PDA

View Full Version : Priceing Lawn Maintenance

A&M Landscaping
08-09-2004, 09:26 PM
How do you guys price out your lawn cutting? Do you charge by hour or by yard size? What is the norm for hourly labor and acre? Don't want to under charge and make it look like everybody is overpriced thanks everybody.

MudslinginFX4
08-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Any residential yard I start with my minimum $35 and then eyeball it and go from there. I have made mistakes in the past with prices but I have gotten pretty good with it now. I don't think I have any yards anymore underpriced.

Pecker
08-09-2004, 11:41 PM
By the hour or by the yard size? Neither. . .by the minute.

If you have the perfect setup (IMO, a 60" ZTR and a 32" hydro WB, as well as commercial 2-strokes) and knew how to use it, you would probably be safe with $1 per minute (+/- a percentage depending on cost of living for your area). This is assuming you are solo.

Be sure to charge about 25-40% more if they only hire you for every other week, do encourage them to hire you for weekly service.

Skip the one-time visits (especially overgrown lots) or charge at least twice what you'd charge for a twice-a-month cut. One-timers are notorious for tearing up equipment by both wear and tear as well as hitting solid hidden objects.

This is how I do it at least. Hope it helps.

Also, ECM is right about starting with a minimum, although personally, my gate-drop price is $20. Remember, apply all this info to YOUR area, YOUR cost of living, and what YOUR market will bear.

PS. Your customers are not to know how much you charge by the hour. This is your personal information and its nobody's business but yours. Customers are only told your price to do the job. That's all they want to know anyhow.