PDA

View Full Version : Got an insult today (Landscaping = 0 intelligence)

Canadian GreenScape
08-10-2004, 06:01 PM
I was mowing at this older ladies property today when she came out to ask me to do some extra work. Anyway the conversation came around to my business degree which I just have a few credits to finish up. When I told her I was going to stick with my Landscaping business she informed me that I really should try to find a job that takes some intelligence :angry: I could have told her Im making easily twice as much as I would be with my degree (with less stress) or that I hate working inside and for someone else but oh well.. some people will never understand.

jbell113
08-10-2004, 06:04 PM
Most of these people we mow for think we r just a bunch of monkeys with no intelligence. You r right they will never understand that we do what we enjoy

grassyfras
08-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Some people just always sterotype. I always get mad when someone says something like that, but then just take it and think of $$$

dvmcmrhp52
08-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Let's see................
Just ask her when the last time was that her "INTELLIGENCE" made her $75/hr.
That ought to just about end the conversation.

NoWalk4Me
08-10-2004, 06:44 PM
What....you mean it takes intelligence to run a business? Nope, I guess employees, insurance, equipment, turf, shrubs, customers, fungi........and on an on could be managed by anybody. Hey I've got a monkey that can do that!!!! Actually, I did see a gorilla on TV just yesterday that has done sign language for many years....maybe he can run a Z. In all seriousness running any business takes some degree of "smarts". Crazy people!

Geoffrey
08-10-2004, 06:53 PM
Best solution, Laugh at them to yourself all the way to the bank. My mom used to tell me you can't argue with fools!

Cod
08-10-2004, 07:08 PM
When people try to insult my intelligence because I work for a landscaping company, I simply laugh and move on with my life. Because those people that insult our intelligence, are usually the people that are stuck in a cubicle for 9-hours a day looking at the same things every day. As landscapers, we get a change of scenery and we aren't stuck in a 8x10 office all day.

tiedeman
08-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Cod
When people try to insult my intelligence because I work for a landscaping company, I simply laugh and move on with my life. If you like what you do, continue to do it. Don't let the perceptions of others bring you down.

exactly. Welcome to the site by the way

Cod
08-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
exactly. Welcome to the site by the way
Oh, thank you. Just found it today actually. I edited my post while you were posting just so you know...

twindiddy
08-10-2004, 08:47 PM
"... and we aren't stuck in a 8x10 office all day."

we call it a cell.

Ability
08-10-2004, 08:52 PM
The beautiful thing about landscaping is that the average joe has no clue as to what kind of money can be made doing it. Most people think that people with low intelligence and a low paycheck to match work in lawn care. I personally like to keep that myth going and the truth to how much I make a secret.

So when someone treats me like I am lower class or not living up to my earning potential, I just smile and laugh all the way to the bank.

GeeVee
08-10-2004, 09:34 PM
I was just dropping off my signed return to my sister one year, and was passing a client on her way out.

"Do you do the lawn here?"

No, I have my filings done by Valerie...... I'm just dropping off, I'm in the quarterly estimated bracket......

[a short laugh]

"Really? Why?"

Have a look for yourself.

She stopped looking down her nose at me right then.

Eric 1
08-10-2004, 10:09 PM
I get that all the time.

People ask "what are you gong to do when you graduate"

me "go full time in landscaping/lawn care"

they just laugh are say vary sarcastically "really"

I am like "yep".

If they only knew.....................

You can't let it bother you.

rockhouse
08-10-2004, 10:32 PM
consider this: Most clients believe that you are doing a job that any 12 year old neighbor kid would do to make a little spending money.
The problem with their thinking is that while the neighbor kid may mow a couple of "yards" a week we are out there mowing 20, 40, or 100 "lawns" a week. They don't see the numbers. Just theirs.

I have had a problem with clients thinking I am dirt poor. They have offered me old mattresses & other castoffs. I don't tell them that my house is worth about twice as much as theirs, or that I vacation in Europe most every fall.

I always wave at the other LS trucks as they go by. -- It's our little secret.

Kelly's Landscaping
08-10-2004, 10:34 PM
I think this is why many of us like to get the biggest baddest mower, truck, trailer, what ever it is we buy just to say hey look what you can't afford with that collage degree of yours. When I get big enough and build the shop/house that I want I think I may do an annual cook out or pick nick for my accounts. As a way of saying welcome to my home yes its better then yours even though I mow your grass now go home and rethink everything you thought you knew.

skmodmsl
08-10-2004, 10:58 PM
It's kind of funny how we are viewed. I personally view men who go to work in a suit and tie as women.

benb0808
08-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Yo Canadian Greenscape!

We're in the same boat. I have 2 classes left to get my Bachelor's in Business Administration. People say, "have you interviewed with any companies", "What Co. do you want to work for " and so on.... I tell them I plan to continue what I'm doing....Most of them look at me like I'm crazy! They can think what they want. I'm not workin for anyone but myself!!! I've managed to make the average first year salary(college grad.) in my first year of business(sorry 7 months, not even a year) with 2 21" crapsmans. Just bought my first hydro, the Quick 36" Woo Hoo!!. Life just got a bit easier! Focus on your own race, be aware of your competition, work hard, and you should be alright.

Ben Baumgart
B2 Lawn Co.

ADLAWNCUTTERS
08-11-2004, 04:26 AM
Sorry guys she is right in a way, you are so close to getting a degree you should get it.it never hurts to have something else to fall back on. even if you are making a lot of money now ,you could god forbid lose your health or just get tired with it 20 years from now.

coolgreen
08-11-2004, 07:55 AM
Thats' funny, I had the same thing happen to me when I informed a customer I had a diploma and five years experience as a reporter/photographer at many newspapers, and writer of online content for a major Canadian sports website.

Her reply: "Oh, you're educated."

She has treated me differently ever since.

Go figure.

GarPA
08-11-2004, 08:15 AM
I also let those comments roll off my back...but, the more we all to do improve the public's perception of us, the better for all of us. Of course there will always be those who mow with shirts off, filthy equipment, and look like they sleep under a bridge at nite.

Their "perceptions" is one of the major reasons we send out quarterly newsletters about landscape and turf issues and maintenance. I have gotten many comments from these newsletters...mostly like ..."boy, you really know allot about landscape issues"....I say thank you and tell them that in order to provide a professional level of service, we spend much time every year with green industry education. At that point they get a confused look on their face like "I thought this guy just sat on a mower all day".....not

geogunn
08-11-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by skmodmsl
It's kind of funny how we are viewed. I personally view men who go to work in a suit and tie as women.

no dude! you are the one with a funny way of viewing things!!! ;) ;)

GEO :rolleyes:

Ursushorribilus
08-11-2004, 08:42 AM
It seems that there is a societal disdain towards those of us who "sweat" for a living, irregardless of how successful or happy a person is - almost as if a businessman who actually sweats at his or her vocation is not worthy of the respect given those who choose the sedentary path in an office. Interestingly enough, I see many of these "office slugs" at the gym trying to work off mountains of accumulated blubber or build muscle on their pathetically weak frames, while looking longingly at the rock hard physiques of the very same working men and women they look down their noses at - many of whom make twice the money they do in their offices. Life is funny, and you have to laugh...Tony