PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone over price on purpose?

MudslinginFX4
08-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Yeah... thatís right, does anyone over price on purpose? This year has been great for me, lots of new customers, lots of existing customers wanting "extras" done, and lots of calls from people wanting to get estimates for stuff to be done in the future. Right now I am booked through the first of September for more mulch, pinestraw, killing weeds, bed edging, etc... and then aerating starts up around the 2nd week of September which will go through the first of November for me. Not to mention, my weekly maintenance accounts. This being said, I am still having a lot of calls come in for odd jobs, so I said what the heck, I'll go look at them, overprice them and see what happens. Well, overpricing them still isn't keeping people from wanting us to do the work, I just don't get it. Just last week I did a job for a guy removing some ivy, tilling up some soil, and preparing the area to grow grass in the fall, $400 in 2 hours, no material costs (all labor). How many other people overprice things because they really don't need the work but then do it anyway (work overtime) because you will be making a lot of money?

txlawnking
08-10-2004, 11:02 PM
I sure wish I had your problem. Thank God your busy, not all of us are.....

Pecker
08-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Only if I'm bidding on a property that I don't want.

qualitylandscaping
08-10-2004, 11:10 PM
I overprice everything... $1400 trimming job took 4 hours and two dump runs..

Nothing like easy money, especially when the homeowner doesn't have the patience to do it (trimming and removals are the most common)..

EastProLawn
08-10-2004, 11:12 PM
I usually overprice when I really feel that I don't wnat to do work for this particular person or when I'm extremmely busy, you have to make it woth your while....

olderthandirt
08-10-2004, 11:13 PM
I always overprice. When someone calls and I give an estimate I tell them up front I'll probably be the most expensive and you get what you pay for. Its amazing how many people will pay top $$$ so they can tell there neighbors that they out spent them.

Mac

EastProLawn
08-10-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by olderthandirt
Its amazing how many people will pay top $$$ so they can tell there neighbors that they out spent them.

Mac So true, so true:D :D :D

tiedeman
08-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by EastProLawn
I usually overprice when I really feel that I don't wnat to do work for this particular person or when I'm extremmely busy, you have to make it woth your while....

yup, exactly. That is what I do as well.

ScCo
08-11-2004, 12:06 AM
i'm working 12-14 hours per day six days per week to keep up with what I already have, so I've been overpricing every new call I get. And most of them are signing on...

Lbilawncare
08-11-2004, 12:19 AM
Overpricing is a great way to deter someone you really don't want to work for (unless the price is right) You can always tell when someone is price shopping and someone is serious.

geogunn
08-11-2004, 12:22 AM
I never over price "MY PEOPLE".

they are the people that will only let me do their work.

it is like the: "dance with them that brung you thing"! :D

otherwise...watch your wallet!

GEO :D

Rich's Lawn Care
08-11-2004, 12:23 AM
I do for fall clean ups

NC Scaper
08-11-2004, 12:24 AM
I am always throwing a big price out there and I am still amazed at the takers

olderthandirt
08-11-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by geogunn
I never over price "MY PEOPLE".

they are the people that will only let me do their work.

it is like the: "dance with them that brung you thing"! :D

otherwise...watch your wallet!

Please define "your people" and do you over price others untill they become your dancing partners? Or you just a cheap ol andy of Mayberry sorry Rocky Top :D

Mac

Fantasy Lawns
08-11-2004, 12:39 AM
only those I really don't want .... or if I can sense a PITA

NNJLandman
08-11-2004, 12:42 AM
Yea I do it, I look at a job n say this one is gonna suck....yea its gonna be 1600....hrmm ok....wait you want the work done.....yes....well ok. heh happens every once n a while on this end.

Jeff

Shadetree Ltd
08-11-2004, 02:11 AM
Congrats on the business. I believe that if I only had two days a week of work, then I would be overpriced, if I have seven days a week of work, then I am underpriced. I don't like to think that I intentionally overprice but I do hope that I am never the lowest and one of the highest.

Scott

broken leg
08-11-2004, 05:20 AM
Do people ever call and confuse you with EPM lane care there are owned by True Green. The name sounds so close.

geogunn
08-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by olderthandirt
Please define "your people" ....

Mac

ahhhh MAC--I did define...who "my people" are....

they are the people that would tather wait 'tillI can do the work than pay someone else!

in many cases they are commercial customers in the service industry...very loyal, indeed!

that mayberry thing happened on the other side of the mountain....

MudslinginFX4
08-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by broken leg
Do people ever call and confuse you with EPM lane care there are owned by True Green. The name sounds so close.

Nope, never really have any problems. I have had people say the names are very close though (which they are). I have also thought about changing my business name but don't really see the point when I'm not really looking for new customers and everyone knows me by ECM. I dunno, maybe one day.