PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of Bermuda

BoHog1634
08-10-2004, 08:09 AM
I am wondering if I could get some advice on how to get rid of Bermuda that I have in my tall fescue lawn. I am assuming that now would be the best time to use two or three apps of glyphosphate, and then dig it out, and over-seed.

Are there any other suggestions you have, or anything out there other than glyphosphate that could be used so I could salvage the fescue that I want to keep? Any other process that would be more successful than the one I described above?

As always, your advice is Greatly appreciated....Thanks!!

BoHog

GREENITUP
08-10-2004, 08:18 AM
HOW MUCH OF THE FESCUE IS MIXED WITH THE BERMUDA? %OF TOTAL LAWN? I HAVE NEVER HAD MUCH LUCK SELECTIVELY KILLING BERMUDA - WOULD THE OWNER OBJECT TO ROUNDING UP THE AREA(S) AND AERATING/OVERSEEDING AT A HEAVY RATE IN SAY, MID-LATE SEPTEMBER? IF YOU USE ROUND-UP - MAKE SURE YOU GO OUT AT LEAST 2 FEET PAST THE VISIBLE EDGES ON THE FESCUE LINE - THOSE ROOTS RUN OUT A WAYS AND YOU WILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM NEXT YEAR IF YOU DON'T GET IT ALL. GOOD LUCK.

BoHog1634
08-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Greenitup,
The bermuda is spotty, and the spots are currently concentrated in one area of the lawn, thank God. But it seems like every day when I look at that lawn, the spots get bigger, or there is another one or two starting. Iwould say total % of entire lawn, maybe 5-10% Bermuda. Not bad, but want to take care of it ASAP before it gets worse.

This is actually my own lawn, and I am basically using my lawn as my experimental laboratory before I get into the business (very part-time) next year. I am not against anything as long as I know it will work, but I would like to do as little damage as possible to the existing fescue.

Thanks for your help!
BoHog

GREENITUP
08-10-2004, 11:07 AM
IF IT'S YOUR LAWN - I'D SAY ROUND UP PRO IS YOUR BEST BET. EVEN THOUGH YOU WANT AS LITTLE DAMAGE AS POSSIBLE - BERMUDA IS TOUGH STUFF AND SELECTIVE HERBS JUST DON'T DO THE JOB THE FIRST TIME AROUND ON IT. IT WILL TAKE AT LEAST 2 APPS. BEFORE IT IS GONE...SO ADD UP THE COST OF THE EXTRA TREATMENT(S)...AND THEN, DID YOU GET ALL OF THE ROOTS ??? YOU'LL FIND OUT NEXT YEAR OR ACTUALLY, THIS WINTER WHEN IT GOES DORMANT. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME - PLUG, SEED, AND FERT THE DEAD AREAS...YOU WILL BE GREEN AGAIN IN 5-6 WEEKS.

timturf
08-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Use ornamec, two applications, and if spot spraying , add roundup also
common bermunda tough to kill, I tried on bent grass green, brushing the plant and runners. look dead, but would grteen up again! Fumigation was the answer!

timturf
08-10-2004, 02:19 PM
ornamec is fusilade, see thread 'what kills grass faster than glyphosate" in fert and pest. read ric post

Ric
08-10-2004, 10:03 PM
Greenitup

All caps is concidered yelling and bad manners on a forum. Welcome to lawnsite but please don't post in all caps.

Tim

Yep best way to rid Fescue of Bermuda. Now if I could only get it out of St Augustine.

BoHog1634
08-11-2004, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the advice!!

Timturf,
How long between applications, and do I need to go out 2 feet beyond the Bermuda like Greenitup advises, or can I just hit the immediate area of bermuda with maybe a little overlap into the fescue? 2 feet seems like overkill, but if it is necessary, it's necessary.
Is fusilade something that is available at a Home Depot or only at a Lesco dealer?

Again, thanks for the advice!!!!

BoHog

timturf
08-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Doubt home depot carries! read and follow label directions! It's a fall or green up treatment, takes more than one application usually! Want to get plant and all runners! can spot treat

Bryn
08-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Hi BoHog,

This is not a perfect solution, and works out to be about $6/1000 sq feet at max rate , and requires about two years of application. Try using Acclaim and Turflon. Both bottles in pint form will set you back about $100, both from Lesco.

I have used this on drought stressed fescue lawn with good results, and very little Phytotoxicity. Do a search on google for these two chemicals. Turflon has about a 23day reseeding delay, so don't forget to read the label. Acclaim only suppresses Common Bermuda.

Best Regards

Bryn