PDA

View Full Version : Anyone mowing Rest Areas?

billyebrown
08-10-2004, 10:32 AM
There is a large Rest Area (on Interstate) about 20 minutes from me. I have never noticed who does the mowing/maintenance. Does anyone here have any experience with Rest Areas? Are the bid out and are they worth the effort if so or do state road crews usually handle them?

txlawnking
08-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Billy, usually the state does this. I'm not sure about KY, but here in TX, at least locally, the state contracts out the rightaways to companies, But I'm pretty sure the rest stops are done by the state. The reason I say this is, I have seen state employee's cutting someof the nicer rest stops along I-10, But again, I'm not sure about all of them... I'd call the State and see if it's contracted.

sildoc
08-10-2004, 01:25 PM
I have seen anywhere from the state having a crew that mows and cleans, to the people with community service doing it. I have also seen juvinile punks that are being corrected doing it. All right of ways are contracted out except for a couple of cities that have there own crew.

KCON1
08-11-2004, 10:44 PM
here in Nc the state contracts these babies out to individual firms like ours, but the contracts also include the janitorial upkeep of the rest area on most of the bids i've seen lately. they are real good contracts to get here in NC

satch
08-12-2004, 12:04 AM
In Tennessee there is usually an on site maint. person that does the lawn,plus other duties.

tiedeman
08-12-2004, 06:12 AM
here Michigan, the Department of Transportation usually awards them to the road commission in the county in which they reside in. From what I hear, the state pays out pretty good too

CamLand
08-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Sorry i stay out of Pickle Parks...