PDA

View Full Version : Small residentials "Favorite Mower"??

2k1yzfr1
08-11-2004, 12:44 AM
I am thinking about downsizing lawn maintenance next year and only mowing part time and trying to focus more on sprinkler installs. I have about 70 residentials and 50 of those are 10K sq ft or less. At the moment I have a 52" toro z500, a 36" exmark metro with a mulch kit, and a 36" side discharge scag. I feel that the 52" is too big for these little yards that's why I find myself using the 36's much more than I should be. I have an excellent dealer that carries Toro, Gravely, and soon to be Exmark, so I would need to stick with those brands unless I came across a Walker. If I go back to 30-40 yards all in the 8000-10000 sq ft range which 2 mowers would you own?? :confused:

tiedeman
08-11-2004, 12:45 AM
48" and 32" size mowers. Or are you talking about specific brand?

2k1yzfr1
08-11-2004, 12:50 AM
Yeah specific brand model....I don't need anything smaller than a 36" though.

MikeLT1Z28
08-11-2004, 12:54 AM
honestly, for small yards walker does do a really good job if it's smooth and flat. you can get a mulching deck unless you just like collecting clippings. in the winter they do a great job doing clean ups. as for the exmark, that's all i run now. i use them on stuff from 2 acres down to duplex lots.

2k1yzfr1
08-11-2004, 01:09 AM
I've thought about a Walker and putting a 42" mulching deck on it or possibly a 48" GHS deck, but I've been reading on here that they clog when wet. How does the Walker mulching deck do?? I bought a mulching kit for my Z500 and used it a day before pulling it off and throwing it in the shed. With the mulch kit on my toro it bogged down way too much and seemed to make a huge mess when I crossed the sidewalk or stopped to make a turn. I also had the mulching kit on it when we were getting 3-4 days of straight rain, so it wasn't the most ideal conditions. With the walkers can you mow a average growth 8k sq ft yard without dumping the hopper?? Thanks for the help.

Justin

PaulJ
08-11-2004, 01:24 AM
Hustler 48" super walkbehind wiht a sulky and accelerator.

I use it on everything from <3000 to >30000sqft great manuverability and great preformance.

dishboy
08-11-2004, 01:26 AM
Exmark 36 in TTHP w/ecs and mulch kit

2k1yzfr1
08-11-2004, 01:39 AM
I've never thought a floating deck on a 36" was needed here. Most of my yards are perfectly flat and everything will be cut at 3.5" so the change of height isn't really important either. There isn't a Hustler dealer within 80 miles of me so I'll probably have to overlook that brand. I've read about the hydro walkbehinds on here lately and just wonder why everyone likes them so much?? I can see on the bigger heavier 52" floating deck mowers, but it seems like little fixed deck 36" are so light you can just sling them around. With that said I've never used a hydro walkbehind with fear of falling in love with it and having to replace my 2 belt drives with hydros.

2k1yzfr1
08-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Anymore opinions??

Fareway Lawncare
08-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Tracer HP...either 36" or 48" depending on Gate Sizes...The Hustler is too long for those small res...The TracerHP's are Nice & Compact & can Mulch everything....Walker Walkbehind w/42" mulch deck Mabe...never tried one...but I don't like Walker Riders on props that small...

txlawnking
08-11-2004, 07:46 PM
A 36" Stand- up machine of some sort. Surfer, or Wright Stander..

NNJLandman
08-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Scag 36 gets throw just about any fence gate and can fit into smaller lawns. Works good for my area.

Jeff

John Gamba
08-11-2004, 07:50 PM
48" Sentar.
John

ScCo
08-11-2004, 10:10 PM
48" machine...either walk behind or stander. That's what I'm wanting here myself.

Fareway Lawncare
08-11-2004, 10:13 PM
48" are Great Unless you Live in the Land of 37" Gates !

MJB
08-12-2004, 01:22 AM
Walker mulching decks are not really deep enough. The decks are shallow, and will build up quickly and bog down. I have used one on certain lawns for the last 8 yrs. 1 to 1 1/2" max and they do a good job, but I still run over it twice, if the grass is any longer and you might have to run over it 3 or 4 times. Demo before you buy. The baggers work great unless you have wet over fertilized lawns. If you control the water and fert then you really can make a Walker work great for you. I use a Walker. Exmark Z, and Grasshopper and love all 3 mowers.

Itsgottobegreen
08-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Well it looks like other have beaten me to it. But a 36" or 42" Wright stander would be your best bet on the tiny lawns you do. Nothing can keep up with them on those small compact lawns.

SouthernFried
08-12-2004, 11:40 AM
I do nothing but residentials...most of them are smaller ones with small gates. I do have some 1 acre estates tho.

I have been using nothing but 36" Gravely WB's for 20 yrs. It's a rare day indeed I can't get them through a gate. They have served me excellently over the yrs, and I use a 2 wheel sulky on 95% of all the yards. I also have a 50" Gravely WB...I have used it 1 time all yr. The newer Gravely's now have bigger back tires, so they move a lot faster than the smaller wheeled older Gravelys...so I'll use the 36" even on the acre estates I do.

I can't think of a better setup for my particular mowing needs...and beleive me, I've looked at everything. The 36" Gravely's have served me well for 20 yrs.

I can't complain.

2k1yzfr1
08-12-2004, 05:14 PM
We don't have a dealer around that carries wright. I might replace one of my 36" with a 44" Gravely walkbehind......that would help me out with all the 48" gates we have. The more I read about the Walker makes me think that might not be the right choice since our St Augustine here grows about a foot a week from april until july. I would spend more time driving to the truck to dump the hopper than mowing.

PaulJ
08-13-2004, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Tracer HP...either 36" or 48" depending on Gate Sizes...The Hustler is too long for those small res...The TracerHP's are Nice & Compact & can Mulch everything....Walker Walkbehind w/42" mulch deck Mabe...never tried one...but I don't like Walker Riders on props that small...

Once again far Away is spouting BS about hustler. He doesn't use one so he doesn't know what it can and can't do

I use a hustler walk wiht a sulky on lawns under 3000 sq ft. no prob. the only place I can't use it is on islands narrower than 48"
or if ther is a narrow gate.
My hustler dealer is 60 miles away. before I found them I was talking to one 100miles away. there are other brand s closer but the hustler IS that much better.

Fareway Lawncare
08-13-2004, 12:39 AM
The Longer the Walk the more Perimiter Cuts...The harder it is to turn in Tight areas...

Regardless, Hustler is introducing a Compact line of Walks including a Super Compact 48" & 36" which should be Much Better on Small Props than the SWB

Shady Brook
08-13-2004, 12:59 AM
I would personally use my 60" Super Z on lawns that size, and even smaller. If your lawns have alot of undulations where you can not get a level cut with a larger deck, or you have alot of gated yards I would understand why you feel the need to have a smaller mower.

The Standers are very nice for residencial. They have a short wheel base, and are very quick. You could pick whatever deck size suits your fancy.

If I had unlimited time and money I may use a 21" on my small lawns. It is hard to beat the end result of a good 21" and I believe it causes less trama to stressed turf. My time is money, so the faster I can cut and leave a good result the better.... I would go with the biggest fastest mower that will fit your properties.

Good luck
Jay

PrecisionLawnsInc
08-13-2004, 02:01 AM
I love our Wright 36" stander. It shines in the smaller yards but also has the ground speed to tackle large yards without hoping off and onto something bigger if you are going at it alone. It also gets through 9 out of 10 gates (what good is a big mower you cant get in the yard...)

just my 2 cents worth

Ty

PrecisionLawnsInc
08-13-2004, 02:07 AM
...also has anyone used the Great Dane walk-behind with the wing deck? can you mow with the wing up or not? can the wing be angled down at all for mowing along an edge/dropoff of some sort.

Thanks

Ty

FrankenScagMachines
08-13-2004, 03:30 AM
With these mowers of mine, i can handle the absolute tiniest of lawns up to lawns of several acres. I currently service lawns 2 acres and under (not a choice, it's just what i have, in other words i'll gladly do a 5 acre job or even 10 if asked to).
The 52" Ferris really does go everywhere but gated properties. On those gated places, I use the 36" TTHP and it is awesome. It's fast, does a sweet job cutting and striping, and plenty powerful (17hp V-twin). The floating deck is nice to adjust heights quickly. The Lawn Boy 21" i really only use it on one small front lawn (half of a duplex) the lady insists on 21" and it really does look better than the other mowers on that particular lawn. i like the 36 and 52 combo for many reasons: 52" has more trim side than 48" and still goes the same places for me. 36" is a little bigger yet still fits through the same gates, for me. The blades on each are interchangable so i only have two different size blades on the shelf: 21" mower and 18" long blades for 36/52" mowers. this is really handy and cheaper IMO. For me, I can't imagine what could be more effecient for what I do. Later on when i get more larger properties, I may add a 60" in addition to what i already have, but i beleive that the 52" will be the primary machine for a long while. it's a very useful size. I mowed my 2 hilly acres yard with it the other day in just 35 minutes!!! thats right! (no trim that was just mow time) and the same mower i use on properties that take me only 10 minutes to mow, trim and blow by myself! I would say that it's the most versatile size out there IMHO.

moremowing4me
08-13-2004, 04:30 AM
I've recently purchased a gravely 34z rider and it works exceptionaly well in the smaller yards with less fatigue than a walk-behind

PaulJ
08-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
The Longer the Walk the more Perimiter Cuts...The harder it is to turn in Tight areas...

Wrong again far away

my hustler walk takes less perimiter passes than the lesco belt drive I was using.
I cna turn around easily wiht one pass around the outside.
I have done some without going around the outside at all if mowing at an angle.

The other mowers mentioned can do this also. any hydro walk in the hands of a skilled operator can mow in tight spaces of in tiny lawns.

Aaron Marshall
08-13-2004, 01:16 PM
I have a lot of smaller residentials and I love my walker for it. I have a 48" GHS deck. It can fit in most any areas, and it goes around anything. I've heard bad stuff about the mulching decks. The only downfall is having to bag everything, but it makes it look nice. Hope this helped

txlawnking
08-13-2004, 01:27 PM
I agree with Eric... For me the 52"er goes anywhere that a 48" would go. And my next mower will be a 36"er for the gated props and such.. A couple of my lawns aren't even 10,000 sq ft... I love being in and out of those places, door to door in under 27 minutes flat, Mow, Trim, Edge and Blow......Solo

Fareway Lawncare
08-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Paul J. I'm sure your Hustler is Very Nice but it is Also Very Long & for reasons you can't seem to Grasp this is a Hinderance on Small Landcaped Props....I'm sure your Hustler does turn Better than a Belt Drive....

Fortunatley Hustler does not have the Mind-Set that the SWB is the Bestest Mower Ever & no Other Mower Would be Better Anytime, Anywhere, Anyhow because they are Bringing out a Super Compact Line of Walks which Will be better Suited to Small, Landscaped Props...

BTW Really think about it Then You'll Understand Why More Perimiter Cuts are needed w/a longer Unit...Think Hard...

bobbygedd
08-13-2004, 07:46 PM
fareway is right

Turfcutters Plus
08-13-2004, 07:55 PM
36 toro hydro t-bar with 15hp kohler and proslide and Quick shoot like side discharge plate with control handle.I absolutely love it.I'm solo and have 2!Ah life is good,thanks to the good lord!:)

PaulJ
08-14-2004, 02:41 AM
So how can you need less than 1 perimiter cut?? or 0 perimiter passes? I did a section today that is about 20" by 30" . Mowed it at an angle no perimiter pass.

I supose some people would like a smaller mower but I just don't see a need for it. If I have a spot I can't turn around in I just back up for the next pass. the h-bar controls make this easy but it can be done with any hydro.

The situations that I can't use the hustler on are few.

1. fast food place with islands narrower than 48"
2. back yard with 34" gates
3. small lake yard with above ground sprinklers to go around and a section only accesable up steps and over a deck.

2k1yzfr1
08-14-2004, 10:48 AM
I agree with all of you on the Stander. I think the 36 or 42" stander would be a hell of a 5k -10k mower, but since we don't have a dealer within 100 miles I am going to have to pass. The more I get to thinking I'm just going to keep my 52" Z for the simple fact that I'm not going to take a $2000 hit on the mower for only 125 hours of usage. The yards that I am "not as efficeint" on are the yards with 48" gates that my 44" exmark ZTR would go through. I think it is kinda stupid having 2 36" mowers, but my exmark has a mulch kit on it all the time and the scag is side discharge. BTW how much are the 36" or 42" wright standers?? Thanks for the info

Justin

Turfcutters Plus
08-14-2004, 04:48 PM
There's NOTHING stupid about having 2 36"mowers.One is older,perfect for back-up.I do MANY gated back yards with 36"gates.30 out of my 70 accounts have gates.I accually have 1 more 36"gravely belt drive.You can't possibly have enough mowers if that's the main thing you do!!!:confused:

Turf Dancer
08-14-2004, 06:02 PM
In this area 8000 to 10000 SQ FT. Lawns are large. I would have a 52" and a 21" but then again there are not more than a couple of my lawns that I could do with just a 52" or a 36" I need a 21" almost every stop. If you have as many lawns as you say then I would keep the ones that can be done with the 52" and then the most profitable or the ones that fit best with your route. If I could I would run a 36" Exmark TTHP with an Accelerator Bagger on it. 21" mowers are a pain but in my market they are a must have mower!

dishboy
08-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by PaulJ
So how can you need less than 1 perimiter cut?? or 0 perimiter passes? I did a section today that is about 20" by 30" . Mowed it at an angle no perimiter pass.

I supose some people would like a smaller mower but I just don't see a need for it. If I have a spot I can't turn around in I just back up for the next pass. the h-bar controls make this easy but it can be done with any hydro.

The situations that I can't use the hustler on are few.

1. fast food place with islands narrower than 48"
2. back yard with 34" gates
3. small lake yard with above ground sprinklers to go around and a section only accesable up steps and over a deck.

Regardless of how you can maneuver the Huslter they still are to heavy IMO and I hate the tire tracks they leave. Fareway is right, the Exmark TTHP is the machine if finish cut matters.

John Gamba
08-14-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by dishboy
the Exmark TTHP is the machine if finish cut matters.

Not till you cut with Huslers NEW DECK.
John

dishboy
08-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Not till you cut with Huslers NEW DECK.
John

So can you get it in a 36in under 650 lbs?

Tom

PaulJ
08-15-2004, 01:17 AM
Weight exmark tthp 48"
(without gas) ) 595 lb (270 kg)

Dry weight gravely pro h 48"
690 lb

Weight hustler hydro walk 48"
650 lbs (294.8 kg).

Wieght hustler super walk 48"
702 lbs (318.42 kg)

Here are some weights from some of our sponsors web sites.
Looks like the exmark hp is lightest but both hustlers have larger tires and thus spread the weight out more = lower ground preasure = less rutting

I "pop" up and down curbs all the time with mine.

John Gamba
08-15-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by dishboy
So can you get it in a 36in under 650 lbs?

Tom

I think so. But i'm not sure. 05 will be an exciting year.
John

bobbygedd
08-15-2004, 01:22 PM
odin, what is with your pre occupation with violence? they have medicine for that you know. it's in tablet form, or, my prefference, it comes in little silver cans.

hardtail70
08-16-2004, 11:53 PM
I run the following:
a 52" scag hydro walk behind with a single wheel sulky. $1000.00 used
a 36" scag belt drive. Also $1000.00 used
a 21" lawn boy I forget but around $350.00
I had a Sthil FS80 trimmer ($ 269.95)and a BR420 backpack blower ($399.95) (stolen off my trailer this past sunday) Sucks to be me.
an old Sthil stick edger that I found abandond.
a Sthill BR55 $50.00 used
and a Mc Clane gas edger $50.00 used.

the used scag's were old and abused but with a little fixing up run great. and as long as the blades are sharp do a great jub cutting lawns. I do mostly small properties but use the 52" wherever I can and can in a lot of cases be in and out in under 15 min. I have a couple properties that are close to an acre and take about 45 min to an houre including edging triming and blowing. the business I am in I can't pick and choose the properties as I work for a large bank and am committed to cut all their lawns. the 36" sits on the trailer most of the time but comes in handy for the properties that have a 48" or 36" gate (I don't believe a 48" mower will fit through a 36" gate). I will eventually go to floating decks and hydro drive on the 36" I have a lot of uneven territory and I think a floting deck would do a better job. I think I could get away with a 36 and dump the 52 if it had hydro drive. I found the belt drive scag I have wont pull me around on a sulky without burning belts. The most they will pay to cut is 1 acre so I am thinking I should buy a 36" hydro walk behind w/ a sulky and sell or garage my 52" and get a smaller trailer. I do alot of inner city properties here in Akron and it is tough to find a place for my 12' trailer attached to the back of my 1997 F250HD extended cab longbed truck. I would appriciate any input. This is my 2nd year doing lawn maintinance and am kinda green at this.

JON K
08-17-2004, 08:18 PM
I have a Walker with 42'' GHS deck and a Greatdane 36'' WB with a proslide handles all the 8000-10000 sq ft yards I can find. I run the walker for 4 seasons now and it does clog some with wet gras (long and wet) but not a real problem. Yes you can mow a 8000-10000 yard with the 9 bushel hopper.

Jon