PDA

View Full Version : sharpening your own blades?

contourbs
08-09-2004, 09:08 PM
who shapens there own blades?if not what does the dealer charge.is it worth it to buy a grinder for say 500 dollars with a balancer?

tiedeman
08-09-2004, 09:12 PM
faster, cheaper, and easier to just do it yourself

locutus
08-09-2004, 09:15 PM
I use a 4.5 inch angle grinder that I bought from Harbor freight for $15.00. It has paid for itself many-many times over. I wish I had a Magna-Matic balancer to go along with it though.

tx_angler
08-09-2004, 09:16 PM
My dealer is 22 miles one way from my shop and charges $5/blade to sharpen them on an 8" bench grinder. I keep 3 sets of blades for every mower sharpened myself using an Oregon brand sharpener so the answer is I sharpen my own blades.

contourbs
08-09-2004, 09:48 PM
but does everyone balance the blades once they shapen them.also whats the best for the money grinder

tiedeman
08-09-2004, 09:51 PM
to be honest with you, I hardly balance my blades. I know that I might get a lot of slack from people about that, but I usually put on a new set anyways after 3 to 4 weeks.

dcondon
08-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
to be honest with you, I hardly balance my blades. I know that I might get a lot of slack from people about that, but I usually put on a new set anyways after 3 to 4 weeks.

Same as you Troy, we never balance blades. Sharpen them every 2-3 days. No problems with spindles.

contourbs
08-09-2004, 10:09 PM
what are most people use to sharpen them,also with them not balanced,will it give a uneven cut?

tiedeman
08-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by contourbs
what are most people use to sharpen them,also with them not balanced,will it give a uneven cut?

over the years I have never had an uneven cut or spindles going bad on me

X-mow
08-09-2004, 11:11 PM
This is my blade sharpening setup

X-mow
08-09-2004, 11:13 PM
here's another pic

txlawnking
08-09-2004, 11:19 PM
X-mow, that's pretty crafty.. How good does it work?

To answer the question, yes, I sharpen my own, although I agree with locutus, I really wish I had a real balancer.

X-mow
08-09-2004, 11:31 PM
It works great here's some pics of blades

X-mow
08-09-2004, 11:36 PM
It kind of hard to see in a pic how sharp it is

IndyPropertyCare
08-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Balance ???? what,,, are you kidding me !!!! If it needs 2B balanced then it is "BENT" ok.OR you ground off so much of the blade its not even close.......get a new set. What, ya think your putting on a set of tires ?? and your going to put wheel weights on it..... If it >vibrates< then its bent !!!! Sharpen with a good smooth edge grinder only if you know how to ( like its rocket science ). Like the good comedian said.. What the F'k were you think'in.................. LOL

txlawnking
08-09-2004, 11:44 PM
X-mow, now I am duly motivated to build my own grinder:D The motor looks like a 1/2 hp or so.. Maybe a little on the feeble side, or no? How long does it take you to sharpen three blades with that big dude?

The reason I want to balance isn't so much for the machine's sake as mine, I hate high frequency vibes, as I have Carpal tunnel.

X-mow
08-10-2004, 12:01 AM
the motor is a 1/2 hp i think, i'll have to check. It's plenty power even with the huge drive pulley and a really small driven. I'd have to measure to get the actual sizes. I think it takes me about 10 -15 mins to sharpen a set if I don't let them go too long.

txlawnking
08-10-2004, 12:04 AM
Thanks, I'm very motivated now.. Your setup sure makes alot prettier edge than my feeble angle grinder.

X-mow
08-10-2004, 12:12 AM
yeah I used to use an angle grinder and this is really a big improvement the motor IS a 1/2 hp and the drive pulley is about 4" and the driven about 2". I had to learn how to keep from burning the edge.

Lbilawncare
08-10-2004, 12:30 AM
I use a 4 1/2" grinder with a flap disc (60 grit sandpaper disc) Doesn't take very much off and doesn't heat the blade up, is fast too. If the blade needs to have a new angle put on it I switch to the regular grinding disc.

gogetter
08-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by IndyPropertyCare
Balance ???? what,,, are you kidding me !!!! If it needs 2B balanced then it is "BENT" ok.OR you ground off so much of the blade its not even close.......get a new set. What, ya think your putting on a set of tires ?? and your going to put wheel weights on it..... If it >vibrates< then its bent !!!! Sharpen with a good smooth edge grinder only if you know how to ( like its rocket science ). Like the good comedian said.. What the F'k were you think'in.................. LOL

Huh?:confused:

SummitLLC
08-11-2004, 01:14 AM
I do all my own blades by hand. Used a grinder for a while but it was taking too long, so I use a rough file to get them even, and then a finer one to actually sharpen them. Twelve blades takes me about 1.5- 2 hours. They come out better than new.
Josh

paponte
08-11-2004, 01:20 AM
2 RBG grinders. Work great everytime. :cool:

Mowin Mac
08-11-2004, 01:25 AM
I am still amazed that you would spend several thousand dollars on a commercial mower and then try to skimp on blade sharpening. Sure, you can get by with a angle grinder, or a file, or a belt sander, just like you could get by with a Craftsman, or a Murray.
You will be amazed at the difference the first time that you use blades that have been sharpened and balanced on commercial quality equipment.
Money well spent.

odin
08-11-2004, 01:48 AM
magna matic.............................................

Richard Martin
08-11-2004, 04:44 AM
I use a Wall Enterprises BG121 grinder and a home made balancer which consists of a stainless steel 5/8"od 1/4"id bearing on a 1/4" drill bit run into the wall.

Can you hear me now?

SWD
08-11-2004, 07:40 AM
I picked up a Foley blade grinder for $100. I built a small wooden stand on casters so I can roll the set up to the door of my shop so the grinding residue doesn't contaminate my shop.
The Foley is strong enough to sharpen my bushhog blades as wel as all other rotary blades I have.
Currently, I have approximately 6 sets of blades per machine, about 45 blades total.
With my set up, I can sharpen and balance one blade in under four minutes if they are really chewed up.
The blades which only require touch up, I can grind in under a minute.
The balancer I have is a cheapie cone setup as my budget will not allow a magna matic balancer - maybe in a month or so.
With regards to balancing, I get them close with the cone set, not perfect, but enough that if I don't, I can tell a difference in vibration/noise.
I'll post a picture once I figure out how to use the digital camera better.

KUBOTADAN
08-11-2004, 10:09 AM
I sharpen 15 to eighteen blades a week. I do it myself wit a 7" hand grinder. I don't balance the blades. Never had a problem with spindles. I rotate blades on my mowers ever 6 hours of service or sooner if I have heavy cutting. Save the engine.

GeeVee
08-11-2004, 11:22 AM
Balancing every other time is just a quick check. A nail in the wall will suffice.

Any knicks in the blades will throw it off. Since it doesn't take too much time to check balance, I do it just for piece of mind that I don't wear spindles bearings. The cost/savings ratio is proof in the pudding.

I pay $7.75 per blade in bulk, so if I were to spend 5.00 per blade to have someone else do it....... Simply, the grinder is a tool you should have in a shop anyway.

We use handheld grinders for portability and safety.

txlawnking
08-11-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Mowin Mac
I am still amazed that you would spend several thousand dollars on a commercial mower and then try to skimp on blade sharpening. Sure, you can get by with a angle grinder, or a file, or a belt sander, just like you could get by with a Craftsman, or a Murray.
You will be amazed at the difference the first time that you use blades that have been sharpened and balanced on commercial quality equipment.
Money well spent.

I wouldn't disagree with this, other than the fact I spent 10G on equipment and I don't exactly have several hundred to a thousand dollars laying around to spend on a trick sharpening/balancing setup.... Angle grinder works for now, but I would like the trick stuff... Someday

gogetter
08-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by SummitLLC
Twelve blades takes me about 1.5- 2 hours. They come out better than new.

Whoa!! All the more reason for you to buy a dedicated blade grinder (or something........ anything!!)!.

I currently use a bench grinder for now. And 12 blades would only take me about 20-25 minutes or so, and that inlcudes a quick balance on a cone.

A dedicated blade grinder would make it even faster and easier (not to mention a better edge on my blades).

burnandreturn
08-11-2004, 01:24 PM
I use a belt sander I made myself. It has a two inch wide by six foot belt, I use a 36 grit to sharpen the blades. It also has a wire wheel to knock off the grass buildup around the center hole. I an adjustable table to set the blade on and run past the belt. I have it marked for the different angles for different blades. It has a one hp motor and takes me less than two minutes on a pretty beat up blade. MY balancer is right on the stand so it makes for a very streamlined efficient sharpening process. Cost for parts including motor was under $300. It will do at least if not better job than a Magna-matic. I've used both I like the belt sander better. Also has many uses besides blades. On mulching blades I can do the fins if I want, Try that on a Magna-matic.

Kleinstagecomp
08-11-2004, 01:46 PM
I only have a few blades to sharpen (6) so I just use a crappy little Black and Decker rotary tool with a small grinding wheel. It does a great job. The blade never gets hot, but I am able to get it shrap enough that I had to get 6 stitches a month ago after my wrench slipped off the bolt and my thumb ran down the blade. The blade went all the way down to the bone. Pretty stupid, I know. I've learned to be more careful and cover the sharp edge with an old rubber hose split down the middle, while putting the blades back on.

txlawnking
08-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Burn, I saw pictures of your setup, but none of the thing as a whole. I really liked it, do you have a pic of the whole thing, or dimensions of the materials used? Thanks