PDA

View Full Version : how do you get rid of carpet grass?

C.T. Lawn Care
08-10-2004, 03:07 PM
well does anyone know? i mean i have heard baking soda and water does it but thats a lot of baking soda

SouthernFried
08-10-2004, 03:39 PM
I assume you mean St Augustine Grass, which is commonly referred to as "carpet" grass.

It is a broadleaf grass, and any broadleaf specific weed killer will take care of it and leave the thin leaf grasses like bermuda alone.

C.T. Lawn Care
08-10-2004, 04:34 PM
well i have put down braodleaf weed and feeds and they havent done anything to it... here is a pic..

SouthernFried
08-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Weed n feeds do neither well. Don't use them.

One thing. If the St Augustine is doing well there...let it. If the bermuda is doing well...let it.

There is a reason the St Augustine is doing well. Shady area, lotsa water, etc...St Augustine will do better than the Bermuda. If the St Augustine is taking over...there is a reason for it, and you might want to think about keeping it there. It's a popular grass here, and much preferred over others.

If you really wanna get rid of it...get a broadleaf specific herbicide and apply it according to directions.

Don't ever use weed n feeds again. If it needs fertilizer, use a good fertilizer. If it needs an herbicide, use a good herbicide. Most weed n feeds use granular "pre-emergent" herbicides. A specific broadleaf "post emergent" herbicide is usually liquid, and is absorbed through the leaves of broad leaf plants.

And there is nothing wrong with a "combination" lawn. Most lawns here are a combination of Bermuda and St Augustine.

SouthernFried
08-10-2004, 04:54 PM
I just realized there are a lot of hose end "nozzle" liquid weed-n-feed fertilizers out there. But the lack of effectiveness of weed-n-feeds still holds. Don't use them.

tiedeman
08-10-2004, 05:40 PM
I usually try to vaccum carpet grass.

sorry I couldn't resist