PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having this problem?

Equipguy
08-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Running a 23 Kaw on a 52 Hustler with appx 275 hrs. After about 30 min of cutting the engine starts to shut down. Just like someone is shutting off the fuel. Turn off the clutch and it runs right back. Let it cool down for a few minutes an it works. Then same thing happens again. Dealer says nothing wrong? Cant find any problems. Looking for ideas.

tiedeman
08-10-2004, 05:48 PM
maybe check the fuel filter, air filter, and carb area.

locutus
08-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Dont you just love it when a dealer says " there's nothing wrong with it " when you know damned well that something IS wrong?

A long time ago, I had a hydro that wouldn't pull a sick prostitute off of a toilet. The mower wouldn't even go up the slightest hill. The dealer told me that he "couldn't find anything wrong with it". After a short conversation with the area Rep, he was miraculously able to locate the problem. Bad pumps that he didn't want to replace.

Evergreenlawns
08-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Your mower may be vapor locking. On really hot days the fuel inside of your mowers tank can flash off which increases the pressure in the system beyond what your mower can handle. Try purchasing a vented cap for the mower and see if this alleviates the problem.

If this doesn't help, I would have the compression on the mower checked. It is possible that upon heating up, the mowers rings aren't holding compression properly which can cause lack of power when a bind is put on the mower.

LawnScapers of Dayton
08-10-2004, 07:20 PM
THis is just a guess......but check the plugs for fouling.....

Derek

Frosty_03
08-10-2004, 08:27 PM
I was having the same trouble with one of my exmark and came to find out it was the mercury leveling switch. I by-pass it with a jumper and the mower worked find. replaced the switch and had no more problem. I don't know if your mower has the same switch.

dvmcmrhp52
08-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
maybe check the fuel filter, air filter, and carb area.

It does sound like a fuel issue.................

odin
08-10-2004, 08:37 PM
Check ,Most of the things mentioned and also check and see if the cooling fins are all clogged up...could be overheating

Runner
08-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Expert was having this same trouble just a few weeks ago. He had it looked at, and the guy looking at it ran it for quite awhile with no result, and even took it out in the field to try to get it to do it, but to no avail, he couldn't get it to do it. He may have found the problem by now, and chime in on here.

txlawnking
08-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by dmontgomery
THis is just a guess......but check the plugs for fouling.....

Derek

..............From a plugged air filter maybe??

kickin sum grass
08-10-2004, 10:32 PM
I have had two similar problems and they were both electrical. One was on a twin briggs. Once hot and under load it would spit and loose power. Shut the blades off and it was ok. It turned out that one of the coils were bad and could not keep up under load which was making the other coil work even harder.
The other was a 1 cylinder kaw 14 hp. It would heat up and die. After cool down it would run again until hot. It was a module on the side of the motor that ran a wire up to the coil. replaced it almost 9 years ago and it is still running like new.

clay duncan
08-10-2004, 10:57 PM
we just had a similar problem with our exmark turf tracer. after 6 trips to the dealer and replacing fuel pump, plugs, filter, adjusting this and that it turned out to be the opreator saftey switch. we also thought that it was starving for fuel. it would run fine for awhile and then spit and sputter and try to die.

lawnjockey51
08-10-2004, 11:46 PM
I had the same problem with a car once, ... ended up replacing the old, worn out dealer.

Shuter
08-10-2004, 11:54 PM
May be water in the bowl on the carb. Run the gas out, add new gas and a can of dry gas. Also take the bowl off to drain any water that may be in there.

skmodmsl
08-11-2004, 12:07 AM
Sounds to me like an electrical problem. Ever have a bad ignition wire on an engine ? Misfire under load. Drop down a gear and all is well. Disengaing the blades acts as if shifting down a gear on a truck. The load is lessened. Give me points any day.

greasy_gun
08-11-2004, 12:09 AM
wonder if its vapor locking due to the new gas caps hustler is using??

tiedeman
08-11-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by lawnjockey51
I had the same problem with a car once, ... ended up replacing the old, worn out dealer.

LMAO!!!

WoodBrothersLC
08-11-2004, 02:11 AM
Our air filter on our Encore was clogged and was doing the same thing. Check that.

scott's turf
08-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Frosty_03
I was having the same trouble with one of my exmark and came to find out it was the mercury leveling switch. I by-pass it with a jumper and the mower worked find. replaced the switch and had no more problem. I don't know if your mower has the same switch.

I had the same problem with my 23 kaw exmark. The mercury switch is temporarily bypassed untill the new one arives.

ACE
08-11-2004, 09:07 AM
I feel for you, its hard to find problems that act up some times. I had something close to this on an older Toro Z622. It turned out to be a pinched air hose from putting the cover back on over the filter. Shop could not find any thing wrong. Mechanic from an Onan generator place found the problem.