PDA

View Full Version : Wasnt using my head today

James Cormier
08-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Nice hot day today, doing a good production day and I was at my last lawn for the afternoon.

I got off my PG to put the slip in the door, usually I put the machine in N, or shut it off, this time I just shifted it into low, and jumped off, 99% of the time it doesn't move in low gear at idle....well I'm sure you all know what happened next:o

As I put the slip on the door nob, I turned to see my PG bouncing off a trampoline and heading right toward a small garden, on the other side of the garden was a drop off, about 60 feet down at least 45* banking was a swamp.

Over she went, And I was about 3 feet too late to save her.

Luckily there was a one tree down about 25 feet and the machine smacked right into the tree and stopped....my momentum from running after the machine caused me to go right over the edge and down the banking.....you guessed it....right past the tree
( even I'm laughing about it now and it was only a few hours ago ) Lucky for me I didn't need to smack into a tree to stop me from swimming with the leaches.

Unbelievable to me the machine was still running and the wheels where spinning. I climbed up the banking , tried to drive it up in R, but no go. Brushed myself off, went to explain to the customer what happened.

Thank god I have a good friend with a bobcat and had to have him come to winch it out. Thankfully nothing broke, just a big dent right in the middle of the hopper, it didn't even spill anything, I hoped right back on and finished the lawn.

Boy was I lucky

Pilgrims' Pride
08-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Ya Jim that was lucky!

TSM
08-10-2004, 08:00 PM
I can picture it in my head
:eek: :D

One day I'll tell my PG story...but not today...gonna giggle over your story for a while

Ah, life in the lawn care business...nothin like it, huh?:p

jajwrigh
08-10-2004, 09:56 PM
James C-

Glad to hear that all is well! The story was entertaining though!!

Envi-Lawn
08-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Jim,
Too bad the homeowner was home, kind of embarassing, otherwise no harm, no foul

Pilgrims' Pride
08-11-2004, 09:32 AM
I had one of those days btw.
Over a month ago now.
I was shifting from drive to nuetral on a gentle down hill slope.
The pg is a little hard to shift sometimes and I went past nuetral to reverse.
I went right over the top!
Got some nasty scratches and bruises.
Made quite an impression on the customer and her landscaper too!
The scaper laughed and said he's got millions of those stories to share over a cold one some day.
My customer didn't know what to think.
I was not a pretty sight in shorts for a while. I never was!

Since then me and the pg learned who is boss.
Actually, knock on wood, I'm having great luck with it lately.
Hope I'm not jinxed now!

grassguy_
08-11-2004, 11:17 PM
James,
LMAO, I'm not laughing at you just laughing with you. With your back James you better take it a little easier man. I've had the ride-ons do the same and creep a bit. This winter I'm going to install the park brake set up that is on my ultra on the rest of the centris. I've had them keep running on me too, where the centrifigal clutch wore out and wouldn't disengage at idle. Thats always fun, GEEEEE! Well hope you have a better day, glad you're able to laugh about it now.

James Cormier
08-12-2004, 03:38 PM
I knew that would get a chuckle out of some of you guys...

Bob, Ive done the same with shifting into N, but hitting R, but my big fat a$# kept me from going over but it sure was scary.

I cant wait to hear TSM, stories... or better yet I bet his employees have better ones that he doesn't even know about :eek:

Back when I had the mowing business I took all my employees swimming on a hot day, and I sat and listened to the horror stories they told while driving my trucks and using my equipment...oh my god I had to leave, I couldn't take it.

TSM
08-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by James Cormier

Back when I had the mowing business I took all my employees swimming on a hot day, and I sat and listened to the horror stories they told while driving my trucks and using my equipment...oh my god I had to leave, I couldn't take it.

LOL

know whats really funny (or maybe its just sad) is that my guys know my 'i dont give a crap' attitude (i really tried earlier this season to not show it but, well what can i say, i'm weak and get frustrated easily :D ) anyway they tell me all sorts of stuff. after we laugh over them i put on my stern face telling them i'm the only one allowed to screw up that badly.
One guy last week jumped off the PG to pick up some toys, the machine 'rolled', so i'm told, into the house breaking a cellar window. I paid for the glass replacement, the employee went on his own time to get the window bring it for repair then install it again. Then the Mrs Homeowner said she would have just thought it was one of her kids throwing a ball against the house.

Its the little things like this, and your story, that keep me going.

my story includes the PG, myself and one employee, my pick-up truck and traveling speeds of around 40 MPH, oh yeah, and the girl in the VW behind us....long story, all turned out okay :D

TOTALLAWN OF KY
08-16-2004, 08:37 AM
did the same thing only diffrent ,,was passing out door hangers and jumped out of my truck and through it in neutral not park looked back and truck was smoking down the road and hit a 300 dollar mailbox lol new paint and all very much a melvin thing todo

HayBay
08-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Glad everyones alright with their little accidents.

I myself just figured out that you have to let off on the speed controller for the HPS slowly, or you will keep going and the machine won't. Sore ribs.