PDA

View Full Version : muriatic acid as a weed killer

glllc
08-10-2004, 09:48 PM
i was reading a home remedies book and it said that you can use this acid as a weed killer, diluted 50% with water. has anyone ever heard of this or tried it? sounds like it would burn the plant right out, but what about the roots, would it grow right back?

Ric
08-10-2004, 09:54 PM
glllc

Nope the weed won't grow back. And the EPA inspector won't have any problem making you remove all the soil and send it to a disposal site.

Garden Panzer
08-10-2004, 09:55 PM
I haven't heard that one...
I do use it to remove iron stains from sidewalks.

woodycrest
08-10-2004, 10:11 PM
muriatic acid???..youre kidding right?

i know bricklayers use it to clean the bricks after the wall is done...rubber boots, face masks , rubber gloves...i bet it would kill weeds real good.
i would hate to have to haul the dirt away...sure would reduce the profit margin.

Ric
08-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by woodycrest
muriatic acid???..youre kidding right?

i know bricklayers use it to clean the bricks after the wall is done...rubber boots, face masks , rubber gloves...i bet it would kill weeds real good.
i would hate to have to haul the dirt away...sure would reduce the profit margin.

Woodycrest

Just send you an e-mail. I would hate to be Garden Panzer's customer after he etched my cement with Muriatic acid. It might be cheap, but there are a host of other acids that work better and safer.

PowerPlay
08-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Ric,

Could you please post what can be used to clean excess mortar off of paver joints without harming plants and soil? I have just used a pressure washer before but I wasn't very impressed. Muritic acid is what I have heard is used to clean brick joints, but I'm not using it.

Ric
08-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by PowerPlay
Ric,

Could you please post what can be used to clean excess mortar off of paver joints without harming plants and soil? I have just used a pressure washer before but I wasn't very impressed. Muritic acid is what I have heard is used to clean brick joints, but I'm not using it.

Powerplay

Sorry I am not a mason, 32nd or cement. However Rust Erase sold by Lesco does a great job of removing Iron & Mg stains from concrete. It will not etch cement or kill plants or grass.

Russ
08-13-2004, 08:48 PM
Rust Erase does a great job. Did ya ever try "Rid O' Rust'? It's 5 bucks a gallon or $4 per package and mixed 1/1 does as good a job as Rust Erase. If ya try it, dont tell em how much Lesco is gettin for the Rust Erase.