PDA

View Full Version : cutting a football field

lawnguy
08-10-2004, 06:42 PM
just wondering what some of you guys think this is worth.
I have a football field to cut that is about 66,000 sq ft. and i have to cut it two times a week. what would you charge.

thanks

tiedeman
08-10-2004, 07:16 PM
schools are on a tight budget, so cheap. I know thats bad to say, but its true

Sooners
08-10-2004, 09:41 PM
I know a guy with a 60" ZTR that mows one in 22 minutes. I'd probably have to charge $35. What kind of mower do you have? And do you have to trim and blow? That would cost more. I normally like to get $40-$50/acre, but with a straight smooth field I could do it for less. I believe 66,000 sf is approx. 1.5 acres.

qualitylandscaping
08-10-2004, 09:42 PM
$35-40..mowing only

MudslinginFX4
08-10-2004, 09:44 PM
$$50-55 mowing only, but I'm sure there will be some trimming involved around bleachers, signs, etc..

chefdrp
08-10-2004, 09:56 PM
i would go about 45 each cut. 90 bucks aweek.

MOlawnman
08-10-2004, 10:29 PM
If it is a public school, then you MUST pay prevailing wage to your employees when they are on that account. It is Federal law. In come parts of the country, that could be very high. Most mower operators are considered equipment operators and therefore get a much higher wage. For instance, irrigation crew members, if they are installing pipe or fittings are considered sprinkler fitter or pipe fitters and get paid around $27 per hour here in Missouri.

The prevailing wage is just a way for employees to make an inflated wage rate.

These things should be considered when bidding on public projects where tax money is concerned.

I would think that $35 would be much too cheap and you will be in a losing proposition. I thik you are looking more like $75 to $90 per hour.

EastProLawn
08-10-2004, 10:55 PM
$65.00 per cut..............

MMLawn
08-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Keep in mind also that if it is a "nice" high school level field that most of those are now cut using reel mowers. If it is not an upper level HS field then a ZTR will work.

chevyman1
08-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Around here, I'd say $40 a cut....I mowed one with my Dixie in 16 minutes....pretty good money. At the fair, the 50HP Yanmar Diesel Dixie mowed the field in 8 minutes, 30 seconds....just sick

lawnguy
08-11-2004, 01:15 PM
thanks everyone for the replies, there is only alittle weed wacking and another thing I have to bag it also.

NNJLandman
08-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Id say $45 each cut

Turf Dancer
08-14-2004, 01:40 AM
MOlawnman

Mowing and Lawn Maintenance are do not fall under prevailing wage guidlines. This information was given to me by the Federal wage and hour division I talked to in Portland Oregon. According to them there are not any states that have laws stating that maintenance falls under prevailing wage guidlines. I checked this spring when I turned in bids in 2 states Washington and Oregon. I checked with the Feds and both states. Irrigation on the other hand is considered Landscaping according to the two people at the federal Wage and Hour division, even then there are loopholes. Example; Subsidized housing that is USDA and privately funded is exempt from paying prevailing wage to workers on the project. I worked on one for another contractor doing irrigation and thought the whole time I was getting prevailing wage because that is what everyone thought and then they said oh you guys are only getting $9.00 an hour so I walked.

MOlawnman
08-16-2004, 06:47 PM
Turf Dancer

Our local school district solicits bids every year for the lawn maintenance of their schools. Approximately 70 acres. They state that everyone must pay prevailing wage. I thank you for your information because the contractor that has had the bid for the last 5 years has had such a low price that there is no way they could be paying prevailing wage in my opinion.

SWD
08-16-2004, 07:26 PM
I get a flat rate of $40.00 per hour per laborer on athletic field turf maintenance.
There is no prevailing wage in Texas, as prevailing wage is associated with how that particular state is recognized, ie Commonweath, Republic, Sunshine, etc.
I have worked on municipal properties in prevailing wage states - you can have them.