PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this plant?

DFW Area Landscaper
08-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Anyone know what this is? I'm talking about the grassy looking plant center front of the picture. It produces a yellow/orange flower.

Thanks,
DFW Area Landscaper

z_clark
08-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Day Lilly. Probably "Stella de Oro" variety.

o-so-n-so
08-11-2004, 12:16 AM
What z_clark said.......

tiedeman
08-11-2004, 12:19 AM
yup, looks like a lily.

dvmcmrhp52
08-11-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by z_clark
Day Lilly. Probably "Stella de Oro" variety.

Yup.

ElephantNest
08-11-2004, 12:41 AM
Or Happy Returns

blackberry
08-11-2004, 12:51 AM
That would indeed be a "day lilly"!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan Lightning
08-11-2004, 01:02 AM
Seems like there used in almost every new landscape around here.

DFW Area Landscaper
08-11-2004, 01:06 AM
++++Seems like there used in almost every new landscape around here++++

Can't imagine why. Ugly as heck and hard to spray weeds around without getting glyphosphate on the day lilly. I hate 'em.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

JimLewis
08-11-2004, 04:22 AM
Yah, definitely a daylilly.

I would be surprised to find out that it was the 'Stella D'oro' variety though. Because the nice thing about the Stella D's is that they bloom pretty much continuously from spring to fall. And I see no blooms there currently. Not one bloom on all of those daylillies. That isn't like Stellas.

Anyway, as to why they are used - well, first of all, they are very inexpensive. Second, they come back year after year and are very easy to grow. Third, the nice ones (like 'Stella D'oro' and Strawyberry Candy') bloom over and over and over. Very rare to find a perennial flower that blooms more than once. Fourth reason; even when they are not blooming, they look like nice ornamental grasses.

We use them in almost every planting install. I always show my customer pictures of them and I have yet to find a customer who didn't like them.

Below is a pic of how a 'Stella D'oro' usually looks this time of year.....

BGL-florida
08-13-2004, 12:03 AM
Yep, it's a day lily. There're tons of varieties. They look like crap right about now when the heat gets too intense. During the spring, most places in the country they are The BOMB.

They're tought to kill even with glyphosate. They'll probably be back. What they hate most is---too much shade. They need the sun.