PDA

View Full Version : Sending crew out for the first time.

wrestlingcoach
08-09-2004, 11:59 PM
My partner and I are both teachers and coaches. For the last 5-6 years, we both have been doing the work alone no employees at all. ... Well this year we have expanded and have been using 2 helpers ( both are going to college and need part time work) regularly for over 2 months. We have been running two crews: I have a guy and my partner has a guy, and we split the lawns up on the amount of time it should to take to do them. We have also rotated the guys between us from week to week and rotated the different lawns from week to week. So now each employee is familiar with every lawn and should know what to do at each lawn.

With school starting up in a week, my partner are now going to send them out together alone to mow the lawns. Frankly, we want to make money without doing all the work. Since we have young kids we need to be home more.

These guys are going to work 4 days a week for about 5-6 hours
each day. And they are going to school at night. The schedule is spread out for rain delays and other problems , so my partner and I can do the work if we need to after school. since there is Only 5 -6 hours after school until dark.

HERE"S the question: Is there any ideas we can do to make sure everything runs smoothly?????

examples:
1. make sure all mowers, company truck is full of gas and is filled up by us the owners.
2. extra trimmer spools are full of line and ready to go
3. the order of the route is spelled out
4. they have access to tools in case something breaks
5. list of all lawns with the correct mowing height

Anything Else???

GrassBustersLawn
08-10-2004, 12:01 AM
HERE"S the question: Is there any ideas we can do to make sure everything runs smoothly?????

Yes, CROSS YOUR FINGERS & PRAY!!!

Good Luck,

Mike

EastProLawn
08-10-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by GrassBustersLawn

Good Luck,

Mike Boy, you read my mind. LOL

Mikes Lawn Landscape
08-10-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by GrassBustersLawn

Good Luck,

Mike

Make sure your insurance is paid up :D

SpudsM15
08-10-2004, 01:00 AM
Umm, college kids, I happen to be one, and i work with a bunch at my part time job, and unless they are getting paid good, they could care less. Just watch them like hawks and keep them as happy as u possibly can and u'll have good workers. BUt watch them!!!!

HOOLIE
08-10-2004, 01:04 AM
Maybe a number they can reach you at during the day...for whatever reason...

wrestlingcoach
08-10-2004, 01:05 AM
One guy - I coached him in junior high - Great kid, 22, works his butt off also a high school State runner-up at 125 when he was a senior

the other guy is 35, My partner and I have known him since we wrestled together in junior high.. he is making a career change to go to college. This guy was also in my wedding.

wrestlingcoach
08-10-2004, 01:08 AM
I need efficiency ideas.

The two guys are very trustworthy.. ... I have guys that are using my stuff and saying to themselves : I don't want to mess up Earl's and Steve's machines!

HOOLIE
08-10-2004, 01:08 AM
If you trust them, and it sounds like you do, it might come in handy to give them a business credit card or petty cash for unforseen minor emergencies.

PaulJ
08-10-2004, 01:19 AM
YOu might want to think about whos in charge. is one of them a leader? this might help things run smoother if one of the guys takes charge a little to make sure they keep up the pace.

Groundcover Solutions
08-10-2004, 02:02 AM
I would also make sure one has a phone so you can contact them or they can contact you. Nextels work best for this application. If they have a co. card they can fill up at the end of the day or as needed so that should not be neccisary. Just get a list of what needs to be done for that day, and soon enfough they should be crankin it out. It is good that you have people you can trust, that is the first huge hurttel to not worrying all day about them. As long as they do a good job and keep on task they should be able to speed things up. Also ask for there input as to what would help them move faster as time goes on. Just my 2 cents

wrestlingcoach
08-10-2004, 12:07 PM
thanks

one has a cell phone and I have a phone in my room

they are going to start the day at my house to get the rig and any changes or questions can be made

economiclawncare
08-10-2004, 12:37 PM
let us know how it goes.

wrestlingcoach
08-10-2004, 08:35 PM
We are going to try a dry run next week while we are still out of school.

wrestlingcoach
08-13-2004, 08:45 PM
we surprised then today by sending them out for the first time.

Did a run today. My two guys went out together for the first time.
Everything seemed to go well, All things went smoothed for them.
But for my partner & I it didn't start off smooth forgot to get an eyelet for the trimmer, had to go to their first stop to get it.
My partner forgot we needed an edger blade and the bagger so we had to hunt down the other crew to get the stuff out of the truck. We had the our crew prepared but we weren't.

Fingers were crossed and things went well