PDA

View Full Version : cashing a check? i'll need your fingerprints...

bobbygedd
08-11-2004, 09:00 AM
i went to cash a $1,000 check at a customers bank. the teller requested my fingerprints. naturally i flipped, and made a huge scene. i explained that the last time someone took my fingerprints, well, things just didn't work out for me. anyone ever get asked to give a fingerprint to cash a check?

fga
08-11-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
i went to cash a $1,000 check at a customers bank. the teller requested my fingerprints. naturally i flipped, and made a huge scene. i explained that the last time someone took my fingerprints, well, things just didn't work out for me. anyone ever get asked to give a fingerprint to cash a check? well that's what happens when you go into a bank in the middle of the summer wearing a ski mask......

offer a urine sample instead.

wriken
08-11-2004, 09:05 AM
I notice on one of my payroll checks that I write to a employee, has his fingerprint on it.

ofishil
08-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Happens to me all the time... Well for checks over 100 dollars or so.

geogunn
08-11-2004, 09:20 AM
bob-- their finger print stamp is for psychological purposes.

it is to make people that have concerns about cashing checks think twice before scamming them and obviously it works.

but it's no big deal because your finger prints are all over that check anyway. the paper is manufactured to be sensitive to fingerprint oils.

it is a safety feature...much like signature line.

anyway......you ought to be depositing that check in YOUR account instead of leaving fingerprints at banks all over town.

glad I could help.

GEO :)

Grassmechanic
08-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Comerica Bank has been requiring thumbprints for customers that do not have accounts with them for over 3 years now.

GrassBustersLawn
08-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Why would you cash a client check at THEIR bank? Why not deposit it into YOUR BUSINESS account at YOUR bank?

Mike

Runner
08-11-2004, 09:56 AM
LOL Ahh,...could you just make that out to me,.. my name is........
or,...if you just got cash, that would be cool, too..........:o
People do this, so in case they're audited, and their account gets audited, there is no trace of this money. It's real hard to find.

jt5019
08-11-2004, 10:04 AM
It happens to me at one bank i go to ,no big deal im not doing anything illegal.

Remsen1
08-11-2004, 11:16 AM
occassionally I'll cash checks at their bank if I'm worried about the check being returned.

gogetter
08-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by GrassBustersLawn
Why would you cash a client check at THEIR bank? Why not deposit it into YOUR BUSINESS account at YOUR bank?

Mike

Two possible reasons that I can think of.

1. This is a problem customer that may be giving you a bad check, or you fear may put a "stop payment" on the check for some reason. So you take it directly to the bank after they give it to you.

2. You need cash that day and perhaps your account is on the low side. So you hit their bank and cash it.

Team Gopher
08-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Hi BobbyGedd,

Here is an interesting article that relates to this topic.

Thumbing for cash Banks fingerprint noncustomers who cash checks. (http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/business/040404/banks.shtml)

bobbygedd
08-11-2004, 03:26 PM
took it to thier bank for mistrust reasons. it's a deposit on a job i'm starting tuesday. last time a client bounced a check, it took my bank 30 + days to notify me. by this time the job will be long done already, and maybe the 2nd check will bounce too?

GeeVee
08-11-2004, 04:05 PM
Its the norm down here.

Paper trails are harder to find when the IRS wants to audit you.

CamLand
08-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
Comerica Bank has been requiring thumbprints for customers that do not have accounts with them for over 3 years now.

I was going to say the same thing,i had a customer give me a check for well over 1,000.00 and i had to be printed...

rtyus
08-11-2004, 06:16 PM
At least one local bank here has been fingerprinting anyone who doesn't have an account there to cash a check for a while now.

tiedeman
08-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
i went to cash a $1,000 check at a customers bank. the teller requested my fingerprints. naturally i flipped, and made a huge scene. i explained that the last time someone took my fingerprints, well, things just didn't work out for me. anyone ever get asked to give a fingerprint to cash a check?

I remember about 5+ years ago at Meijers when I bought a playstation there they fingerprinted me on my own check. I was blown away by it

odin
08-11-2004, 07:15 PM
did you have them write the check out to your name instead of a business account .....bank wont give you cash for a check written out to a business's name .

tiedeman
08-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by odin
did you have them write the check out to your name instead of a business account .....bank wont give you cash for a check written out to a business's name .

I hate that. I first have to deposit the checks in the checking (to show the money in the account for tax purposes) and then I can withdraw cash off from those checks I deposited

Green&Growing
08-11-2004, 10:42 PM
A friend of mine from the Army is a branch manager for Bank of America and they started thumb printing a couple years ago. Now most national banks do take prints for cashed checks over a certain amount, Usually $100. Only when you cash the check.

I think your smart for cashing it right away....do everything you can protect yourself.

MJB
08-12-2004, 01:11 AM
Here they fingerprint you and charge you $5. BOA said they don't want non customers making the line at the teller to long. Ridiculous isn't it? What do you do when you get a new customer and don't want to get ripped off? I hate that.

odin
08-12-2004, 01:17 AM
well guess im a bad bussinessman ..they write it out to my biz name and i deposit it in the bank...i get very few bounded checks .

Mikes Lawn Landscape
08-12-2004, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by odin

They will give you a cashiers check made out to your business.

WoodBrothersLC
08-12-2004, 02:04 AM
MJB is correct. Here they charge $5, for any check over $100 if you're not a member at their bank, and they take the fingerprints as well.

HighGrass
08-12-2004, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by GrassBustersLawn

Mike

I do this to insure that the customer ( granted i don't do it with ALL customers) have enough funds instead of bouncing it at my own.