if that treatment dont work ..it at least will put him on needles and pins lol

Steve9
08-09-2004, 10:52 PM
I use Coppertone thats OIL FREE. Its the best stuff. I too couldnt stand weraing suncreen because it was so oily and gross plus I sweated profusely when that oily crap is on you and your skin cant breath.
Oil free absorbs right in and u cant even tell your wearing anything.

geogunn
08-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Ric
BooBy I will recommend you use an other succulent cactus by the name of Century Plant Cactus.

Ric--since it is bob we are talking about, I gotta ask if the cactus you recommend is actually PEYOTE...!

GEO :eek:

Ric
08-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by geogunn
Ric--since it is bob we are talking about, I gotta ask if the cactus you recommend is actually PEYOTE...!

GEO :eek:

Geo

BooBy already knows about Peyote. Why do you think he uses so much Haldol and Thorazine today.

In fact it was Peyote that makes BooBy believe he was with every cheerleader in the High school he never pass into. Social promotions only go the the 8th grade.

dishboy
08-09-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Ric
Barbados Aloe is in the same genius as aloe vero and grows wild all over Florida. Everyone here keeps a plant for burns. They can be grown inside in a pot and require very little water or fertilizer.

BooBy

I will recommend you use an other succulent cactus by the name of Century Plant Cactus. In fact your Buddy "Nelbuts" and I were drinking a beer and talking about in on Saturday. Yep it will make you forget all about the sunburn for sure.

Ric, I thought I was the only one who called him Booby, I guess the words out.

Ric
08-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by dishboy
Ric, I thought I was the only one who called him Booby, I guess the words out.

Dishboy

It was actually "Runner" that coined the name back in Sept of 2003. I just spend 15 minutes on the search feature to find the first BooBy Gelding. A lot of BooBy Traps before him. But what the heck BooBy is his own trap. I didn't search any farther to see who was next to use the name BooBy. But with close to 6,000 post and not one good green industry question or answer I am sure you will agree the name BooBy sure it fitting of the personality.

BTW FYI Below is a picture of our own BooBy Gelding

Cracker
08-10-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by 1MajorTom

Good one :D

DALMlawn&landscaping
08-10-2004, 12:13 AM
there's a lot of cactus here in texas, when ever some poor kid works and gets sundburnt or burns himself of some equipment, i just go and knock off a pad of cactus, cut it open, and scrape off the meat and juices, works good, cheaper than aloe gels and hell, cactus is practically a weed here so people dont mind you walking over to get a piece of it.

Mickhippy
08-10-2004, 07:13 AM
I hate the lotions as well but theres some good stuff out there these days. Try Banana Boat Active Sport spf30+ or Bull Frog QuikGel spf 36+
Both are very quick drying with no residue so no dust sticking to it! Also lasts pretty much all day with 1 app. I just do my nose and neck.

Ice will relieve the burning feeling (your supposed to run other burns under cold water) but it wont do much in the way of treatment. Just make it feel better for a while!
To help with peeling, come home, have a cool shower and apply cheap as chips Sorbolene cream! It puts the moisture back into the skin and helps reduce peeling and you'll end up with a tan.

We have the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world and have done alot or research into it.
Try to build up to a good tan over a period of time rather than just getting roasted. Melanin in the skin is the best sunburn reducer.

First post here for a while, sorry for rant!

bobbygedd
08-10-2004, 08:18 AM
ric, i'm shocked. i never thought you would be so jealous of me. true though, i have been refered to as a "fountain of useless information", but, a fountain nonetheless. better to be a fountain, than a puddle of urine though.

Ric
08-10-2004, 08:27 AM
ric, i'm shocked. i never thought you would be so jealous of me. true though, i have been refered to as a "fountain of useless information", but, a fountain nonetheless. better to be a fountain, than a puddle of urine though.

BooBy

Everyone pounds on you, yet you pick me as your choice to reply too. Should I feel honored??? Yes IMHO you are a puddle piss.

bobbygedd
08-10-2004, 08:32 AM
maybe cus i like you the most? or i hate you less, not sure. anyhow, yea you're right ric, they are all pounding on me, in a way i'm sure they are all jealous of me, it's ok, it will only make them try harder. btw, i'm gonna try that cactus you reccommended.

rmartin
08-10-2004, 09:17 AM
bobbygedd,

rub some babyoil on it and head right back out there.....Be a trooper.

QC Lawn Services
08-10-2004, 10:20 AM
The best sunscreen that I have tried is called Bullfrog. I have red hair and a very fair complextion. I wear sunscreen all the time. My wife bought me a very light weight, vented, long sleeve shirt made by Columbia that touted a SPF rating of 30. I wear that and a hat and sunscreen and sunglasses. I have had very little burning this year because I don't want skin cancer. Both of my parents have had lesions removed, fortunately before it had spread. Skin cancer is about 95% curable is caught early. All of us should be aware of some of the signs of skin cancer; odd shaped freckles or dark marks on the skin, cuts that ooze but never seem to heal, growing masses on the skin. It is worth the while to see a doctor once a year for a check over. Its better than the alternative.

Rhett
08-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Best thing for a bad sunburn I have found is to run a cool bath and put some whole milk in it. Soak in the tub for about half hour. Repeat in a couple of hours. Takes the sting right out and there is no peeling. Got this from an emergency room doctor at Daytona Beach in 1981.

gml9
08-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Called Lidocaine....if your not wearing a shirt........BURN!!!

Expert Lawns
08-10-2004, 12:27 PM

a puddle of piss can just lay there and smell. a fountain actually has to do some work

Ric
08-10-2004, 02:21 PM
maybe cus i like you the most? or i hate you less, not sure. anyhow, yea you're right ric, they are all pounding on me, in a way i'm sure they are all jealous of me, it's ok, it will only make them try harder. btw, i'm gonna try that cactus you reccommended.

BooBy

If you can't find a century cactus try Oleander or Poison Oak they will work just as good.

Now let us tell the truth BooBy. You are jealous of me, is that not the truth. Why else would you always pick on me. Let us go back to our first exchange on LS. You pimped me first and have never let up. Now facts are facts. So tonight when you sleep on the couch all alone except for your blow up doll named Ric sleep tight. BTW Booby I am not white, so please make sure your blow up doll has brown eyes if you want it to look like me. FYI yes ethnic people are better in all ways but particularly when it comes to endowment. So eat your heart out, because the closest you will ever come is in your dreams.

bobbygedd
08-10-2004, 03:35 PM
that explains alot of things

bobbygedd
08-10-2004, 03:48 PM
you know ric, on a serious note, i didn't realize you were taking things so personal. i thought we were both just having fun.

chimmygew
08-10-2004, 05:26 PM
An ice pack will not help at all. Take a really cold shower or bath and then use aloe vera gel afterwards. A sun burn is a first degree burn. By applying an ice pack, you would actually pull more moisture from the skin, hindering the healing process.