PDA

View Full Version : Scag Cub 52" vs. Exmark Lazer HP 52"

MLK8704
08-11-2004, 12:51 AM
Thinking about trading my current mower for either a Scag 52" Tiger Cub with 23hp Kaw or 24hp Honda or a eXmark 52" Lazer HP with 23hp Kaw. Price isn't an issue really. Scag dealer here is awesome on service. Exmark is ok, haven't dealt with them alot though so i don't know.

Please don't just post and say "my Scag is better or my eXmark is better" thats no good. we all brag on our machines. i want to know why you think it's better. try to sell me on one over the other.

Things that matter to me:
Cut quality
Striping
Ride comfort
Handling/Performance
Hill-holding
Good design- well built, strong components,
Simplicity/easy to work on and maintain
Reliable and durable
Fast cutting speed
Good company support
Parts interchangability

Thank you in advance. This is my first post but I've been looking on here a while. seem like a great group and i am sure i'll learn alot.

MikeLT1Z28
08-11-2004, 01:00 AM
i vote for the lazer but i am biased :) the cut on the lazer is awesome with or without the mulch kit. striping should be good with most mowers, more grass dependant than mowers. the exmark offers a suspension seat but i get by just fine with the stock. performance is awesome, almost 1000 hours on it now. holds a hill great, find 65hoss and ask him about hills on lazer HP's. he has some pics too. great design, great factory support (check the exmark forum out here under the manufacturers forums). you can actually get them to compare their machines to any others that they have info and tell you why you should by theirs. demo demo demo.

MLK8704
08-11-2004, 01:02 AM
Thanks. I do love eXmark cut but i'm experiencing bad problems with my current machine's dealer (none of the above brands) and i've realized why a good dealer is important. i know that you can't get better than my Scag dealer that is why i'm leaning toward them. They look like a very simple and open machine, easy to work on.

MikeLT1Z28
08-11-2004, 01:04 AM
i can't offer an opinion on scag so i won't even try to go into that, plenty of others on here can though.

odin
08-11-2004, 01:10 AM
ive owned them both...
easier to maintain -scag cub
Lazer stripes better ..
well built --tiger cub is built like a tank much more heavy.
hill holding ...tit for tat
ride comfort-tiger cub by a hair
cutting speed about the same ..cub is 10.0 lazer hp is 9.5
handling -tiger cub
company support exmark

reliable ..tit for tat

cut quality .tiger cub

MLK8704
08-11-2004, 01:18 AM
Thanks Odin, thats what i'm looking for, a very fair evaluation! So you'd pick Scag if the dealer is lots better than eXmark?
Thanks

MikeLT1Z28
08-11-2004, 01:24 AM
oh, welcome to the site by the way.

MLK8704
08-11-2004, 01:26 AM
Thank you Mike. thanks for replying.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-11-2004, 07:35 AM
I have a tiger cub and like it very well. What sold me on it was the dealer and the ease of servicing it, oil change , belt change, and plenty of grease fittings. I never have owned an Exmark so I cant comment on them

65hoss
08-11-2004, 08:47 AM
Don't own a scag. Not looking at them either. I have bought 2 new 52"HP eXmark Lazers since 2000. I have staked my business to some degree on eXmark. Cutting is over 1/2 of my business and all mowers are eXmarks. The factory support is second to none. I can pick up the phone and call the toll free number and talk with them anytime. The cut quality is great, customers love the finished look of their properties. In 5 seasons running eXmarks I have had very very few down times. My machines have spent lots of time making me money.

Using a Z is part machine and part operator. The best possible machine in the hands of a moron is just an ok setup.

Make the dealer part of your concern, but demo both units on YOUR properties to see what you like and think is best. There is not ONE perfect mower for everyone. People, properties, and business are different. Weigh all options before you sink that kind of money.

Steve1
08-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by 65hoss

Make the dealer part of your concern, but demo both units on YOUR properties to see what you like and think is best. There is not ONE perfect mower for everyone. People, properties, and business are different. Weigh all options before you sink that kind of money.

Absolutely the best possible advice for ANYONE considering a new piece of equipment.

Demo, Demo, Demo and consider the dealer quality as a HUGE factor in your choice.

MLK8704
08-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Ok I really am leaning toward the Scag. I tried a friend's 52" 23hp kaw Lazer HP this morning and it is nicely built and good layout (except the controls are under your legs i don't care for that but i know most Z's are like that). I really love the eXmark cut and stripe but if the Scag can do the same, or at least with a striping attachment, then I'd go for Scag in a hearbeat becuase of the dealer. Another friend has a 52" 23hp Kaw Tiger Cub, I'll see if i can get him to let me play on it some. Around here, the eXmark lawns look better than the Scag lawns but again i know it's 90% dealer and 10% machine that counts, but i want the best for my customers lawns.
Thanks.

D&R
08-11-2004, 01:06 PM
What part of Inidiana are you in?

MLK8704
08-11-2004, 01:22 PM
D&R- i sent you a PM. thanks.

MikeLT1Z28
08-11-2004, 01:43 PM
fyi most of exmarks Z's now feature right hand side controls (pto, choke, throttle) on the front part of the gas tank. there are still a few that have it mounted under the legs.

65hoss
08-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by MLK8704
Ok I really am leaning toward the Scag. I tried a friend's 52" 23hp kaw Lazer HP this morning and it is nicely built and good layout (except the controls are under your legs i don't care for that but i know most Z's are like that). I really love the eXmark cut and stripe but if the Scag can do the same, or at least with a striping attachment, then I'd go for Scag in a hearbeat becuase of the dealer. Another friend has a 52" 23hp Kaw Tiger Cub, I'll see if i can get him to let me play on it some. Around here, the eXmark lawns look better than the Scag lawns but again i know it's 90% dealer and 10% machine that counts, but i want the best for my customers lawns.
Thanks.

The new HP's have the controls on the top of the tanks now. The one you tried was a 2003 or before.

MikeLT1Z28
08-11-2004, 01:45 PM
i don't know what's worse, the fact we both typed that at almost the same time, or that we need rain so bad we are both on here at noon.

65hoss
08-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Friend of mines new 2004 Lazer HP. See the controls?

65hoss
08-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by MikeLT1Z28
i don't know what's worse, the fact we both typed that at almost the same time, or that we need rain so bad we are both on here at noon.

Yea, except I have a lunch meeting in 15 minutes with the owner of a landscape company. See what happens.

MikeLT1Z28
08-11-2004, 01:47 PM
i'm eating lunch now, i have a few more i might be able to get by with doing.