PDA

View Full Version : Shredded dyed rubber insted of woodchips

Liberty Lawncare
08-10-2004, 09:42 AM
I have seen shredded rubber dyed brown or red. This is supposed to be better than wood mulch? Has anyone used it ?:confused:

txlawnking
08-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Liberty, I've never seen that, but it soulds like an awesome idea, as the apperrance wouldn't change, I suppose, plus, unlike the normal mulch, It wouldn't decompose..

smlavin
08-10-2004, 10:05 AM
The idea SOUNDS great, and it looks very nice, BUT I wouldn't want to have to pick sticks and leaves out of the stuff or have to deal with it getting into the lawn where I would have to pick it up or try to shread it. I haven't actually had experience with it - these are just my fears.

dwost
08-10-2004, 10:13 AM
We were going to use this stuff for under our kid's play set. It is an alternative to woodchips, mulch, etc... but the cost was out of this world. I can see it being used for this type of application, however, smlavin has a solid point on maintainance. Not to mention one of the benefits of mulch is decomposition which you would be eliminating. Also, if you try to "till" the soil at any point you are incorporating that into the soil which will provide no value and may actually hurt the soil. I'd stick with the natural approach.

WoodBrothersLC
08-10-2004, 10:27 AM
where we live the city uses it in the playgrounds

chevyman1
08-10-2004, 10:31 AM
we use shredded rubber under a solid mat as bedding for our cows in our 1,000 cow freestall facility

Ursushorribilus
08-10-2004, 11:56 AM
1000 cows chevyman? Wow, that's alot of shoveling! :) What's a freestall facility?

chevyman1
08-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Yeah, our family farm has over 1,200 head, milking roughly 1,000 3x a day. don't have to shovel this facility. all graded with mechanical arms and hosed down by machines...a freestall facility is a barn that has numerous stall and common areas the cows are allowed to roam around in...ours is 1,000 ft long by 200 ft wide

SouthernFried
08-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Sounds like a great idea for cows and kids. Sounds like an awful idea for beds and plants tho.

tiedeman
08-10-2004, 05:44 PM
the rubber is not good at all. The research that I have heard is that the rubber gets too hot, and doesn't allow moisture in. It's not recommended for landscape beds

Groundcover Solutions
08-10-2004, 05:53 PM
the price on the rubber material is typicaly extreamly steap. I was mulching a hose a few weeks ago and the naighbor had black rubber mulch in there kids play area. Alot of it was coming over the edges and seemed like a hassel to clean up. I would stick withe the playground material that you can get from your wholesale mulch supplier. Much cheaper and still provides the cushuon that you need under a play set. The good supliers usualy have the material cetified to be used in playgournds. This is all we put in playgournds in our area.

Liberty Lawncare
08-11-2004, 12:34 AM
The cost is way up thare. The supplyer I spoke to today said $200 a yard. Playground is the only possable use.