PDA

View Full Version : prepare for hurricane?

ofishil
08-10-2004, 08:06 AM
do any of you guys offer services for hurricane preparedness? Like boarding up windows and such. It would seem to me that since we already have our foot in the door it would be easy to sell some stuff to them. Maybe this could help out on slow times. Well if you do what do you do and how much do you usually charge?

Moe Fish
08-10-2004, 08:21 AM
So let's say you sale them this service and some of your stuff fails to hold up. Do you pay for the loss of the house?
The most overlooked thing is all the crap laying in the yard...chairs, kids toys ect and even if you pick up everything that could blow and cause damage what about the guys stuff from down the road?

DennisF
08-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Clean-up after Hurricanes is big business. But I wouldn't do preparation work for hurricanes. Too many liability problems could come up and put you in deep sh/t.

broken leg
08-10-2004, 09:09 PM
I make big money after hurricanes. Love to grind those stumps and clean up brush. If it's a big one and comes in here hard will have plenty of work till summer mowing starts back up.

GeeVee
08-10-2004, 09:18 PM
I have enough to do with my own home and shop and other property.

I'd rather not have any fingers pointed at me either.

Not to say I haven't done it. But it was for free and she had no one else.

ofishil
08-10-2004, 10:03 PM
i just talked to a guy and he said that new homes in my area have got to be supplied with plywood that is precut for the windows. Do you guys think just precutting plywood for windows is a risk. Not actually installing it. You could make a couple of bucks of each board and money off of cutting each board.

Oldtimer
08-11-2004, 07:25 AM
The best thing to do to prepare for a hurricane is to get your own stuff ready.

Fill all fuel containers
Stock up on 2 cycle oil
Fill and check all vehicles
Check out your generator
Fill all coolers and ice chests
buy several gallons of drinking water
Service chain saws and sharpen chains
Stock up on extra chains
Stock up on bar oil
Dig out the chain saw safety gear
Find all your chains and heavy ropes
Set up accounts with 2 or 3 rent-a-drunk companies
Fill butane grill tanks or but some charcoal
Locate temporary debris dump sites
Throw your lawn furniture in the swimming pool
Stock up on canned stuff you can eat on the run.

After the storm, get several extra people and take care of all your accounts ASAP then look for extra work. Tell the temp labor company that you would like to get people with tree trimming experience if possible. You should take care of all your accounts first and bill them for the extra work. If you don't take care of your accounts first someone else will do it for you.

Take a couple dozen donuts to the temp labor management every time you use their people. You will almost always get better workers.

Start working after the worst of the storm is over. You should eyeball all your accounts to decide what to take to each job. You can begin work while the wind is still blowing and the rain is falling because all the damage will already be done.

Be extremely careful with trees blown against other trees and against buildings. They are an accident waiting to happen.

Been there, done that & bought the T-Shirt!

Oldtimer
Pensacola, Florida

Ol'time Lawncare
08-11-2004, 08:37 PM
i'm there right after the storm. we have 30 lawns so i can get around pretty fast... waitin right now for this storm come are way this week end!

Avery
08-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Used to work for a town. We had to board up the pubic building and be on call 24/7 to remove downed trees. Good money but I do not miss it. They have their own public works now. If you can call it that.....:)

txlawnking
08-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Oldtimer summed it up... A guy who owned a tree service I used to work for, said back in the 80's ( I can't remeber which storm he said it was.. ) He took two trucks and 4 guys down to Fl. after a big storm.. And made $16k clear in 5 days of work....I'm eyeing some saws already.....

broken leg
08-12-2004, 09:20 PM
I use to work for Pike elc. and miss going on storm. Could not ever go back to it because I can not climb because of leg. Still keep in touch with my friend s whow do.

Oldtimer
08-12-2004, 09:44 PM
I know of 3 guys who grossed $34000.00 in a day and a half with one truck, one trailer and an articulated skid steer.

Oldtimer