PDA

View Full Version : A single blade on a 32inch

Kingbman1
08-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Does anyone have a 32inch mower with one 32inch blade. Does it seem to scalp more? hows the quality of the cut?

tiedeman
08-11-2004, 12:40 AM
never have had a single, just two singles. That is a long blade though if single. It would be 33+ inches

TClawn
08-11-2004, 01:31 AM
I don't think that you would get a very good quality cut with a blade that long. since the blade is longer than a 16" blade the engine has to work harder to turn the blade at the same rpm as the 16".

broken leg
08-11-2004, 04:31 AM
I had a Toro 32 walk put a bagger on it. Was on of the best cutting mowers I had. Did a beautiful job. Had a customer that would not let me put anything else in his yard. Had to sell because I can not use a walk behind any more because of leg. I use a Walker mower mower in stead.

CamLand
08-11-2004, 07:17 AM
i have the same Toro Proline 32.one big blade...

Wynnscapes
08-11-2004, 07:53 AM
I still have a 32" Toro Proline Walk-Behind w/a Kohler command (standard HP) that I bought several years ago......1 Big Blade.
It cuts like a champ!!!! But, U have to be real wary of sharpening that one blade for sure......and, 1 large blade like that will scalp occasionally more often on bumpy terrain, when the body bounces, but what mower doesn't?!?!?!?
That Recycler deck that is closed on that 32" model is still one of the best designs for cutting I've seen in all my years of mowing......it just flat plain cuts clean & neat.
In my opinion, if time were not an issue on large properties we would use 32" walk-behinds on everything versus a ZTR.

BCSteel
08-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Thats one big ass gas tank on that pic there!

geogunn
08-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Kingbman1
Does anyone have a 32inch mower with one 32inch blade. Does it seem to scalp more?

what does the legnth of the blade have to do with scalping?

GEO :confused:

Pecker
08-11-2004, 11:14 AM
I have the same Toro 32" Proline the Broken Leg posted and it cuts great. In fact, it leaves as good of a cut as my ZTR most of the time. Scalping is no more a problem with the single blade than any other setup. Blade length is not the contributor in scalping in this case. Also, the blade is more like 31.5", not 33++.

scottishmaximus
08-11-2004, 04:30 PM
Blade length does matter when it comes to scalping. The front and back wheels are further apart which allows the crests of hills more exposure to blades.

I believe that the longer the blade, the better the cut in high grass. The longer blade allows more time and room for grass to stand up. Same concept as a bush hog.

As far as power to spin the blade, the longer blade has more momentum, making it not only harder to start but also harder to stop.

broken leg
08-11-2004, 05:16 PM
As far as hard to start the blade is not engaged until you push the button on the electric clutch. You have to use this mower to appreciate the cut.

tiedeman
08-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by ******
I have the same Toro 32" Proline the Broken Leg posted and it cuts great. In fact, it leaves as good of a cut as my ZTR most of the time. Scalping is no more a problem with the single blade than any other setup. Blade length is not the contributor in scalping in this case. Also, the blade is more like 31.5", not 33++.

that is wierd that it is shorter, because all other mower blades (most that I know of) are longer in total than the deck size.

Example, my one 48" mower takes 16 1/2 blades

geogunn
08-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
that is wierd that it is shorter, because all other mower blades (most that I know of) are longer in total than the deck size.

Example, my one 48" mower takes 16 1/2 blades

could that be because the middle spindle is located forward of the plane of the rear two spindles so that there is a slight overlap?

tiedeman
08-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by geogunn
could that be because the middle spindle is located forward of the plane of the rear two spindles so that there is a slight overlap?

duh:o

geogunn
08-11-2004, 10:53 PM
yo tiedman--whaddayamean?

you posted the it was unusual that the single blade measured less than the cut of the unit.

then the 16.5 X 3 =49.5 inches for the 48" deck.

I comment that there is an overlap, middle blade up fromt.

and I get a DUH? work with me here!

GEO :D

tiedeman
08-11-2004, 10:58 PM

you posted the it was unusual that the single blade measured less than the cut of the unit.

I was having a brain fart. I can't believe what I said about the blade length, and you reminded me of how much of an idiot I was for saying that. That is why I said duh (with the embarrassed face)

tiedeman
08-11-2004, 11:06 PM

it was no disrespect to you geo man:)

geogunn
08-11-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
I was having a brain fart. I can't believe what I said about the blade length, and you reminded me of how much of an idiot I was for saying that. That is why I said duh (with the embarrassed face)

well OK! but you made me check my math TWICE!!! LOL

John Gamba
08-12-2004, 06:30 AM
With the one blade i have found that its the greatest WET CUTTING mower around. Oh if you bag the grass.
John